OT: World Cup

Ron*

I'm kind of surprised we don't have a thread on this yet.

Well, here it is.

Anyway, this **** is fantastic! That Germany Ghana game was a sleeper and then 4 goals, just like that! Woke me up, lol.

I've been religiously watching the World Cup since 1982, when the Italians took it. It never gets old. I really don't watch soccer (futbol, whatever you wish to call it), except for when L.A. Galaxy makes their annual run in the playoffs and the World Cup.

This year has been a blast, so far.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Aren't the soccer fans in general in the same class as the raider fans? I'm not a HUGE soccer fan, but I do like to watch our men's and women's games, once they reach the finals. Until then, I'll just follow this thread and spray graffiti.

Ron*

Aren't the soccer fans in general in the same class as the raider fans? I'm not a HUGE soccer fan, but I do like to watch our men's and women's games, once they reach the finals. Until then, I'll just follow this thread and spray graffiti.

World Cup fans are much much better than Raider fans who just happen to be better than soccer fans during their respective countries' regular seasons. I've never witnessed the boorish bordering on criminal behavior fans exhibit during regular season soccer games at the World Cup.*

*At least since 1982. I can't comment on 1978 and prior to.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
large.gif

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
This World Cup has been pretty sweet. I was glad that Germany managed to tie up with Ghana(DAT Klose Sub...) since it essentially makes tomorrow's game vs. Portugal a 'Win and you're in' scenario. It's gonna be a reeeaaaallll tall order, but this WC has been so crazy, I don't know what to expect.

Ron*

Damn, Bosnia-Herzegovina just got robbed by the linesman.

Even though I am rooting for Nigeria in this match, it now feels tainted if they should win. :(

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
World Cup fans are much much better than Raider fans who just happen to be better than soccer fans during their respective countries' regular seasons. I've never witnessed the boorish bordering on criminal behavior fans exhibit during regular season soccer games at the World Cup.*

*At least since 1982. I can't comment on 1978 and prior to.

Yeah, but soccer fans piss in the stands. They don't even make an effort to go to the restrooms.

Ron*

Yeah, but soccer fans piss in the stands. They don't even make an effort to go to the restrooms.

Have you actually seen that at the World Cup?

There are plenty of "crowd shots" during the games and all I have seen is what you would expect: mugging for the camera.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Have you actually seen that at the World Cup?

There are plenty of "crowd shots" during the games and all I have seen is what you would expect: mugging for the camera.

No, but I don't follow it that closely. All I know is there are plenty of europeans pissing in the stands, from what I've heard.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
My Final Four: Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, South Korea (Dark Horse).

Also, Kobe Bryant picked Brazil over Argentina as the final match and result.

Ron*

Just out of curiosity, who's favor to win it this year? And what are the odds on US making it to the finals?

Spain was the defending champion but got iced in the first two games and they are OUT.

England is also a surprise to be eliminated so early.

The USA is not considered a realistic contender. Plus one of their principal players was injured in the first game vs. Ghana. Most experts believed that Ghana outplayed the USA in the first game; however, the USA did win that game and got three points.

The USA may very well make it to the 16-team knockout round, but they aren't considered to go far if they do.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Spain was the defending champion but got iced in the first two games and they are OUT.

England is also a surprise to be eliminated so early.

The USA is not considered a realistic contender. Plus one of their principal players was injured in the first game vs. Ghana. Most experts believed that Ghana outplayed the USA in the first game; however, the USA did win that game and got three points.

The USA may very well make it to the 16-team knockout round, but they aren't considered to go far if they do.

Why don't you make a poll to see who's going to win?

Ron*

My Final Four: Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, South Korea (Dark Horse).

Also, Kobe Bryant picked Brazil over Argentina as the final match and result.

Look out for Mexico also.

And France has become a dark horse of sorts.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
A win tomorrow would be the biggest win for USA soccer since beating Columbia in 1994.

We've got a good chance too. Supposedly Ronaldo isn't 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad