• Netherlands

Votes: 41 83.7%
  • USA

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
For US to have any chance of making it further next year, there needs to be major improvements in key areas. Namely CB, ST, and coach.
The thing that has me saying this stuff even though they don't have a good striker is that....there are not very many countries with decent youth strikers right now. Makes me wonder how some teams expect to score. Maybe four years from now, someone like Ferreira will be more ready to play, or maybe Reyna will be a #9.

The problem is all those attacking players along with Weah and Sargent are all right footed and mostly play the right side.

In other words like the team that beat us today.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You seem to have forgotten that Jurgen was coaching the team heading towards the 2018 WC and he got fired after too many losses during the qualifiers. That is why the US has inexperienced players for 2022.
What? This post makes 0 sense. Did Jurgen make it to the round of 16 in 2014? Yes. Then he was the same level as Gregg. Results are what matter. Gregg failed and so did Jurgen. Neither were anywhere near good enough.
The thing that has me saying this stuff even though they don't have a good striker is that....there are not very many countries with decent youth strikers right now. Makes me wonder how some teams expect to score. Maybe four years from now, someone like Ferreira will be more ready to play, or maybe Reyna will be a #9.

I think Pepi and Sargent look promising. Both were sorely missed this game. Weah also should be playing more central.

Reactions: gary69

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's funny because striker is probably the easiest position to recruit kids for. It's every child's first chosen position, all you gotta do is keeping them at it. The lack of striker prospects is as a result almost certainly down to youth coaches pulling the talented kids away from the position.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
What? This post makes 0 sense. Did Jurgen make it to the round of 16 in 2014? Yes. Then he was the same level as Gregg. Results are what matter. Gregg failed and so did Jurgen. Neither were anywhere near good enough.

I think Pepi and Sargent look promising. Both were sorely missed this game. Weah also should be playing more central.
I guess it depends on how you define failure. Klinsmann brought in half a team from Germany and didn't do any better than Gregg. Gregg has one guy from England and one from NL that those countries didn't want.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
It's funny because striker is probably the easiest position to recruit kids for. It's every child's first chosen position, all you gotta do is keeping them at it. The lack of striker prospects is as a result almost certainly down to youth coaches pulling the talented kids away from the position.
If that was true, every country would have world class strikers to spare.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I guess it depends on how you define failure. Klinsmann brought in half a team from Germany and didn't do any better than Gregg. Gregg has one guy from England and one from NL that those countries didn't want.
I mean isn’t that more of a testament to Klinnsmann? That he was able to convince guys to come over and play for the US and Gregg wasn’t? Granted I think Tillman and Dest will be big for years to come.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Well their coach knows how to set the team up better to get the best use out of his talent. They weren't leaving guys like Reyna and Aaronson on the bench for inferior talent like Ferreira.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I mean isn’t that more of a testament to Klinnsmann? That he was able to convince guys to come over and play for the US and Gregg wasn’t? Granted I think Tillman and Dest will be big for years to come.
Klinnsmann was also trying to put in a system to develop youth so that they would be ready to play by now. Of course, US soccer was its usual tone deaf ignorant self and cried, whined, and complained about it until he was gone.

This is a US Soccer failure most of all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Because experienced teams like the Dutch took advantage of their inexperience on every goal. Veterans wouldn’t make those mistakes.
Dutch veterans would just take advantage on account of how much better they are than the American veterans. They aren't on the same level.

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Came down to finishing.

No it didn’t, at least not in the sense that the statement applies to every game. I am very curious how that xG was scored. I’ve also seen it NED 1.77 - 1.51 USA and from watching the game that feels a lot more accurate.

That being said I think you can make the case if Pulisic scores in 2nd minute things could have been a little different, but Netherlands won because they were more talented everywhere

Reactions: Pink Mist

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Klinnsmann was also trying to put in a system to develop youth so that they would be ready to play by now. Of course, US soccer was its usual tone deaf ignorant self and cried, whined, and complained about it until he was gone.

I don’t think it’s a failure at all. It’s disappointment. This team should have never been able to compete with Netherlands or England but they did with both. US had chances to attack and didn’t capitalize. They were punching above their weight and it didn’t work. No failure.

Reactions: gary69 and Tryamw

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
USA could have won this easily. This is not the Netherlands team from the past world cups.

Just can't win with that kind of mickey mouse defence. Three times the guy is wide open. I mean the first two were fast evolving attacks, but the third one was laughable, even my grandma could have made that cross.

CONCACAF will never get it done.

Maybe Mexico in some crazy year

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fixed it for you.
No you didn't, you're complaining about the youth vs. veterans. Anyone paying any bit of attention to the sport knows the Dutch is overall better and can just keep finding them, like how they have a 28 year old goalkeeper who didn't have a cap 2 weeks ago. They can do stuff like that because they're multiple levels ahead of the US, and anyone else in CONCACAF.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Klinsmann had the right idea, the problem is at all levels it was like a body rejecting an organ transplant. USA needs a mirror to look at the cause for the majority of their problems

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I don’t think it’s a failure at all. It’s disappointment. This team should have never been able to compete with Netherlands or England but they did with both. US had chances to attack and didn’t capitalize. They were punching above their weight and it didn’t work. No failure.
They’ll be more ready when the World Cup is in North America in four years.

Klinsmann had the right idea, the problem is at all levels it was like a body rejecting an organ transplant. USA needs a mirror to look at the cause for the majority of their problems
That is a perfect summation.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I don't see it that way. The US has to build from within. We are always going to have first generation players because we are a nation of immigrants. Years ago, the US "stole'" that player from Iceland, ignoring the fact that he was born in Birmingham, AL.

I hope for a better result on our home soil in 2026!

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
I’d be surprised if it isn’t close to the same result next tournament.
As hosts, they'll have an easier draw and this will be a 48 team WC so even more weak teams. But I don't suddently expect to be able to knock out traditional powerhouses.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Would Dike be an option if he can stay fit? Looked promising at Barnsley.
Yeah I think he’d be an option but an outside chance. He’d need to really start turning heads.
As hosts, they'll have an easier draw and this will be a 48 team WC so even more weak teams. But I don't suddently expect to be able to knock out traditional powerhouses.
Yeah definitely. That’s kind of what I meant by similar results. I think they’ll get out of the group stage. Maybe through to the second knockout round.

Reactions: Venkman

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Came down to finishing.

No, it didn't.

xG is a worse "stat" than +/- in hockey, I cannot begin to describe how loathsome I find it.

It doesn't give any context and it doesn't tell what the score was or how a team set up, whether they led 2-0 and just waited out the rest of the game or whether they chased the game cause they were behind.

Holland won because they're the better team, have better players and played better in key moments.
Had they needed to, they would've probably changed up and set up more offensively. They played - for them -a routine game and dispatched with relatively safety inferior opposition.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad