St. Louis
1669758004963.png
vs.
1669758035561.png

Teams:
Netherlands v. United States
Time and Date (CST): Saturday, December 3, 9:00 AM
Venue: Khalifa International Stadium
Storyline: Two undefeated teams, two teams that did not qualify for the 2018 World Cup. The Dutch come into this match with the prestige and will be favored to go on. In the group stages, the Dutch rode Cody Gakpo's three goals, including an absolutely wonderful strike against Ecuador. The Dutch handled Qatar with ease, but looked a little shaky against Senegal and Ecuador. Still, they conceded only one goal across the three matches while scoring 5, so they have reason to be optimistic beyond just the strength of their history. At the back, Virgil van Dijk leads a tough defense, while the midfield is anchored by Barcelona midfielder Frenkie De Jong.

The United States, too, comes into the Round of 16 without having lost a game. A late penalty conceded to Wales led to a 1-1 draw after a tidy Tim Weah finish. Then, Iran scoring two late goals against Wales to earn 3 points added pressure to America's faceoff against England. The underdogs ended up controlling the match and were millimeters away from taking all three points after Christian Pulisic's effort thudded into the woodwork. On two points going into the final day, the US was in a win-or-go-home situation against Iran. Pulisic found the back of the net late in the first half, but had to come off injured, as did striker Josh Sargent. Some questionable subs led to America being on the backfoot for much of the last half hour of the match, with Iran asking for some late penalties that would have been soft had they been given. Nonetheless, the United States held on, earning a 1-0 win and a spot in the Round of 16.

This will be the sixth matchup between the two teams, with the Dutch having won 4, although the Americans won the last match in 2015 4-3.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
van Gaal's tendency to revert to pragmatism could wind up being a big deal here. Every single time since his Ajax stint, he gets to a knockout round and has done so, both at club and international level. He also did it the last time he managed a team in the WC and they struggled against both Mexico and Costa Rica. He's been doing it again since the Senegal match too. So as far as potential opponents go I think this is about as good as we could get.

We also don't play against a back three very often so I'm interested to see how that works out. The style he wants to play sets up decently for us and we won't get blown out of the water. Lose probably but I'd be surprised if all of a sudden the Dutch started attacking a lot. They aren't going to.

Reactions: DaveG

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think the U.S. has the pace to ask some questions the Dutch won't like. But the Dutch should be able to commandeer midfield, which might end up looking a bit like Croatia vs Canada in the end. U.S. probably needs to score, survive the onslaught, get a 2nd on a break.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
But the Dutch should be able to commandeer midfield, which might end up looking a bit like Croatia vs Canada in the end.

I agree because they have more technical ability, but man against Ecuador that seemed like it didn't matter at all. Their midfield is very slow of foot. Overall I think our team is too young for this moment but physically I like the matchup.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think the Netherlands will end up pulling this out, but it's going to be closer than I would have originally thought. The Netherlands have been rather underwhelming since the tournament stated.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Pre-tournament, I had the US beating the Dutch. I see no reason to change that.

The first half of each of the US's 3 games have been great. If they can do it again they got a shot. Need to have better tactics in the second half though.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Very interested in the midfield battle here. de Jong is the best MFer either side have, but I could see the athleticism and pressing of McKennie and Adams giving him a hard time.

Going forward, Netherlands lack attacking quality outside of Gakpo, but then Dumfries could cause trouble for Robinson. Dest vs. the corpse of Daley Blind is another fun matchup.

Ultimately, I think this is a 1-0 for the Netherlands.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Very interested in the midfield battle here. de Jong is the best MFer either side have, but I could see the athleticism and pressing of McKennie and Adams giving him a hard time.

Going forward, Netherlands lack attacking quality outside of Gakpo, but then Dumfries could cause trouble for Robinson. Dest vs. the corpse of Daley Blind is another fun matchup.

Ultimately, I think this is a 1-0 for the Netherlands.
Exactly my feeling. Also LVG will play for the 1-0 if they score. They won’t attack much more the rest of the game. It will be VERY difficult for us to score in that scenario.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
if Netherlands gets one through, it's all over from there as they can control and defend comfortably. USA will need to get out and run and maybe catch a break

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think the ideal situation for the United States is 0-0 and then scoring in the 85th minute.
If Puli is hurt but not so hurt that he's fully out, could be a blessing. He's way better as an impact sub than as a starter, and he's had some good luck in the past against VVD. Could also experience some joy isolating Ake one-on-one (given that Ake sucks).

Reactions: Tryamw

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If Puli is hurt but not so hurt that he's fully out, could be a blessing. He's way better as an impact sub than as a starter, and he's had some good luck in the past against VVD. Could also experience some joy isolating Ake one-on-one (given that Ake sucks).
Yeah, I agree. I would honestly go super pest mode. Start Ferreira, Aaronson, and Reyna and tell them to just press their hearts out for 60 minutes. Then bring on subs, especially if Puli is healthy enough to go 30 minutes.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think the Netherlands will end up pulling this out, but it's going to be closer than I would have originally thought. The Netherlands have been rather underwhelming since the tournament stated.
Ya it'll be a close game. Dutch just aren't good and are performing like they are.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Ya it'll be a close game. Dutch just aren't good and are performing like they are.
Dutch steamrolled their Euro QF group. I don't understand what some of you are thinking, honestly,
any group winner Euro team is a favorite against any CONCACAF team, always.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Dutch steamrolled their Euro QF group. I don't understand what some of you are thinking, honestly,

That group is dreadful lol. Haaland didn't play for Norway in a bunch of those games. The other teams stink.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Don’t think there is a ton of evidence that USA can score here. Also don’t think there is a ton of evidence USA can put two good half’s together. Netherlands rides out the initial wave, but they are better than USA everywhere. Netherlands breaks a sweat, but wins with a clean sheet

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
With respect to the likes of Gibraltar that isn’t saying much… Dutch haven’t been good and their squad leaves a lot to be desired

Reactions: N o o d l e s

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
With respect to the likes of Gibraltar that isn’t saying much… Dutch haven’t been good and their squad leaves a lot to be desired
I agree their squad isn't what you'd have expected from a Holland team of yesteryear, but it's all relative. There's probably like 8+ guys on that team who would have Alexi Lalas riding their you know whats all day long if they were American.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I agree their squad isn't what you'd have expected from a Holland team of yesteryear, but it's all relative. There's probably like 8+ guys on that team who would have Alexi Lalas riding their you know whats all day long if they were American.
Agreed. They're ranked 8th in the world. The US is 16th.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I give Netherlands the nod but I expect it to be a hard fought game..
Can the USA win sure.. But their finishing is um... lacking.. Turner's only allowed one tally on a PK..

I can't wait to watch!.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I definitely agree but the utilization of those players so far would appear to be such that any decent team they play has a chance to get a result. And then the question is if he's going to use players that allow his team to create more chances against a US defense made up of players fancied less than his? The answer is probably not so then we get into a game that could stay deadlocked for a very long time. The ultimate issue for the US is that you could say some of these things about their own scoring chances. The US won't be allowed to play on the counter because van Gaal doesn't let other teams do that, so how are they going to score? I don't think anyone has a realistic answer for that. We have no focal point in the middle that allows us to create anything.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I definitely agree but the utilization of those players so far would appear to be such that any decent team they play has a chance to get a result. And then the question is if he's going to use players that allow his team to create more chances against a US defense made up of players fancied less than his? The answer is probably not so then we get into a game that could stay deadlocked for a very long time. The ultimate issue for the US is that you could say some of these things about their own scoring chances. The US won't be allowed to play on the counter because van Gaal doesn't let other teams do that, so how are they going to score? I don't think anyone has a realistic answer for that. We have no focal point in the middle that allows us to create anything.

You could press them into giving you opportunities playing something like this:

Aaronson - Reyna - Weah
McKennie - Musah
Adams
Robinson - CCV - Scally - Dest​

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You could press them into giving you opportunities playing something like this:

Aaronson - Reyna - Weah
McKennie - Musah
Adams
Robinson - CCV - Scally - Dest​
As much as I love Scally, I wouldn't want to put him in as a starting CB when he hasn't touched the field yet. I don't mind that lineup with a Ream-CCV partnership

Reactions: Tryamw

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As much as I love Scally, I wouldn't want to put him in as a starting CB when he hasn't touched the field yet. I don't mind that lineup with a Ream-CCV partnership

It would basically be a back 3 with Dest as a wing back on his side and Weah drifting in as a second striker, coming into the space created by Reyna's movement.

Would give you the mobility on the backend to cover the dutch counters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad