• Morocco

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Spain

Votes: 18 60.0%

• Total voters

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Spain lost to Japan because they believed they were taking the easier route. They wanted to avoid Brazil. Goal achieved!😂😂😂 If anyone deserves to be eliminated, it's Spain. Congratulations Morocco! They punished this arrogance!
Well, it did work, they avoided Brazil :sarcasm:

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Pisses me off every time I watch a PK nowadays. Drove me up the wall in the Japan/Croatia game as well.

Top corner, not a goalie in the world will ever save that spot. Instead these guys decide to shot it either middle, low corner or half high into the path of the goalies. And the worst current penalty trend is the freaking bunny hop... No nerves to blast it top right or left but plenty of cojones for a damn bunny hop?
Shooting top corner is also risky tbh, some players won’t do by fear of missing the target.
It’s not an easy shot

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Hey that means Canada scored (kinda, OGs count) against a quaterfinalist. So they've got that going for them...which is nice.
Just proves that the only team that can score on Morocco is Morocco.

The fact that Spain couldn't score even in a penalty shootout is particularly funny

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Starting to like Morocco manager Regragui more and more, based on interviews and other footage, guy seems very passionate and it's easy to believe the players getting behind him and giving their all.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
This is now for sure your dad's Spain lol (aka pre-2008 Spain). But those teams were more entertaining to watch at least. I think Germany and Spain really need to change how they play. Not this dumb inquest of youth development or all that crap, they just need to change how their national team plays. Slow buildup thinking you have the skill to break teams down is not the way to go unless you have multiple generational talents that can do it like Xavi and Iniesta.

Top corner gives you two ways to miss. As hard as you can, a couple inches off the ground, as close to the inside of the post.

Key word on that but the problem is most of the players don't try doing this. They try to place it by judging where the goalie will go right before taking the shot it seems, especially the stutter steppers. If you actually do shoot it really hard down low on either side then even if the goalie gets a finger or an arm or something on it, it still has a chance of going in.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Key word on that but the problem is most of the players don't try doing this. They try to place it by judging where the goalie will go right before taking the shot it seems, especially the stutter steppers. If you actually do shoot it really hard down low on either side then even if the goalie gets a finger or an arm or something on it, it still has a chance of going in.
It's all about balance though. As hard as you can while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Besides it really is two french team :)
Sénégal could have made it 3.

French? European, sure. But French?

Bono, Aguerd, En-Neysri, Ounahi were all trained in Morocco.
Amrabat, Ziyech and Mazraoui in Holland.
Hakimi in Spain.
Amallah in Belgium.

Leaves Boufal and Saiss in the starting 11 that was born/trained in France.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is now for sure your dad's Spain lol (aka pre-2008 Spain). But those teams were more entertaining to watch at least. I think Germany and Spain really need to change how they play. Not this dumb inquest of youth development or all that crap, they just need to change how their national team plays. Slow buildup thinking you have the skill to break teams down is not the way to go unless you have multiple generational talents that can do it like Xavi and Iniesta.

Our style didn't cost us, appeasing the egos of two oldies that just couldn't let go and switching off for half an hour against Japan, did...and those factors would've buried us regardless of our style.

Whereas if Neuer & Müller had been retired after 2018, like they should have been, we'd still be playing...even with the same style of play and 2 of our 3 best attackers (Sane & Wirtz) not being fit to start the tourney.

Last edited:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Del Bosque had a whole generation to teach the tikitaka, Enrique figured he can just tell his guys to pass the ball back and forth but forgot how to relay to them how to crack the 11 man defensive shell. Enrique needs to go. Not sure if he is the right guy but somehow I think if Enrique is fired they will try Martinez from Belgium since he is stepping down there. Just makes too much sense
I’m convinced he’s not the one. Luis Enrique has said from what I understand, that his philosophy is basically to not tell the players when to go for long balls or push or whatever, just let the players decide with the flow of the game… he also makes really questionable decisions like starting Llorente today or bringing in Balde every game as a sub when he’s a 19 year old last minute addition to the squad yet is playing every game now? My perception is also that he doesn’t seem to strike confidence on the team to leave it all on the field for him since he doesn’t even have a coaching system for them to buy into it seems. Just—play how you want… lol
I don’t think Martinez is the right answer either.

Starting to like Morocco manager Regragui more and more, based on interviews and other footage, guy seems very passionate and it's easy to believe the players getting behind him and giving their all.

They were throwing him in the air celebrating. They seem to really love him it’s good to see. Hope they go far.

It’s definitely very tough right now for some of these possessive teams. Minor teams have adapted and figured out how to play against this style and punish it and be successful. So now it’s up to these bigger teams that play possessive football how to be successful without needing to have 75%+ possession….I think and hope at least for Spain that they have a rethought on this. Perhaps taking more risks as far as crosses and long balls to give these minor teams the ball more and make them figure it out with the ball at their feet for them make mistakes as well.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
French? European, sure. But French?

Bono, Aguerd, En-Neysri, Ounahi were all trained in Morocco.
Amrabat, Ziyech and Mazraoui in Holland.
Hakimi in Spain.
Amallah in Belgium.

Leaves Boufal and Saiss in the starting 11 that was born/trained in France.
Hey, Bono could have played for Canada, don't forget.

But yeah, the breakdown is as follows, in terms of birth nation:
Morocco: 12 (Tagnaouti, Aguerd, El Yamiq, Dari, Benoun, Attiyat Allah, Ounahi, Sabiri, Jabrane, Hamdallah, Ezzalzouli, En-Nesyri)
Belgium: 4 (Chair, Amallah, El Khannous, Zaroury)
Netherlands: 4 (Mazraoui, Amrabat, Ziyech, Aboukhlal)
France: 2 (Saiss, Boufal)
Spain: 2 (Munir, Hakimi)
Italy: 1 (Cheddira)
Canada: 1 (Bono)

Of course, Bono was raised in Morocco, Sabiri was raised in Germany, and Ezzalzouli was raised in Spain,

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You guys are relentless.... how about we respect the players choice?
Is anyone saying we shouldn't? I think you can notice that teams are multi-national and be happy about it without disrespecting a player's choice.

For example, I think it's great that Funes Mori plays for Mexico despite being born in Argentina.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is anyone saying we shouldn't? I think you can notice that teams are multi-national and be happy about it without disrespecting a player's choice.

For example, I think it's great that Funes Mori plays for Mexico despite being born in Argentina.

Calling the French an african team or morocco a french team is respectful? Feels pretty disrespectful to joke about any NT not actually representing their nation...

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Calling the French an african team or morocco a french team is respectful? Feels pretty disrespectful to joke about any NT not actually representing their nation...
I think there's typically more to a person's nationality than who they choose to play soccer for. I also don't think it's disrespectful to acknowledge one's past. But to each their own. I think it's more disrespectful to ignore that heritage, and it leads to blind spots.

But the silliest thing is that no one gets upset when people talked about how Dest would be playing the land of his birth when USA played Netherlands.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Calling Morocco (or Senegal, or any other post-colonial country for that matter) a French team is a lot grosser than the reverse

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Calling Morocco (or Senegal, or any other post-colonial country for that matter) a French team is a lot grosser than the reverse
I agree with this to a point. More so with Morocco, who has more players born in Belgium/Netherlands than France and the same born in Spain. I just think it's silly to ignore that a lot of Moroccan players were born in Europe. It's not a problem. Quite the opposite, I think it's great. I love when players play for whomever they identify with most or even if it's just a country that they have a better chance of playing for.

I mean shit, if I could be called up by like, the Cook Island National Team (I say Cook Island because they called up all of one goalkeeper for WC22 Qualifiers), I would happily take that opportunity despite how much I feel American or would rather be called up by the USMNT (I coulda been Matt Turner if I was 3 inches taller and a little more foolish).

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Just because one pile of shit is infinitely smaller than another doesn't make it any less a pile of shit. These players chose to represent a certain nation for whatever reasons they do and not respecting that is shitty...in either direction.

I'm not saying that nobody should ever discuss or joke about that stuff, just don't tell me you're being respectful while openly being an asshole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad