Votes: 13 23.6%
  • France

Votes: 42 76.4%

• Total voters

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They beat a very good French side in 1982
That's actually true, forgot about that one.
I'd even say that 82 team was the best in the world with Brazil.
That said, it was a group stage game. IIRC, England never lost a game that WC but had trouble scoring in the second group phase.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Those guys also didn't have the talent he has.

I'd say most of them did. Eriksson, McClaren and Capello all had the A.Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Owen talents. Hodgson had some of them for Euro 2012 then '14 and '16 weren't as talented.

In the 90's (Venables and Hoddle) the talent is comparable.

Having Rice and Bellingham does give a balanced midfield and team overall, something that previous England teams have lacked.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Difference in how far England went I tournaments previous to the past two is simply related to how early or late in the competition they play a good team.

Sven Gorman Eriksson got Portugal’s golden generation as his first knockout matches in consecutive tournaments. Southgate’s teams have had much easier paths to deeper runs, and that’s the only reason deep runs have been made recently.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
It is going to break England's heart if they lose this game.

I don't see how they can beat France, and even if they somehow get by I don't see how they can go all the way given their tradition. But maybe this is the year where even the impossible can happen.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
England has some good offensive talent (as do French), and both teams have their deficiencies especially defensively and at keeper positions (Lloris isn't as good as he once was, and has always been prone to stupid mistakes).

i think it will closer than many people favouring France think, but France should edge it out eventually. Mbappe needs to have another good game for that, though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'd say most of them did. Eriksson, McClaren and Capello all had the A.Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Owen talents. Hodgson had some of them for Euro 2012 then '14 and '16 weren't as talented.

In the 90's (Venables and Hoddle) the talent is comparable.

Having Rice and Bellingham does give a balanced midfield and team overall, something that previous England teams have lacked.
Had some talents but a lot of them overrated plus archaic tactics.

This english side is legit full of talent.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The 2006 team could have won if Eriksson learned that every team had three people playing in midfield by then.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Everyone talking about the the Argentina x France rematch….what about the blursed Croatia x England rematch

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Everyone talking about the the Argentina x France rematch….what about the blursed Croatia x England rematch
It's your worst nightmare Argentina v Portugal.

Personally not taking anything for granted Croatia are a great team, well coach great experience. That midfield will ball. Its gonna be a nail bitter.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's your worst nightmare Argentina v Portugal.

Personally not taking anything for granted Croatia are a great team, well coach great experience. That midfield will ball. Its gonna be a nail bitter.
I said the fix was in for that matchup before the tournament and they said I was crazy :)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean obviously every Argentinean goal is a fix but Portugal haven't needed it at all.
Sure, it’s good they bailed on Ronnie (for now at least) but I haven’t forgotten the officiating in the Ghana game either. Either way, the almighty narrative rides again

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
England by a million

world-cup-england.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad