St. Louis
1670256133743.png
vs.
1670256207802.png

Teams:
England v. France
Time and Date (CST): Saturday, December 10, 1:00 PM
Venue: Al Bayt Stadium
Storyline: It's 1066 all over again. A matchup between these two European heavyweights was heavily anticipated following the World Cup draw, and the teams did not disappoint, although each team had group games where they looked less than convincing. England won its group stage following a rout of Iran, albeit one in which the English defense looked porous, a somewhat surprising draw against the United States, where the US midfield was dominant, and a tidy win against neighboring Wales. This led to a Round of 16 matchup against Senegal. The Atlas Lions had a handful of early chances they could not put away, chances they would rue when Jordan Henderson - a surprise starter - scored late in the first half. Harry Kane added another first half goal in stoppage time on a counter, with the Three Lions entering the break up 2-0. Bukayo Saka added a third in the second half, putting the match to bed. England will hope to continue a fine run of tournament form, as they made the semi-finals of the last World Cup and the finals of the Euros.

France, too, won its group, starting with a 4-1 win against Australia. France conceded the opening goal, but its offensive machine kicked into gear with Adrien Rabiot pulling the strings from the midfield and with Olivier Giroud becoming France's all time leading scorer, unseating fellow Arsenal legend, Thierry Henry. France won a tough match against Denmark 2-1 in the second game on a late Kylian Mbappe winner. France, assured of going through, then rotated its side heavily against Tunisia, who scored a second half goal to take the lead. France subbed in some of its starters and chances began to flow, including a goal at the very end of the match that was ruled off for a questionable offside call. France then faced fellow UEFA member Poland in the Round of 16. France never looked troubled, with Giroud adding to his historical tally at the brink of halftime. Two second half goals from Mbappe stretched France's lead to 3-0, before Robert Lewandowski turned home a late penalty to get Poland on the scoreboard.

This will be the 32nd meeting of these two historical nations, with England winning 17 to France's 9 and the teams drawing on 5 occasions. However, many of these matches - 14 in total - predated 1960 and were dominated by England. Recent results have been less favorable to the English, who are 1-4-2 since 2000.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think only England fans are picking them
My football friends are convinced they win the World Cup if they beat France.

Nice English lads but terribly cocky when it comes the lions.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I think only England fans are picking them

Not really. We’re good but we know France are better. There’s two posts above you from non English saying that England can win it though.

My football friends are convinced they win the World Cup if they beat France.

Nice English lads but terribly cocky when it comes the lions.

That’s a bit harsh. I don’t think it’s too cocky to say that if we beat the reigning champions to get into the semi finals we might actually go on to win it. France are the biggest hurdle anyone will face in the entire tournament.

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
France will start as favourites, but there’s no reason for us not to feel hopeful!

France have arguably the best player in the world right now in Mbape. England often have a dilemma at right back, with three top class players, all with different skill sets, but in this case, there’s no doubt that Walker will get the call, because of his pace. If he can keep Mbape quiet, it will be a major boost for England.

In the middle of the park, I think we will go with the same three as last night, with Rice and Henderson probably playing a double pivot, looking to deal with Griezman.

Apart from those two, while France have lots of good technical players, they are not a team full of players who can run a game

On the flip side, who do France key on? Harry Kane? Phil Foden? Jordan Henderson (Who was superb last night!)? Jude Bellingham?

Will France score? Yes! I think they will! Will England score? Yes! I think we will! I think we have a better spread of fire power.

Are we favourites? No! Do we have reason to be hopeful? Yes!

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
France need to find ways to deal with Saka and Bellingham too, who are both on fire this WC. Tchouameni is good enough to neutralize Bellingham, but I'm not sure of Theo's defensive skills against Saka.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Whether they win or get boat-raced, I love this. Stop being tentative, "hope we make a good showing, make the country proud," drivel that everyone says. France will be very good regardless of what anyone says, so good on Rice

vince-mc-mahon-entrance.gif

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think England is respected. They're probably the worst matchup for France at this point (shaky defense vs quick counters).
That said, I could see DD playing a more defensive approach (keeping his XI) with his team giving the ball up to England countering themselves.
And if that happens, I can't see England resisting defensively.

Will be an interesting tactical game, could go both ways.
I think if France goes through here, they'll be favourites against (likely) Spain or Portugal and I pick them over any team of the other side, including Brazil and Argentina.

So this QF might be the trickiest game of the tournament for France, even if they go to the final.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think if France goes through here, they'll be favourites against (likely) Spain or Portugal and I pick them over any team of the other side, including Brazil and Argentina.

I think either team would beat Spain or Portugal and Argentina.....Brazil....if Neymar can be close to Neymar, I am not sure.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
France easily, and even if the miracle happens, I don't think England goes much further. As always.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
All the pregame chatter is going to be “how does England stop Mbappe”, but Englands best chance is if they can dictate the pace and keep France on the back foot. Southgate loses this game for England

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Whether they win or get boat-raced, I love this. Stop being tentative, "hope we make a good showing, make the country proud," drivel that everyone says. France will be very good regardless of what anyone says, so good on Rice

vince-mc-mahon-entrance.gif

Faultless is a bit of a stretch. They looked the worst team against the US and Senegal had a bunch of early chances.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Honestly, with all the French injuries, England are the favorites.

But France have Mbappe, man can win the game by himself, that cannot be discounted.

I enjoy all the great plays from the last year, Benzema, Haaland, Vini, KDB, etc... But despite Benzema (deserverdly) winning the Ballon, Mbappe is the best player in the world IMO.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Honestly, with all the French injuries, England are the favorites.

But France have Mbappe, man can win the game by himself, that cannot be discounted.

I enjoy all the great plays from the last year, Benzema, Haaland, Vini, KDB, etc... But despite Benzema (deserverdly) winning the Ballon, Mbappe is the best player in the world IMO.
Not even the best in his team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad