Who Advances?

• England

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • France

Votes: 42 76.4%

• Total voters

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
A British guy that I know has said to me that he feels England deserves to win this game.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
A British guy that I know has said to me that he feels England deserves to win this game.
"Deserve" ain't got nothing to do with it. I'm sure he felt they "deserved" to win the Euro too, but thankfully football came home-a to Roma that time.

The French are better. There is a path to victory for the English but little margin for error, and there are more paths to victory for the French. If France gets the first goal, which is very possible due to the firepower they have upfront, England will probably be in trouble. If France gets up 2-0 it's definitely over.

I say France 2-1 is my guess.

Reactions: gary69

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
Faultless is a bit of a stretch. They looked the worst team against the US and Senegal had a bunch of early chances.

This is one of the strange things in the English media. We seem to expect the England team to always have 100% of the play. If the opposition get any chances at all, we are considered to have played poorly!

I don’t think we played well against USA, but we conceded 1 shot on target and no goals. Against Senegal, it was a much better performance and again, one shot on target and no goals, but the fact that both ventured into our box, the team get slated. You always hear about how if they play like that against bigger teams…

By comparison, France conceded 1 shot on target and 1 goal against Australia, 2 shots on target and 1 goal against Denmark, 1 shot on target and 1 goal, losing to Tunisia, 3 shots on target and 1 goal against Poland. No one seems to be looking at them and worrying what will happen when they come up against the tournament’s top scoring team?

I agree with Rice. We have done superbly well. We haven’t been full of flare, but we have got 3 wins and a draw, scored 10, conceded 2, had 21 shots on target to 6 conceded. Not a poor record!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
France's undoing could be their central defenders.

Oopsamecano is a walking error. That guy almost never can stop himself from doing something incredibly stupid during a game. He's the French David Luiz. Very athletic and good with the ball, but defensively he'll either win his team the game or lose it for them. Varane also hasn't been the same since he stopped playing in a pairing with Ramos. He's getting into that team on name recognition, but he's more steady.

I would definitely play Konate. Next to him, it's probably unlikely that Varane wouldn't play. I think Varane could do a good job, but I might go with Saliba or Disasi instead. Konate in this game is a must for France, if they want to win. Upamecano against Kane could be all there is between the two sides.

Last edited:

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
France's undoing could be their central defenders.

Oopsamecano is a walking error. That guy almost never can stop himself from doing something incredibly stupid during a game. He's the French David Luiz. Very athletic and good with the ball, but defensively he'll either win his team the game or lose it for them. Varane also hasn't been the same since he stopped playing in a pairing with Ramos. He's getting into that team on name recognition, but he's more steady.

I would definitely play Konate. Next to him, it's probably unlikely that Varane wouldn't play. I think Varane could do a good job, but I might go with Saliba or Disasi instead. Konate in this game is a must for France, if they want to win. Upamecano against Kane could be all there is between the two sides.
I think you’re right about Konate. A lot of England’s attacking threat will come from the midfield, Bellingham in particular. Konate just offers that little bit of protection and could free up the French attacking players a little, giving them more confidence that they’re not leaving the team exposed

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Disasi isn't even good.
Saliba should have started but won't.
Varane has been impeccable, as he usually is with the NT jersey.
Upa was shaky first game but good since. I do agree he's not a brick wall without the ball though. Very good with it.
It really should be Saliba (who's superior to Konate is every single aspect) and Varane, who provides stability and leadership.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This is one of the strange things in the English media. We seem to expect the England team to always have 100% of the play. If the opposition get any chances at all, we are considered to have played poorly!

I don’t think we played well against USA, but we conceded 1 shot on target and no goals. Against Senegal, it was a much better performance and again, one shot on target and no goals, but the fact that both ventured into our box, the team get slated. You always hear about how if they play like that against bigger teams…

By comparison, France conceded 1 shot on target and 1 goal against Australia, 2 shots on target and 1 goal against Denmark, 1 shot on target and 1 goal, losing to Tunisia, 3 shots on target and 1 goal against Poland. No one seems to be looking at them and worrying what will happen when they come up against the tournament’s top scoring team?

I agree with Rice. We have done superbly well. We haven’t been full of flare, but we have got 3 wins and a draw, scored 10, conceded 2, had 21 shots on target to 6 conceded. Not a poor record!
The poor finishing of two teams, one whose striker is home injured and another who lacks a striker, doesn’t absolve England of the fact that both teams had good chances. Pulisic smacked the post and another couple inches one direction and the English are playing the Dutch last weekend.

I think plenty of people are worried about France’s defense. I think the only defense people aren’t worried about is Morocco.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
That's sheer arrogance on the part of the media. Not exclusive to the English though.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
In fairness, if the defender hadn't stuck his foot out, it was going across the net to be tapped in.
There was another defender in the middle and a goalkeeper, but more importantly, if the ball or foot was in a slightly different position, it's cleared. Crosses like that are blocked all the time.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Maguire/Stone and Pickford also havent faced a team like France... would that questionable backline hold up? Possibly but not certain and I would never bet on it. I think England eeks out a win here but that could be me in fantasy land.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The back line including Walker showed some really shaky moments against Senegal. In that first half I thought they looked especially weak and it would not surprise me to see them have a weak showing against France.
Walker on Mpabbe should be a good one. Walker can match his speed if fully fit.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad