Pre-Game Talk: World cup of hockey 2016 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Wow I'm surprised some of you guys are looking down on this tournament. I was thinking it was going to be comparable to the olympics.

To be honest i am planning on going to Toronto to catch a few games (USA, Canda, Sweden )

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wow I'm surprised some of you guys are looking down on this tournament. I was thinking it was going to be comparable to the olympics.

To be honest i am planning on going to Toronto to catch a few games (USA, Canda, Sweden )

It's likely not going to be the same as the Olympics, especially since Team Europe and Team NA are a thing.

That being said, it's going to be a blast and I wish I could go see a few games. Have fun in Toronto!

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
that 96 tournament was amazing.

I still watch the three game finals between Canada and the US.

Incredible hockey and the passion level was through the roof.

hope we get the same in this tourney

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Skeptical about the divisions. Seems set up so that US and Canada will be near guaranteed long tournaments.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I have to admit, on a certain level, I am not rooting for this tournament to succeed. I see this tournament as the NHL trying to get out from the Olympics, which I really don't want them to do -- I enjoy the Olympic Tournament as much as the SC Playoffs, and I can't picture the players in the WCH brining anywhere near the same intensity. They'll try, but they're not going to go 110%.

Worth noting: the Canada Cup was different, because at that time, there was a sort of us vs. them feeling and there weren't really any Russians, Latvians, Belorussians, etc. playing outside the USSR.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
The 1996 tournament was phenomenal! I went to both USA games at MSG in early September vs Russia and Slovakia. Some of the most exciting hockey I've ever seen. The scene for USA Russia was absolutely nuts. I'm looking forward to this tournament, i just hope it's good competitive hockey.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
To me the tournament is a corporate cash grab and I'm having trouble seeing past that.

Have I become an old fart who can't have fun? :laugh:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Looks like JT Thriller is LW on the fourth line for NA. But I imagine lines will change from practice.

Side-note: That Top-6 is going to be so much fun to watch.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
To me the tournament is a corporate cash grab and I'm having trouble seeing past that.

Have I become an old fart who can't have fun? :laugh:

It is a cash grab but is anything this league does not a cash grab?

The Olympics are obviously way better but I also have no interest in shutting down the league right before the push to the playoffs and risking the teams top players getting hurt. If we're having some sort of international tournament, I think I'll take the one in September over the one in February.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It is a cash grab but is anything this league does not a cash grab?

The Olympics are obviously way better but I also have no interest in shutting down the league right before the push to the playoffs and risking the teams top players getting hurt. If we're having some sort of international tournament, I think I'll take the one in September over the one in February.

All major sports have cash grabs. NHL isn't exempt from it. And the Olympics aren't a shining beacon either, if we're looking at $$$ and the bureaucracy behind it.

And yeah, the Winter Olympics are always at a weird time in relation to the NHL season.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Bishop, taking away the fact that he's 6'7", is just such an average goalie. Schneider should be the starter. Wouldn't mind Quick, but he and Schneider play two very different styles.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I have to admit, on a certain level, I am not rooting for this tournament to succeed. I see this tournament as the NHL trying to get out from the Olympics, which I really don't want them to do.

don't know if NHL is avoiding the Olympcis forever,
but the next 2 winter Olympics being in east Asia (SKorea, China)
with longer travel, 12 hour time differences, and nonhockey host countries
poses some challenges

but i expect some players to demand to go ,
look no further than how proud the Norwegians, Germans and Slovenes are today, having qualified this weekend for 2018

WCH wont be the same, it is a marketing event for NHL,
but i intend to enjoy it without taking it too seriously

I may be in minority but i think the Team NA idea is great,
and the Team Europe is a good way to include the Slovaks, Swiss, Germans, Danes, Zucc and Kopitar without watering down the level of play

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

not sure if those lines are in order but that has Stepan center the top line between parise and wheeler. and mcdonagh on the top pair with carlson

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

not sure if those lines are in order but that has Stepan center the top line between parise and wheeler. and mcdonagh on the top pair with carlson

I can't see that being the order. You don't roll Patches-Pavs-Kane as your second line under Parise-Stepan-Wheeler...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Pavelski line will most likely be the top line with the Stepan line the second line. I think the Kesler line will be the fourth line, and then JVR, Backes, Dubinsky and Palmieri are 4 for 3 spots on the third line.

I like the McDonagh-Carlson pair, but Suter should be paired with Niskanen as the shutdown pair. Byfuglien should be with EJ. Jack Johnson shouldn't see the ice all tournament, unless the USA wants to lose.

If Schneider doesn't start, what is wrong with our coaching staff? Quick should back Schneider up, and Bishop should be the 3rd goalie.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
portzline has them flipped with pavelski 1st and stepan 2nd which makes more sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad