Pre-Game Talk: World cup of hockey 2016 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Thought we might have a separate thread put up here for this coming Tournament. Going to be fun to follow. I could care less about Nationalistic issues, hockey is back!

Here is the link to the NHL website covering the games.

Current rosters are here

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I thought every game was going to be on ESPN or ESPN 2. Looks like mostly all games are on ESPN 3.

Whatever, terrible tournament anyway

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Nobody get hurt. Nobody get hurt. Nobody get hurt.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
A year from now, nobody will remember who won it and 5 years from now, people will forget it ever existed. Same with the 1996 and 2004 tournaments

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I don't think those that watch it are going to watch it for the memories. We just want NHL hockey...and this is the next best thing. Something to tide us over 'til the NHL season starts.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think those that watch it are going to watch it for the memories. We just want NHL hockey...and this is the next best thing. Something to tide us over 'til the NHL season starts.

Real fans will be cheering at the end of the game if their team's players survived without injury

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
A year from now, nobody will remember who won it and 5 years from now, people will forget it ever existed. Same with the 1996 and 2004 tournaments

C´mon AK - If Team Europe wins it then there will be rejoice throughout the streets with millions of blue €U flags waving, confetti showers, champagne spraying and dancing strippers throughout Europe from the North of Narvik, Norway to the Southern Mafia Strongholds on Sicily. I even bet your native Holland sends hordes of colorful tulips and red light invitations to the winners. Not

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I doubt I will even pay much mind to this or watch any games outside the finals.
Hockey is stuck in the mud with nothing but cooperate ****** running it.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The WCH is going to be fun and players will actually try. Anyone expecting an All-Star Game lack of effort is going to be disappointed.

It will be a good event, and I'm going to try to watch as much as I can.

If people are turned off to it because they think it's just the NHL trying to make some more money, then I guess you don't realize that all major sports are money-grabs in the long-run. The NHL is not immune to it.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The WCH is going to be fun and players will actually try. Anyone expecting an All-Star Game lack of effort is going to be disappointed.

It will be a good event, and I'm going to try to watch as much as I can.

If people are turned off to it because they think it's just the NHL trying to make some more money, then I guess you don't realize that all major sports are money-grabs in the long-run. The NHL is not immune to it.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I can't imagine these players want to get hurt before the regular season starts. There is no way players will go all out finishing every hit, and blocking every shot.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Why would any player kill themselves for this cooperate tournament when the same people what to short change his salary?
This tournament is nothing more than a money grab.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If you're complaining about this being a cash grab, then complain about all major NA sports. It's no different elsewhere. So it doesn't really detract from the tournament.

Anyway.....

I'm really interested to see where JT slots in on the U23 team.

He's not as good as the other forwards who were brought on, but I gotta wonder. I would assume either fourth line, or extra F.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Because these are competitive athletes. The same reason that the All Star game gets serious towards the end will be the reason that the players turn it up as the tournament goes on. They're going to want to win so while the exhibition games may be crappy because they haven't played much once the knockout stage kicks in you'll see.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Soccer is, by far, the most successful international sport in the world.

If Hockey wants to become more popular around the world, there needs to be an international tournament.

North Americans seem to struggle with sporting concepts that are huge elsewhere. More than one trophy, one competition.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
C´mon AK - If Team Europe wins it then there will be rejoice throughout the streets with millions of blue €U flags waving, confetti showers, champagne spraying and dancing strippers throughout Europe from the North of Narvik, Norway to the Southern Mafia Strongholds on Sicily. I even bet your native Holland sends hordes of colorful tulips and red light invitations to the winners. Not

We did that a few months ago with Brexit :laugh:

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009

I'll never forget the goaltending performance Richter displayed in 1996 to help USA beat Team Canada. That was the best hockey I ever saw Richter play, and some of the best I can remember of any goaltender.

I'm born and raised in Canada. I was 15 years old at the time of the tournament and I wore my Richter jersey every game and was rooting for USA.

Team Canada > Team USA
Mike Richter > Team Canada

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Also, the 87 tournament when it was still called the Canada Cup was pretty awesome. Canada-Russia finals with all three games being 6-5 scores, 2 of which went to overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad