GWT: World Cup - Group E (Spain and Japan Advance)

Who Advances?

• Germany

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • Spain

Votes: 59 95.2%
  • Japan

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Costa Rica

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Came to here to post about Balde getting the nod and going back to my post in the Transfers thread about him possibly stepping out further if he gets the minutes and I get to read this.
So, quoted for the record that Spain don’t have a good squad. Then again this is coming from someone who doesn’t rate Pedri, Gavi, Antonio Silva and I forget who else.
I rate Pedri and also said he was the best teenager the last seasons but not at this one. Gavi still overrated and Evilo and you compared Silva to Musiala which still is laughable. Again you put things in my mouth I didn't even say lol.
You can't tell me Spain has a good squad this year with half of this team consisting of an europa league team. They could still be the next world champions because Spain is Spain but the days of Iniesta, Xavi, Ramos, Villa, Pique etc. are over.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Screw defense, let's just roll with:

Moukoko
Sane - Musiala - Havertz - Gnabry
Goretzka - Gundogan
Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kimmich
Neuer​

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This would be fun for the neutral fan

We should be a good watch either way, but it would be fun to really lean into our strengths.

E:
It's really just replacing Raum & Kehrer with Mouki/Havertz & Gundogan...and it's not like Raum does a ton against the ball anyway. Would need to press like crazy...but it could work with Sane, Gnabry, Hofmann, & Adeyemi to do the running out wide. When needing to defend deep the shape would drop into something like a:

Moukoko - Havertz
Musiala - Gundogan - Goretzka - Gnabry
Sane - Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kimmich
or
Moukoko - Havertz
Sane - Musiala - Goretzka - Gnabry
Gundogan - Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kimmich​

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I rate Pedri and also said he was the best teenager the last seasons but not at this one. Gavi still overrated and Evilo and you compared Silva to Musiala which still is laughable. Again you put things in my mouth I didn't even say lol.
You can't tell me Spain has a good squad this year with half of this team consisting of an europa league team. They could still be the next world champions because Spain is Spain but the days of Iniesta, Xavi, Ramos, Villa, Pique etc. are over.

I never compared Silva to Musiala. I simply pointed out your mistakes regarding him, though it’s pretty clear you weren’t familiar with the player whatsoever. As for the rest of it, sure, whatever you say.

I can and did because they do have a good squad. They have holes, one significant one, and they have to put it all together, but they’re still a good squad. LOL at the Europa League team comment. Not to mention you’re saying they could still be the next world champions.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It’s quite funny actually Spain have a good squad and better than Germany but their coach isn’t good.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It’s quite funny actually Spain have a good squad and better than Germany but their coach isn’t good.

You must have missed Messi’s comments about Lucho. Anyway, Germany are as good as Spain, but they too have holes. It doesn’t really matter in the end. Kimmich will probably give the entire squad Covid and all the teams in the group will have to withdraw as a result.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You must have missed Messi’s comments about Lucho. Anyway, Germany are as good as Spain, but they too have holes. It doesn’t really matter in the end. Kimmich will probably give the entire squad Covid and all the teams in the group will have to withdraw as a result.
Messi is a good and classy guy unlike ronaldo I wouldn’t expect anything less but lucho isn’t a good coach. Jmo
...uh, about that...
Jmo

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Germany
2. Japan
3. Spain
4. Costa Rica

Spain won’t advance. Too old of a team and their younger players aren’t ready. Very few important middle aged players.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
I never compared Silva to Musiala. I simply pointed out your mistakes regarding him, though it’s pretty clear you weren’t familiar with the player whatsoever. As for the rest of it, sure, whatever you say.

I can and did because they do have a good squad. They have holes, one significant one, and they have to put it all together, but they’re still a good squad. LOL at the Europa League team comment. Not to mention you’re saying they could still be the next world champions.
Which mistakes? I didn't even say anything about him but that he is unproven in comparison to Musiala which you corrected with that he's less proven. Fair enough.

I know Barca fans tend to ignore the truth but you are an europa league team again so nothing wrong with my comment lol. Spain is always a contender no matter what team they put together but of the usual contenders I may like this spain squad the least.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
It really would be better to get that second place in this group considering all comes out as predicted. Croatia or Belgium is tough either way and avoiding Brazil in quarters would be nice.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He isn't the worst I just dont think he's good. Most NT coaches are good ones imo

I feel like we're in an up period for the quality of NT coaches...but I have to disagree. Most NT coaches are still very mediocre IMO, even if there are some surprisingly good ones working the international circuit right now.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I feel like we're in an up period for the quality of NT coaches...but I have to disagree. Most NT coaches are still very mediocre IMO, even if there are some surprisingly good ones working the international circuit right now.
I meant not good ones.

Reactions: cgf

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Gotcha, then we're on the same page. The standard of international coaching gives a significaant advantage to those of us that have good coaches, like Flick & Scaloni.
Yup pretty much. This is why I harp on france and brasil. They should cruise the WC just awful coaching holds them back. Portugal too. England. All better players than Argentina. But do I fear them nah not at all only france somewhat.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yup pretty much. This is why I harp on france and brasil. They should cruise the WC just awful coaching holds them back. Portugal too. England. All better players than Argentina. But do I fear them nah not at all only france somewhat.

Yeah, Brazil's been playing closer to their talent level of late, but I still put Tite in that same tier with Santos & Southgate as huge detriments to their teams.

DD isn't a bad coach per se...his man management in particular seems to be strong...but his tactics are hideously conservative for someone with that much skill at his disposal; even if french midfielders have lacked creativity of late.

Reactions: gary69

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, Brazil's been playing closer to their talent level of late, but I still put Tite in that same tier with Santos & Southgate as huge detriments to their teams.

DD isn't a bad coach per se...his man management in particular seems to be strong...but his tactics are hideously conservative for someone with that much skill at his disposal; even if french midfielders have lacked creativity of late.
Oh I think DD is trash tbh

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh I think DD is trash tbh

I think his tactics are absolute trash, but I do have to give him props for keeping those french teams together and avoiding the in-fighting that undermined previous editions of the french NT.

So I feel like I do need to mention his man-management, keeping all of those egos in check isn't easy, even if the football he has them play is gross.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad