GWT: World Cup - Group D (France and Australia Advance)

Who Advances?

• France

Votes: 45 95.7%
  • Denmark

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Tunisia

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
For all not knowing why it was called offside: Griezmann was clearly offside and the header of the tunisian defender wasn't a controlled clearing attempt due to that push from Kolo Muani. By rules that wasn't a new playing situation which means offside of Griezmann
Either it's a foul or it's not.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
For all not knowing why it was called offside: Griezmann was clearly offside and the header of the tunisian defender wasn't a controlled clearing attempt due to that push from Kolo Muani. By rules that wasn't a new playing situation which means offside of Griezmann

Not saying you are wrong, I trust you know the rules but if that's the case it's an extremely subjective way to call the offside rule.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
European teams never actually lose or draw because the opponent played well, they just had a bad day lol

I should know better than to expect an american to understand nuance, but sometimes, it's a little of column A and a little of column B...

This is a crazy sport where crazy things happen and the superior side doesn't always win. As a fan of an overachieving team that goes into most matches as the inferior side, 1.FC Union Berlin, it's part of what makes it so fun.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I should know better than to expect an american to understand nuance, but sometimes, it's a little of column A and a little of column B...
Man talking about nuances, and then generalizes based on nationality. OH THE IRONY LOL

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
I guess so. But Australia and Tunisia also underrated then

Probably yes. Also the circumstances with less preparation before this tournament than usual. One thing that haven’t been discussed at all from what i can tell is the certain climate. I know it isn’t extremely hot or anything but still the climate is a little bit different from what Europeans are used to and that could be a slight advantage for teams from the continent.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's spelled Renly

Oh shit lol, thanks

EDIT:
Anyways. Since you started generalizing european fans with the "european teams" comment, I assumed you wanted to engage in some nationalistic s***-talk...thus my using an archer quote to explain myself...and I didn't think that calling americans easily distracted was particularly harsh given the other options :dunno:

No hard feelings I hope, nothing serious was intended. And thanks again for catching that, that's been there for years :laugh:

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Even without a push a clearing attempt can be an uncontrolled attempt which also would lead to an offside call.
Yes, and that is really not relevant to this situation. Refer to the deflection example in the link below. That is an uncontrolled attempt. This play was absolutely not that.

It seems they interpreted it with this rule re: deliberate versus deflection: A Law 11 Revolution: Deliberate play vs. Deflection

And my verdict is this was a horrible call. Two guys are allowed to contest the ball, that doesn't make the defensive header anything but a deliberate act.

Reactions: GabeTravels

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Watching the replay now, it was a really poor call on the offside. Controlled or not is irrelevant. The key distinction is deliberate.

The Tunisian player clearly deliberately played the ball in an action that was not a instinctive action or an attempt at a save, but rather a deliberate attempt at a clear. The ball was clearly not going into the goal (or reasonable close to it to trigger the "save" part of the rule) and the defender had the opportunity to take a couple steps and set himself. Being involved in a duel with an attacker (who is clearly onside) does not automatically negate it being a deliberate play.

If the defender had chosen to try to chip the header behind himself (to concede a corner) he would have been successful. Instead he tried to get more on the header to full clear it but misjudged it. I don't see how his action is anything but a deliberate play.

Either it should be a foul against the French player (which would be absurdly soft) or no offside.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You mean the guy who plays for a team that has conceded more goals than West Ham and Everton at 16th and 17th? Oh well.
That ain’t his fault. He was injured for a bit. Blame Maguire. He sucks. Also the team in 5th.

Would have been higher if we dropped Ronaldo and Maguire earlier too.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
That ain’t his fault. He was injured for a bit. Blame Maguire. He sucks. Also the team in 5th.

Would have been higher if we dropped Ronaldo and Maguire earlier too.

A lot of whataboutism there. Maguire isn’t doing bad here so maybe it isn’t all on him? But since Varane seems pretty injury prone you should be worry he might crash again. I feel comfortable Saliba will come back in full shape.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
A lot of whataboutism there. Maguire isn’t doing bad here so maybe it isn’t all on him? But since Varane seems pretty injury prone you should be worry he might crash again. I feel comfortable Saliba will come back in full shape.
Bud Twas obviously a joke. I could argue every single one of your points too. They are bad. It’s just not worth it for something that was obviously a joke

Reactions: Brunkmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad