GWT: World Cup - Group D (France and Australia Advance)

Who Advances?

• France

Votes: 45 95.7%
  • Denmark

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Tunisia

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Group D appears to be pretty straightforward, but as is often the case in World Cups, surprises can happen. France, the defending champions, have had to deal with some significant injuries, including late injuries to star strikers, but the team remains loaded with young superstars and experienced vets. Denmark, the favorite to finish second in the group, is on a strong run of form and returns Christian Eriksen, who experienced a significant medical emergency in the most recent Euros. Meanwhile, the Socceroos have been known for their upsets in World Cup play, while Tunisia has a strong goalscorer up front and young talent waiting in the wings.

Key Players: Kylian Mbappe (France), Aurelien Tchouameni (France), Simon Kjaer (Denmark), Christian Eriksen (Denmark), Mathew Ryan (Australia), Mathew Leckie (Australia), Hannibal Mejbri (Tunisia), Wahbi Khazri (Tunisia)

HomeAwayTime and Date (CST)Venue
DenmarkTunisiaTue., Nov. 22, 7:00 AMEducation City Stadium
FranceAustraliaTue., Nov. 22, 1:00 PMAl Janoub Stadium
TunisiaAustraliaSat., Nov. 26, 4:00 AMAl Janoub Stadium
FranceDenmarkSat., Nov. 26, 10:00 AMStadium 974
TunisiaFranceWed., Nov. 30, 9:00 AMEducation City Stadium
AustraliaDenmarkWed., Nov. 30, 9:00 AMAl Janoub Stadium

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm not going to overthink this one. The winner's curse ends here with France escaping the group stage.

Denmark
France
Australia
Tunisia

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Easiest group to predict I think with France and Denmark going through.

Denmark looking like a very popular darkhorse pick. We'll see if they live up to it.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Easiest group to predict I think with France and Denmark going through.

Denmark looking like a very popular darkhorse pick. We'll see if they live up to it.
They wont.

Maybe, only maybe if we finish 1st, and Argentina 1st.

But if we pair up with Argentina in the R16, forget about it.

Reactions: Tuggy

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It’s a good thing France is as deep as they are, but they’ve lost a lot of high end, core pieces already.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Reports state a 3 week recovery time. Which makes me surprised that they are declaring him out of the tournament, considering that the late stages of the knockout round would be 3-4 weeks away and also the fact that the rosters have been expanded to 26 for this year.

It is a contrast to hockey, where players are never officially ruled out during the playoffs even when suffering serious injuries.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This ref really ain’t gonna call any fouls against Denmark eh?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Tunisia with a lot of moxy early.

Stadium is rocking.

Clearly they saw the Argentina result.
Tunisia getting a result against Denmark would be much less of an upset than Saudi Arabia beating Argentina. Denmark is another one of those 2nd tier European teams where 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'. If those teams don't find a good rhythm they can look terribly mediocre. What I'm saying is that Tunisia probably went into this with some hopes of a result regardless of what the Saudis did earlier.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tunisia getting a result against Denmark would be much less of an upset than Saudi Arabia beating Argentina. Denmark is another one of those 2nd tier European teams where 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'. If those teams don't find a good rhythm they can look terribly mediocre. What I'm saying is that Tunisia probably went into this with some hopes of a result regardless of what the Saudis did earlier.

If you don’t think a major upset by a regional rival provides a boost, well I’m going to have to disagree.

I’m not sure where I stated that it would be an upset on par with Saudi Arabia-Argentina.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If you don’t think a major upset by a regional rival doesn’t provide a boost, well I’m going to have to disagree.

I’m not sure where I stated that it would be an upset on par with Saudi Arabia-Argentina.
The impression I got from your post was that the Tunisians are hyped because of the Saudis. I think they're hyped because it's their 1st match at the World Cup and they think they can win it.

I'm also not aware of any rivalry between Tunisia and Saudi Arabia. They're not even in the same confederation.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The impression I got from your post was that the Tunisians are hyped because of the Saudis. I think they're hyped because it's their 1st match at the World Cup and they think they can win it.

I think every team is hyped about their first match in the World Cup.

I don’t consider that particularly revelatory.

I'm also not aware of any rivalry between Tunisia and Saudi Arabia. They're not even in the same confederation.

They are both Arab nations, members of the Arab league, etc.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Now the commentators at half time are talking about Tunisia taking something from the earlier Saudi result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad