GWT: World Cup - Group D (France and Australia Advance)

Who Advances?

• France

Votes: 45 95.7%
  • Denmark

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Tunisia

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Can someone explain to me why we are over 12 min into what was supposed to be only 8 min of extra time?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Denmark was just awful for all 3 games. I don't get it. They cruised through the qualifiers, were rock solid for years now, beat France twice in the Nations League... And just look utterly devoid of ideas in the WC.

My biggest disappointment so far, and I was rooting for them too.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I think that's a poor offside call unless I'm missing something.

Yes, he's offside when the ball is played, however he makes zero attempt to play the ball, until the Tunisian player heads it.

Reminds me of the Korea/Germany one 4 years ago, which I think they got right.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Yikes. Semi finalists in the Euros to this.

Seems like everyone was pretty high in them too pre tournament.

I think it shows this group was tougher than people gave it credit for. 84% on here though Denmark was going through and they were def a popular underdog pick. I guess they are just dogs though

They are highly overrated. Their ”best” players are scrubs for clubs like Spurs and United. That is basically Sweden and we also suck right now.

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Never offside but the push on the defender was was there. I don't know how they can call that offside.
That was two guys contesting for a ball. That's why I was confused, that play was neither offside, nor a foul for me. But whatever, France didn't deserve that goal anyway.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Can someone explain to me why we are over 12 min into what was supposed to be only 8 min of extra time?

They reviewed the goal, but also throughout the tournament additional minutes have been added to injury time. It's been very fluid.

I'm more puzzled that this was called offside.
Griezmann was initially offside but came back onside and then received the ball from the opposing defender.

I must be really out of the loop on the rules.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
They reviewed the goal, but also throughout the tournament additional minutes have been added to injury time. It's been very fluid.

I'm more puzzled that this was called offside.
Griezmann was initially offside but came back onside and then received the ball from the opposing defender.

I must be really out of the loop on the rules.
Seems like there is a lot of room for tom foolery

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They are highly overrated. Their ”best” players are scrubs for clubs like Spurs and United. That is basically Sweden and we also suck right now.
I guess so. But Australia and Tunisia also underrated then

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yikes. Semi finalists in the Euros to this.

Seems like everyone was pretty high in them too pre tournament.

I think it shows this group was tougher than people gave it credit for. 84% on here though Denmark was going through and they were def a popular underdog pick. I guess they are just dogs though

The fun part is that I wasn't even high on them to do more than advance from their group :laugh:...see my predictions in the prediction thread for proof.

The whole point of my initial essay was that teams don't play their absolute best in every single game, so using a single result to judge a team's capacity was asinine. But then I got sucked into a discussion about how each team matched up if both were at their best.

...which the Danes obviously weren't at this tourney the way they were at the euros...

Last edited:

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
For all not knowing why it was called offside: Griezmann was clearly offside and the header of the tunisian defender wasn't a controlled clearing attempt due to that push from Kolo Muani. By rules that wasn't a new playing situation which means offside of Griezmann

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I think that's a poor offside call unless I'm missing something.

Yes, he's offside when the ball is played, however he makes zero attempt to play the ball, until the Tunisian player heads it.

Reminds me of the Korea/Germany one 4 years ago, which I think they got right.

I was hesitant at first to make a comment on this because I admittedly haven't closely followed the rule changes since VAR was implemented.
I am iffy on what counts as handball nowadays, but as far as I remember Griezmann was initially offside , never interfered while he was offside, came back onside and then received the ball from the Tunisian defender. That's not offside.

I thought they were gonna call it a foul, but offside gives me some big WTF moments.

The ref in this game was really shitty.

Reactions: GabeTravels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad