GWT: World Cup Final - Argentina v. France

Who will be the 2022 World Cup Champion?

• Total voters

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dont think anyone expects sports to wash away their problems or provide them a better life lol... what its for is to provide a brief moment of happiness and ideally make you forget about the troubles of life for 90 minutes. No different that watching a film, playing a video game or spending time with loved ones.
Poignant.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Dont think anyone expects sports to wash away their problems or provide them a better life lol... what its for is to provide a brief moment of happiness and ideally make you forget about the troubles of life for 90 minutes. No different that watching a film, playing a video game or spending time with loved ones.
That just shows you don't know enough people. A lot of fans are way more invested in the team they follow than most people are about any other 'diversion' such as movies, TV shows or games. It's more than entertainment for fans. And while there's people pretty hardcore into music or movies, there's a reason there's no Ben Affleck fan ultras that fire flares at the opposing Bradley Cooper fans. It's not comparable at all.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That just shows you don't know enough people. A lot of fans are way more invested in the team they follow than most people are about any other 'diversion' such as movies, TV shows or games. It's more than entertainment for fans. And while there's people pretty hardcore into music or movies, there's a reason there's no Ben Affleck fan ultras that fire flares at the opposing Bradley Cooper fans. It's not comparable at all.
It was an example… no one actually believes watching sports will change their life. If you know anyone, a lot of your posts suddenly make more sense

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It was an example… no one actually believes watching sports will change their life. If you know anyone, a lot of your posts suddenly make more sense
An example of what? It's an invalid comparison, that's all there is to it.

And lots of people may rationally be aware of the fact that their team winning something doesn't change their life, but they emotionally are so tied up in it that they feel like it would. So many fans consider their teams winning things the absolute highlights of their lives. They feverishly hope, dream etc. about it. It can absolutely consume them. I don't even want to know how many seriously meant prayers were said in Argentina on Sunday to ask for victory. People weep when they lose, they start fight with others, they weep when they win too and they may hug total strangers. It's not all that logical, and it's also obvious that it's not some 'diversion' where 20 minutes afterwards they dust themselves off and go back to normal life.

I'm not that invested now and haven't been for years, but when I was younger? Sure, I was obsessed with it. If you don't understand any of that, then I don't know how you can call yourself a fan to be honest. More like a 'casual observer' which to be honest given how bent out of shape you get by so many of the arguments on here doesn't really have the ring of truth.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

And lots of people may rationally be aware of the fact that their team winning something doesn't change their life, but they emotionally are so tied up in it that they feel like it would. So many fans consider their teams winning things the absolute highlights of their lives. They feverishly hope, dream etc. about it. It can absolutely consume them. I don't even want to know how many seriously meant prayers were said in Argentina on Sunday to ask for victory. People weep when they lose, they start fight with others, they weep when they win too and they may hug total strangers. It's not all that logical, and it's also obvious that it's not some 'diversion' where 20 minutes afterwards they dust themselves off and go back to normal life.

I'm not that invested now and haven't been for years, but when I was younger? Sure, I was obsessed with it. If you don't understand any of that, then I don't know how you can call yourself a fan to be honest. More like a 'casual observer' which to be honest given how bent out of shape you get by so many of the arguments on here doesn't really have the ring of truth.
Its all escapism....no matter the passion or obsession reality sets in and people move on with their lives. Don't see how this is a debate lol.

Im far from a casual observer ...

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
What does "not knowing enough people" even mean? I know plenty of people that are passionate about hockey and have been so all their lives to the point where they play in beer leagues every week to get it out of their system. Guess what? They are sad but not depressed when their favorite team loses and they move on with their lives. You just know people with issues that also happen to be sports fans. Too bad that those people soured your opinion on sports but that's your business.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

I see enough posts around here from time to time about people needing to see the team win a Cup before they die and seemingly convinced they are incomplete or their life will somehow be different/better after it happens (there's also this side notion of deserving to have their team win a Cup and having had suffered through their fandom). I had a good friend of mine that would regularly bail out of pre-planned get togethers because the football team he was following at the time (guy was always a massive front-runner) lost a regular season game (one that had no impact on the team's post-season chances). It's...sad. Watched the Kings go through two successful Cup runs. Nothing life-affirming or life-changing about it, and things would be no different had it never happened and they'd spent the last decade plus as a fringe- or non-playoff team.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I see enough posts around here from time to time about people needing to see the team win a Cup before they die and seemingly convinced they are incomplete or their life will somehow be different/better after it happens (there's also this side notion of deserving to have their team win a Cup and having had suffered through their fandom). I had a good friend of mine that would regularly bail out of pre-planned get togethers because the football team he was following at the time (guy was always a massive front-runner) lost a regular season game (one that had no impact on the team's post-season chances). It's...sad. Watched the Kings go through two successful Cup runs. Nothing life-affirming or life-changing about it, and things would be no different had it never happened and they'd spent the last decade plus as a fringe- or non-playoff team.
Yeah I'm not saying that people should feel this way, I'm just bemused by people claiming they can't imagine or can't think of anyone being like that. It's pretty common among fan communities. Sometimes I think some people just disagree for the sake of it.

Reactions: al secord and BMann

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad