World Cup: Aug 31 GDT - USA vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazzy-19

Mar 3, 2004
Vancouver
dw2927 said:
Just for even-ness (if that's even a word)...

I think Canada will win fairly big, pulling away in the 3rd...If Modano and Tkachuk don't have it cranked up by now, I don't see who will be doing the scoring for the USA...i'll go with a 3-0 Canuck win.

With a Markus Naslund hatrick. Oops wrong canucks. :)

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Too much has been made over the U.S. team's age, when the focus should be on the skill level and chemistry. The goaltending is a question mark, but Esche and DiPietro have both looked sharp. As for the defense, as long as we don't get bogged down in the defensive zone we'll be fine.

I don't see age as much of a problem. Of course, I'm a Wings fans so I'm used to seeing a bunch of older players still playing :)

The tournament is a very short one. Age to me isn't really a factor when so few games are being played. It's not like an 82 regular season schedule plus 4 rounds of playoffs.

High flyin' Habs*

4-3 Canada. I think this will be a close one since Canada usually starts off tournaments slowly(2002 olympics) but then picks it up.
Canada: Iginla, Gagne, Heatly 2

Reilly311

I like the comments that "The US goaltending is too inexperienced" yet Canada is icing the youngest and most inexperienced team in the tournament. :lol

High flyin' Habs*

Reilly311 said:
I like the comments that "The US goaltending is too inexperienced" yet Canada is icing the youngest and most inexperienced team in the tournament. :lol
Yeah but we have the much much more experienced goalie.

Reilly311

smoothskater said:
Yeah but we have the much much more experienced goalie.

oh thats right, a goalie that LOST to the starting US goaltender in the playoffs and that was one win away from going to the stanley cup final. Brodeur looked average against Slovakia and it would have been worse had they not hit the crossbar so many times against him. People are overrating the Canadian defense too.

High flyin' Habs*

Reilly311 said:
oh thats right, a goalie that LOST to the starting US goaltender in the playoffs and that was one win away from going to the stanley cup final. Brodeur looked average against Slovakia and it would have been worse had they not hit the crossbar so many times against him. People are overrating the Canadian defense too.
Esch s**ks! nuff said :p:

Reilly311

nomorekids said:
alright, alright! i stood up for you earlier, reilly...don't make me regret it!

calm down! can the trash talk!

trash talk? :dunno:

ExplosiveLEAFman

Jan 6, 2004
Reilly311 said:

You are right. The canadians are huge underdogs in this tournament. It will take great will, heart and determination for them to even look as they belong.
:lol

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
There is no official word yet, but these are Canada's projected lines based on practice, rumour and word of mouth out of the Corel Centre...

Lemieux-Sakic-Iginla
Gagne-Richards-St. Louis
Draper-Lecavalier-Heatley
Maltby-Thornton-Doan

Redden-Jovo
Foote-Neidermeyer
Regehr-Brewer

Brodeur
Luongo

Scratches: Morrow, Marleau, Smyth, Hannan, Jay-Bo, Theo

First line Powerplay in practice yesterday: Lemieux-Lecavalier-Iginla, with Redden and Sakic at the point.

Sounds like Maltby better have a good game or there be a lynching! Seriously though, the line-up is attempting to creat a bit of balanced defensive awareness on the left side, although I'd personally rather see Smyth there in stead of Maltby.
I'm sure they'll mix things up and Heatley-Thornton-Doan will see some powerplay time as well.

I've got tickets in the Red's and suspect we'll have tight game. I'll call a 3-3 tie, but am obviously hoping for a Canadian win.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:
There is no official word yet, but these are Canada's projected lines based on practice, rumour and word of mouth out of the Corel Centre...

Lemieux-Sakic-Iginla
Gagne-Richards-St. Louis
Draper-Lecavalier-Heatley
Maltby-Thornton-Doan

Redden-Jovo
Foote-Neidermeyer
Regehr-Brewer

Brodeur
Luongo

Scratches: Morrow, Marleau, Smyth, Hannan, Jay-Bo, Theo

First line Powerplay in practice yesterday: Lemieux-Lecavalier-Iginla, with Redden and Sakic at the point.

Sounds like Maltby better have a good game or there be a lynching! Seriously though, the line-up is attempting to creat a bit of balanced defensive awareness on the left side, although I'd personally rather see Smyth there in stead of Maltby.
I'm sure they'll mix things up and Heatley-Thornton-Doan will see some powerplay time as well.

I've got tickets in the Red's and suspect we'll have tight game. I'll call a 3-3 tie, but am obviously hoping for a Canadian win.

That first line is SICK!!!! :bow:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Canada 4 USA 1. I think the defense of the USA will get lit up in this tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad