World Cup: Aug 31 GDT - USA vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
NataSatan666 said:
How about calling a spade a spade. Both teams looked like minor leaguers. Was more missed coverage and players falling down for no reason than I have ever saw before. I watched the first and part of the second before turning it off because the game was garbage, the reffing was garbage, and the team Canada sweaters were beyond garbage. I won't support or watch from now on anything to do with the NHL or with the NHLPA until both sides get their heads out of their butts and give the fans hockey.

What we watched tonight was not hockey
I respectfully disagree. The Czechs were garbage, the German
s were not up to it but last night was quite entertaining. Give us a 4 out of 7 of that. Seperate the labour issues from the tourney at hand. I'm on the owners side but i like international hockey too much to boycott it.

FraserOtt

Apr 23, 2004
nomorekids said:
it's silly to pin this on one group of fans, though. the american fans on this board(some of them) are frustrated over a pretty hard-fought loss. if you go back and read the thread after the canadian loss, you'll see the canadian fans were the same way.

This wasn't intended to be a generalization, or to supress one group of people, as I did point out that us Canadians were seemingly trumpeting victoy, despite it being game one. I just thought that everyone should relax a little and should have enjoy one heck of a hockey game.

nomorekids said:
regardless of who you are or where you're from, everyone needs to take it down a notch around here, though. just because you're excited over the win\disappointed after the loss doesn't mean the rules go out the window. if i delete one of your posts...consider yourself warned. if you do it again, you'll be taking a vacation.

This was all I was trying to illustrate, I guess my point wasn't coherent enough.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Teezax said:
So is Esche the guaranteed starter for US? Hopefully he is, as it will give him the experience he needs to become an elite goalie in the NHL. That being siad, ther eis way too much firepower on the Canadian side for him to hold up, Canada edges out the US 2-1.

Can: Heatley, Sakic
US: Guerin

If I had put St Louis instead of Heatley, I would have been bang on!

NWT Habs Fan

Apr 25, 2003
Edmonton, AB
Visit site
I was just glad to see "real" hockey again, even if it looked like early season hockey with some mistakes that you don't see by the end of the season. Heck, I can live with that as it is early season hockey, but these guys are the best in the world, so it will only get better.

As a Canadian, I am glad our team won, but both teams have positives to take away from the game, as well as areas on which to improve. The Canadians will like their start, but look at improving the intensity that faded by the midpoint of the game. They did a decent job of sitting back and nursing a one-goal lead, even if it made for less exciting hockey for the fans compared to that blistering first period. Well earned win, but there was a sufficient scare from not putting the Americans away when they had a chance.

As for the Americans, the goaltending question marks should be put to rest now. Esche was really stellar and was the #1 star of the game IMO. Without him, this game could have been a real ugly game. I also like the tenacity with which they came back, kudos to that. Clearly, the first 27 minutes or so should have a coach shaking his head, and if not for world class goaltending, that could have been game-over on most nights. Can't start games like that all tourney.

So, the Canada-US rivalry is still alive and well, the intensity of the players was evident, and will only get better if these two teams meet again down the road...and here's hoping for that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad