GDT: World Championship Thread | Mark Stone - Champion of the World (with some other guys)

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I'd easily, EASILY, take Rielly over Ceci, no questions asked.

Ceci is great, better than I thought he'd be (I wasn't high on him when drafted, and the season after he was drafted), but Rielly is going to be a #1 D in this league for a long time.

I have doubts about Rielly being a #1 because I don't see him having an elite dimension.

I'm using special teams as a proxy because they tend to indicate utility for all game situations. Basically, they indicate versatility and that leads to ES ice time too.

A #1 has an elite dimension, if not two. As a proxy, I'll say the dominant player on one special team and at least solid on the other. That obviously won't be Ceci.

Bottom pairing guys are one-dimensional bubble players who fill out 1 spot on one of the 2nd units (thinking Campoli-Carkner here). Ceci is better than this now.

A #4 is typically a strong one-dimensional player who'll get significant time on one special team. Methot and Phillips occasionally got significant PP minutes and had offensive partners... Ceci just bested their career seasons with virtually no PP time and weak partners.

#2-3 is where the minute eating two-way guys are usually slotted. I think this is where Ceci ends up because he's shown enough all round ability to eventually eat minutes and be used in all situations. I also think that Rielly will ultimately wind up in the #2 range instead of #1.

My main opinion based on how close their careers have been so far, despite Rielly getting much more opportunity, is that I doubt they'll be any more than one slot apart on a hypothetical average teams depth chart. Most likely #2 for Rielly and #3 for Ceci.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Rielly looks a lot like Chris Phillips without the defensive prowess (which can be greatly improved).

A good first pass, he can skate (better than Phillips).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Reilly is a dazzling skater. That dazzle tends to mask a lot of hockey IQ deficiencies. we saw those deficiencies surface big time in the WC. He will never be a #1.

And in the WC, Ceci was definitely better overall then Reilly. We can argue who had the better career a decade or two from now. (Saying who has the better WC is NOT saying who has the better NHL career or better potential. That's the point.)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I guess but Bouwmeester is much bigger. That allows for a better reach and he can be more imposing/physical.

It's tough to compare players with other players but Bouwmeester would fit Rielly well too. An ideal scenario for the Leafs - he develops into a #2.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Chris Wideman looked great on US PP...poised, good shot. Maybe Sens should use him more on PP (if he's good enuf for World champ PP). This World tourney should be a great confidence boost to Wideman, Ceci, Stone (<--World Cup).

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Apparently team Canada is going to announce their final roster for the world cup today.

Here is to the small chance that Stone makes it. Probably won't make it, but i hope he does.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Oh well. If Stone continues with his amazing play, he absolutely will make it in the future.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I mean... isn't Giroux getting surgery? I'm assuming rehab comes after that.

Duchene wasn't that impressive compared to many others at the tournament and on Team Canada.

Muzzin? Yeah I started a giant troll fest with Muzzin and his production at 5 on 5/ES in the Norris threads but it was more to rock the boat of LAK and Toronto fans and their Doughty fawn fest.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
Well all in all, I guess we will have our team coming in to the season with less miles than other teams. Could help a little.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I thought Ceci would make it too but I wonder if they wanted to have more of a split of USA and Canada?

Politics are surely part of the process. ..I am disappointed for both Stone and Ceci.

Especially Ceci as realistically this was his only chance to play in a tournament of this caliber.

Don't think either guy needs motivation but an extra chip on the shoulder of the right people can help produce good returns.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Im actually pumped for the Word Cup. Rooting for my boys Silf, Lehner, Karl, and Lundqvist to medal up.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
U23 team will have McDavid, Eichel, Ekblad, Matthews, Drouin, Gaudreau, Monahan, Saad et al. Jesus that team is fast and skilled. How do you stop a team that fast?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Do we have the fewest representatives of all NHL teams at the World Cup?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
U23 team will have McDavid, Eichel, Ekblad, Matthews, Drouin, Gaudreau, Monahan, Saad et al. Jesus that team is fast and skilled. How do you stop a team that fast?
That's only a concern if they get the puck. Will the D be able to get it to them? Second year McDavid and Eichel will be very strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad