GDT: World Championship Thread | Mark Stone - Champion of the World (with some other guys)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well the World Championship is almost here.

Ceci, Stone and Wideman are all participating.

First game for Canada is May 6 against the United States.

Will be watching just to see Stone and Ceci play.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Wonder if we'll see Toews and Kane this year.
Oh and Crawford is available now!
Actually Seabrook and Keith are both a IIHF gold away from joining the triple gold club.

Wonder if NHL players care about that particular collection.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Actually Seabrook and Keith are both a IIHF gold away from joining the triple gold club.

That would be great, notwithstanding the fact that Kane would be playing for Team USA. In truth, though, I wouldn't blame any guy who has already been named to the World Cup team for taking a pass. Their summer will already be shortened by a few weeks...

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Isn’t there a certain defensemen from LA who might want to consider? You know that guy that might steal Karlsson's crown????

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
this sure seems like a young man's tourney now, not one player over the age of 27 for team Canada?

Good!

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it certainly feels like our major rosters (like the olympics) have a major age gap happening....you're either in the Crosby/Perry range(30+), or you're a token kid like Duchene.

Kinda feels like we're missing a lot of guys in the 23-28 age group. Might come back to bite us once the old guard start to retire.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
this sure seems like a young man's tourney now, not one player over the age of 27 for team Canada?

Well most of the older players probably don't really give a **** about the World Championships.

It doesn't have the same prestige as the Olympics or the World Cup.

In addition, the players that are participating in the World Cup are definitely not going to accept a invite to the World Championship.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I have a very hard time seeing any of those Blackhawks or Kings joining team USA, Sweden or Canada who already have spots. They should rest up for the World Cup in September.

In reality, those team should use younger players to evaluate them for the World Cup. Obviously team USA has a different approach which is fine imo, they're al about player development and that is great. This tournament is entertaining but pretty meaningless.

Gonna be fun to watch Ceci and Stone on this team though. Those guys are BFFs and this will be a good chance for Stone to shoe he belongs there in September.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The 'World Cup'?
Meh, more like NHL all star game: tournament edition

IIHF championship at least is a legitimate ranked international tournament. Not a bunch of NHL all-star rosters and couple gimmick teams.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The 'World Cup'?

IIHF championship at least is a legitimate ranked international tournament. Not a bunch of NHL all-star rosters and couple gimmick teams.

I totally agree. This world cup is a joke. I do not support it in its current form. It will not replace the Olympic tournament no matter how hard it's pushed down our throat by the nhl.

My previous post was just conjecture, trying to figure out the mentality of players who have been conscripted into the event, like Karlsson. I'm sure he would have played in the WHC this year if it weren't for the world cup. Along the same idea there's just no reason for Toews, Kane, Doughty, Carter, Keith, Hjarlmasson etc to bother.

Back in Black

Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Isn’t there a certain defensemen from LA who might want to consider? You know that guy that might steal Karlsson's crown????
Pretty high praise for Jake Muzzin. Pass.

Ummm, Drew Doughty came to mind! :sarcasm:

The 'World Cup'?

I cheer for my Country regardless of who's name is on the back or which Tournament it happens to be!

GO CANADA GO!

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Ummm, Drew Doughty came to mind! :sarcasm:

3Gpey.jpg

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Pretty dope experience for Stone and Ceci!

Two of our core guys, glad to see them soaking up this opportunity.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Well most of the older players probably don't really give a **** about the World Championships.

It doesn't have the same prestige as the Olympics or the World Cup.

In addition, the players that are participating in the World Cup are definitely not going to accept a invite to the World Championship.

:laugh: oh my god you're not serious.

WHC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WC

AINEC

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

AINEC

Whaaaaaa? I have no attachment to either tournament but how can anyone possibly believe this? We're talking about a best on best tournament vs. Whoever is available and feels like they want to play tournament. AINEC definitely applies here and it goes the opposite way you've suggested.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

AINEC

Whaaaaaa? I have no attachment to either tournament but how can anyone possibly believe this? We're talking about a best on best tournament vs. Whoever is available and feels like they want to play tournament. AINEC definitely applies here and it goes the opposite way you've suggested.

Ya, Furious you have it totally backwards here. You can argue that the WC is a forced gimmick, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the WHC contains like 1/4 of the best NHL'ers, whereas almost all the best players in the world will be competing at the WC. The quality of competition alone is the trump card in this discussion.

Just because the WHC is often held overseas and "euro fans", doesn't in any way, shape, or form mean it is better.

Honestly, both tournaments pretty much mean nothing, so the Q of C alone wins out.

Back in Black

Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I get why some fans don’t care much for the WC’s as it’s usually no names who aren’t in the Playoffs......

But not sure why people don’t like the WCoH (1996- present). It’s origins come from the Canada Cup 1976-1991, which of course came from the great 1972 Summit Series.

Great history with this tournament, just a different name! :yo:

picture.php

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not sure why people don’t like the WCoH (1996- present). It’s origins come from the Canada Cup 1976-1991, which of course came from the great 1972 Summit Series.

Great history with this tournament, just a different name! :yo:

picture.php

I think there's a lot of unhappiness over the tournament format, specifically the creation of this artificial "Team North America" and "Team Europe". We all know why they were created - more teams, more games, more money. It was just such an obvious gimmick and money grab that it has left a lot of fans feeling cold towards the tournament. I'll still watch, but it certainly has taken some of the shine off it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad