GDT: World Championship Thread | Mark Stone - Champion of the World (with some other guys)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah not worried at all about either of them ,just think some players get the overhype .While others get the shaft :laugh:

Ain't that always the way?

A guy very few are talking about on here is Chris Wideman, after winning the AHL defensive of the yr & then playing most of last season with Ottawa & having made the USA team, he has had a decent couple of yrs. I expect that he will be a good addition to the 3rd pairing next season & will start to emerge a little himself. Karlsson, Ceci & Wideman down the right side isn't too bad as all three are PMD although a tad small for my liking.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ain't that always the way?

A guy very few are talking about on here is Chris Wideman, after winning the AHL defensive of the yr & then playing most of last season with Ottawa & having made the USA team, he has had a decent couple of yrs. I expect that he will be a good addition to the 3rd pairing next season & will start to emerge a little himself. Karlsson, Ceci & Wideman down the right side isn't too bad as all three are PMD although a tad small for my liking.
I found the coaches comments about how he wants to use Ceci in a shutdown role intriging,maybe we might see Methot and Ceci together

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

We should re-sign Gryba and then attempt to force both Wideman and Gryba into the teleportation machine from The Fly at the same time to see what comes out the other end.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Article From one of our better Jets posters. I thought Stone and Schiefele looked great together all tournament. Here is an article breaking down some additional stats that back up the eye test about Stone. Green means good and top right quadrant is best.

http://jetsnation.ca/2016/5/22/by-the-numbers-jets-and-potential-jets-shine-in-russia

I realize it's a Jets at the worlds article but Stone is covered a bit so I thought some of you would find it worth while.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
yea i was really impressed with scheifele

Stone was unreal and I am glad that he didn't end up injuring that shoulder. 6th round drat pick makes Stone right there with Johnny Hockey as one of those great late round value picks......congrats.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Rielly was clearly the best d. Ceci wasn't even close to his level.

Ceci was better than Reilly for the first half of the tournament. Reilly better than Ceci for the second half.

The statement "Wasn't even close to his level" is entirely dependent on which games you watched, as it applies to both players.

Both fanbases are being overprotective of "their guy", which considering we're talking about the Leafs and Sens here, surprises me exactly zero percent.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Rielly was clearly the best d. Ceci wasn't even close to his level.

Not accurate at all really. Regardless, I would certainly expect that one team's number one would be better than another team's number 3/4 :laugh:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Rielly Tanev gave up prime scoring chances all tournament long playing against the 2nd and 3rd lines of most teams.

I wasn't very impressed. The gold medal game they had several shifts against Laine and the best scoring chance of the game - Rielly is puckwatching and leaves Laine all alone in front where Talbot has to make a great save.

Too much panicked play and puck watching from Rielly all tournament long. The number of quality chances other teams got but didn't score on was incredible.

After Ceci was moved away from Murray and had to be paired with Matheson and Dumba (the guy people were saying should be benched the whole tournament) - Ceci looked worse. He looked like Rielly. Ugh. Panicked defending.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Remember, we have to pay Ceci this spring. Better to let Team Canada deal with reducing his swollen head than Dorion.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I was being cheeky, but you think there's an NHL point-per-dollar equation they apply, both sides agree unequivocally, and sign? They appraise talent and value, compare it to similar players, and negotiate term & cost. Performance in international competition could be used to change someone's opinion, whether it's the player's own opinion of themselves, their agent's determination to compare to other players, or Dorion's opinion of the player and their performance with talented line-mates.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lmao less minutes and only 3 points compared to Ceci's eight.

Yes, Leaf fans, you're just terrified at the notion that our 2nd best or 3rd best defender is closer to your number 1 guy.

I'd easily, EASILY, take Rielly over Ceci, no questions asked.

Ceci is great, better than I thought he'd be (I wasn't high on him when drafted, and the season after he was drafted), but Rielly is going to be a #1 D in this league for a long time.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I was being cheeky, but you think there's an NHL point-per-dollar equation they apply, both sides agree unequivocally, and sign? They appraise talent and value, compare it to similar players, and negotiate term & cost. Performance in international competition could be used to change someone's opinion, whether it's the player's own opinion of themselves, their agent's determination to compare to other players, or Dorion's opinion of the player and their performance with talented line-mates.

My point was more that just as we wouldn't lowball Ceci on his next contract if he had an underwhelming international tourney, we shouldn't expect his contract demands to be higher for a good performance at a tournament the Sens didn't benefit from.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Ceci is great, better than I thought he'd be (I wasn't high on him when drafted, and the season after he was drafted), but Rielly is going to be a #1 D in this league for a long time.

Yeah well, that's like just ur opinion man.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

But is he going to be #1 by default or a dominant #1? Karlsson, Doutghty, Subban, etc are dominant #1

Edmonton, Red wings, Columbus, NJ, Colorado, Dallas, Vancouver. That's example of team who have #1 Dman, but they aren't very dominant #1. I don't know if my explanation is clear. English isn't my first language.

He should ask, where do you see Morgan Rielly in term of #1? High tier, Middle Tier or low tier.

IMO, Rielly would be Low middle tier. He could prove me wrong, but it's not difficult to find at least 10 #1 before him.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Rielly is like Rafalski with some speed and limited vision.

He should be a #2/3 on average-good (top half of league) teams but Toronto has billed him as a #1.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
But is he going to be #1 by default or a dominant #1? Karlsson, Doutghty, Subban, etc are dominant #1
depends on how much offense you see from him. Leafs fans believe that it'll climb once he gets PP opportunities and has a strong group in front of him.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
depends on how much offense you see from him. Leafs fans believe that it'll climb once he gets PP opportunities and has a strong group in front of him.
I see 40-45 points average for Reilly, maybe topping out at 50 during his best couple years while being good (not great) defensively. I Ceci as a 30-35 point d-man topping out at 40 on occassion while being just as good defensively. Given that we have Karlsson I'll take that and be happy.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Yeah well, that's like just ur opinion man.

I don't think there's any question to the non-biased hockey fan that Rielly is better than Ceci and probably always will be. Ceci doesn't suck...just Rielly is better. Fortunately I doubt he breaks out as a top tier defenseman, but he will likely be one of those solid first pairing defenders in the Bouwmeester tier.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We should re-sign Gryba and then attempt to force both Wideman and Gryba into the teleportation machine from The Fly at the same time to see what comes out the other end.

What if it churns out a smallish dman with limited puck skills and skating, that shies away from big hits after having received a couple suspensions, but can grow a bad ass beard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad