News Article: Wooing

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
And it would drive me batty to be at an NHL game surrounded by WOOers. I love when a crowd gets into the excitement of the action, but random "Hey, everyone, listen to me!!" is ridiculous and irritating.

(Serious post #107)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It was just general silliness, primarily (as usual) for self-amusement.

Striiker, you wound me. I am certain that my serious posts are at least in the low hundred. I usually defer to the posters with more knowledge, greater insight, or bigger temper. Or all three.

Well I only have one of those three (temper) so I know it's certainly not me you're speaking of. Sure as **** don't have any knowledge or provide any insight. :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey, don't sell yourself short.

Yeah, you're right.

I do provide knowledge and insight.

I have knowledge of how to get on people's nerves in mere sentences and provide people with insight of what it's like to argue with someone who has little to no patience.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
latest

This guy gets it

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Personally I don't mind the woo if there's a good reason. It's like the opposite of the boo. People yelling "shoot" pisses me off 1000 times more. I usually just stick to clapping or booing myself. Is there a new type of wooing going on this season? I believe every large sport crowd does the woo.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
I get annoyed when we lose to the Rangers but the players seem to have no problem doing that so I say WOO! on, Flyers fans.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Personally I don't mind the woo if there's a good reason. It's like the opposite of the boo. People yelling "shoot" pisses me off 1000 times more. I usually just stick to clapping or booing myself. Is there a new type of wooing going on this season? I believe every large sport crowd does the woo.
I don't really mind the "shoot". At least that's fans getting involved in the game. "Woo" just feels out of place. It makes no sense and doesn't add anything to the atmosphere other than being annoying.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
I don't really mind the "shoot". At least that's fans getting involved in the game. "Woo" just feels out of place. It makes no sense and doesn't add anything to the atmosphere other than being annoying.

I hope you're not serious. I always thought it was to celebrate a goal, hit, or something positive for their team. Opposite of a boo. Yelling shoot at professional hockey players when they never even laced up skates is a joke. I'm pretty sure they don't need any fans help to figure out when to shoot.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I hope you're not serious. I always thought it was to celebrate a goal, hit, or something positive for their team. Opposite of a boo. Yelling shoot at professional hockey players when they never even laced up skates is a joke. I'm pretty sure they don't need any fans help to figure out when to shoot.
It'd be fine doing it once after a goal like the Bruins do, but they're doing it all the time without any connection to what's going on on the ice.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I thought it was weird how Jake searched up two tweets from random people about it & responded to them. The people didn't @ him so he must of searched for it. :laugh:

He searches himself often, and basically looks for and lets him get taken away by it. It happened the day the Flyers got eliminated from the playoffs engaging with people who clearly weren't being serious with some of the things they say about him. And he was way more pissed off about it than the people from which he sought.

This includes me. I made an off-handed joke to a couple people one day that wasn't truly serious because I'm not an idiot. Never tweeted at him or engaged him directly, either way, and never tagged him, or did anything else out of the ordinary, not offensive nor abusive, not like some of these cretins do on facebook. Just found out one day I was blocked. And I don't care, personally, people can do what they want with social media and popular athletes should be guarding themselves the way they see fit, and I'm not anybody important (although if my comment out of the thousands that came up truly bothered him, he should delete his account). But that IS something you'd think a 10-year old would do.

And these people who are wooing aren't doing anything disruptive nor abusive, if that's how they choose to have fun at a game, as a paying customer that should be respected. The players can choose to embrace it or not, or think it's stupid, then fine, but insinuate that they should stop doing it is wrong, imo. You mean to tell me that people in the crowd wooing is more disruptive than blaring dubstep the way they do now? There's a lot more truly inane stupidity that gets uttered during games that as a fan does drives me crazy.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
And these people who are wooing aren't doing anything disruptive nor abusive, if that's how they choose to have fun at a game, as a paying customer that should be respected. The players can choose to embrace it or not, or think it's stupid, then fine, but insinuate that they should stop doing it is wrong, imo. You mean to tell me that people in the crowd wooing is more disruptive than blaring dubstep the way they do now? There's a lot more truly inane stupidity that gets uttered during games that as a fan does drives me crazy.

I cannot disagree with all of this more. Again, it's not just the players, the vast majority of the crowd hates it as well. It 100% IS disruptive and abusive (in this case the more operative word is annoying). When a small percentage of paying customers are annoying the crap out of a majority of paying customers, something needs to be done. I am THRILLED to see Jakes comments.

The dubstep (which I'm not a fan of) happens in pregame and after goals. The woo'ing happens non-stop.

I'm beginning to think that the majority of people that are arguing for it haven't been to a game this year and don't even understand what is actually going on.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He searches himself often, and basically looks for and lets him get taken away by it. It happened the day the Flyers got eliminated from the playoffs engaging with people who clearly weren't being serious with some of the things they say about him. And he was way more pissed off about it than the people from which he sought.

This includes me. I made an off-handed joke to a couple people one day that wasn't truly serious because I'm not an idiot. Never tweeted at him or engaged him directly, either way, and never tagged him, or did anything else out of the ordinary, not offensive nor abusive, not like some of these cretins do on facebook. Just found out one day I was blocked. And I don't care, personally, people can do what they want with social media and popular athletes should be guarding themselves the way they see fit, and I'm not anybody important (although if my comment out of the thousands that came up truly bothered him, he should delete his account). But that IS something you'd think a 10-year old would do.

Yeah I really don't see the upside for athletes using Twitter, not a lot to be gained with a lot to lose. Jake's strange though in actively seeking out things that upset him.

I think he lost it on a guy from BSH for a sarcastic tweet last year too. He realized after it that the guy was joking & started back peddling.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I cannot disagree with all of this more. Again, it's not just the players, the vast majority of the crowd hates it as well. It 100% IS disruptive and abusive (in this case the more operative word is annoying). When a small percentage of paying customers are annoying the crap out of a majority of paying customers, something needs to be done. I am THRILLED to see Jakes comments.

The dubstep (which I'm not a fan of) happens in pregame and after goals. The woo'ing happens non-stop.

I'm beginning to think that the majority of people that are arguing for it haven't been to a game this year and don't even understand what is actually going on.

Annoying is a different level than abusive and disruptive. It can be annoying, they're still allowed to do it. Not a different principle than if a visiting fan was rooting loudly for their team, but being respectful. That's annoying. Eagles chants are annoying. Bronx cheers are annoying (most notably when they're undeserved).

And in full disclosure, I have not been to either have the last two games.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I really don't see the upside for athletes using Twitter, not a lot to be gained with a lot to lose. Jake's strange though in actively seeking out things that upset him.

I think he lost it on a guy from BSH for a sarcastic tweet last year too. He realized after it that the guy was joking & started back peddling.

BSH is credentialed as well, so there can be reciprocal effects to that.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Annoying is a different level than abusive and disruptive. It can be annoying, they're still allowed to do it. Not a different principle than if a visiting fan was rooting loudly for their team, but being respectful. That's annoying. Eagles chants are annoying. Bronx cheers are annoying (most notably when they're undeserved).

And in full disclosure, I have not been to either have the last two games.

It's 100% disruptive for the people who pay money to watch the game and not have a buffoon yelling "Woo" in his war every 5 seconds.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016

As an actual paying customer this could not be more incorrect.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Annoying is a different level than abusive and disruptive. It can be annoying, they're still allowed to do it....

Semantics. You're just splitting hairs here. If fan behavior is annoying to me, its disruptive to me.

(the next section is not directed at you GKJ)

and just because anyone is allowed to do it, doesn't mean anyone should do it. Have some damned consideration for the people around you, instead of the self-serving behaviors that seems to permeate in today's society, including the sports world.

Doing something just because you can, or just because you want to annoy other people to prove a point is utterly ridiculous.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
As a fan that has been going for many years, there has never ever, ever been anything even remotely close to the wooing as far as things that make my blood boil. I don't care about ill informed fans, people who yell shoot, really anything like that. The wooing is on another totally different separate level. I have never ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as I do the idiot in the next section over that kept answering the Woo's with his own. It needs to be shut down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad