News Article: Wooing

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I hope you're not serious. I always thought it was to celebrate a goal, hit, or something positive for their team. Opposite of a boo. Yelling shoot at professional hockey players when they never even laced up skates is a joke. I'm pretty sure they don't need any fans help to figure out when to shoot.

It happens literally every 3 to 5 seconds for the entire game. Hockey is action-packed, but not that action packed.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
As a fan that has been going for many years, there has never ever, ever been anything even remotely close to the wooing as far as things that make my blood boil. I don't care about ill informed fans, people who yell shoot, really anything like that. The wooing is on another totally different separate level. I have never ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as I do the idiot in the next section over that kept answering the Woo's with his own. It needs to be shut down.

:5: :nod:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am not going to wooorry. If they continue Voracek will continue to play in angry determined mode.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ric Flair is God. That's all I want to say.

If Ric Flair were running from section to section and seat to seat wooing, and thus responsible for the high-pitched cacophony of this sonic abomination, all would be forgiven. Unfortunately, I fear it is regular Joes with **** for brains and beer for blood making this particular racket.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's 100% disruptive for the people who pay money to watch the game and not have a buffoon yelling "Woo" in his war every 5 seconds.

Ok, what about if you're a Penguins fan and have to deal with everyone around you yelling at you, specifically.

As an actual paying customer this could not be more incorrect.

As a paying customer myself, it's not wrong, it's just a difference of expectation. Now, I agree that if there's people running around the building doing this, it's different.

Semantics. You're just splitting hairs here. If fan behavior is annoying to me, its disruptive to me.

(the next section is not directed at you GKJ)

and just because anyone is allowed to do it, doesn't mean anyone should do it. Have some damned consideration for the people around you, instead of the self-serving behaviors that seems to permeate in today's society, including the sports world.

Doing something just because you can, or just because you want to annoy other people to prove a point is utterly ridiculous.

How are people around you supposed to know what is and is not annoying? Eagles chants annoy me, but I get uppity that the people around me who do it.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
As a fan that has been going for many years, there has never ever, ever been anything even remotely close to the wooing as far as things that make my blood boil. I don't care about ill informed fans, people who yell shoot, really anything like that. The wooing is on another totally different separate level. I have never ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as I do the idiot in the next section over that kept answering the Woo's with his own. It needs to be shut down.

People who yell shoot are much worse, because they then get angry when the shot gets blocked

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
As a paying customer as well, I don't partake in the wooing, but I don't find anything wrong. Is it annoying? Yeah, but people are just trying to have a good time, and its better to woo instead of yell shoot , be abusive to opposing fans which I saw against NYR, or do nothing at all (Building has been too quiet over the years)

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
It happens literally every 3 to 5 seconds for the entire game. Hockey is action-packed, but not that action packed.

Hey I completely agree that it happens too much. I think part of it is Flyers fans always prided themself on being loud. Whenever you hear about the Spectrum they say "it was the loudest building". Even in the playoffs loudness is usually talked about at as a positive from announcers. If people don't woo what sound are they making?

Its not just the Flyers though. Woo is a constant at every sports game where the fans are trying to be loud. I understand the annoyance but if you feel like you're going to get violent because of it maybe you should not go to the game. When I go to a Flyers game I know what to expect and I hope for a playoff atmosphere.

I can't agree with anyone who thinks screaming shoot is better than woo.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Soccer games are way less action packed, or at least way louder and boisterous compared to the action that does happen.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Literally the only people having a good time with the wooing are 20 year olds with the maturity complex of 13 year olds. The noise in the building is the same as it is every single year in november. Guess what, it isn't going to be a loud building for a mid season game against Calgary or whoever. People who yell shoot are actually following the game so while annoying at least they have a point regardless if it is wrong. People who woo are not celebrating a play or doing it for any reason other than to be annoying. Seriously if people can't grasp that doing the same thing every 3 seconds regardless of what is going on isn't annoying then I guess our maturity levels are just different. It's no different than a toddler kicking your seat all game. It really isn't a hard concept to grasp how this is incredibly annoying to the vast majority of the building.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Literally the only people having a good time with the wooing are 20 year olds with the maturity complex of 13 year olds. The noise in the building is the same as it is every single year in november. Guess what, it isn't going to be a loud building for a mid season game against Calgary or whoever. People who yell shoot are actually following the game so while annoying at least they have a point regardless if it is wrong. People who woo are not celebrating a play or doing it for any reason other than to be annoying. Seriously if people can't grasp that doing the same thing every 3 seconds regardless of what is going on isn't annoying then I guess our maturity levels are just different. It's no different than a toddler kicking your seat all game. It really isn't a hard concept to grasp how this is incredibly annoying to the vast majority of the building.

Do you really think they woo just to annoy people? I mean come on. I've said its overdone and admittedly gets annoying but what do you expect at a sports game? The vast majority of the building woos man I'm sorry to tell you...maybe at a reasonable pace but they do it. When they celebrate a goal it's one big woo. Am I confusing what a woo is?

I've been to playoff atmosphere regular season games but it depends who they're playing. I just want to know what do you expect or want to hear at a sports game? What would a mature crowd do? Zero wooing? No noise at all? Strictly clueless people yelling shoot and other dumb stuff? I'm not agreeing with the constant wooers. Maybe I haven't had any major experiences with these type of wooers but for me it's been a constant loud mess at every flyers game I've been to...with a few loud jackasses but I'm mature enough to not let it get to me and enjoy the game.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Do you really think they woo just to annoy people? I mean come on. I've said its overdone and admittedly gets annoying but what do you expect at a sports game? The vast majority of the building woos man I'm sorry to tell you...maybe at a reasonable pace but they do it. When they celebrate a goal it's one big woo. Am I confusing what a woo is?

I've been to playoff atmosphere regular season games but it depends who they're playing. I just want to know what do you expect or want to hear at a sports game? What would a mature crowd do? Zero wooing? No noise at all? Strictly clueless people yelling shoot and other dumb stuff? I'm not agreeing with the constant wooers. Maybe I haven't had any major experiences with these type of wooers but for me it's been a constant loud mess at every flyers game I've been to...with a few loud jackasses but I'm mature enough to not let it get to me and enjoy the game.

No the vast majority does not woo. You clearly haven't been to a game if this is what you think. It's the same 50 people in the stadium. I expect to hear cheering for plays and chants directed at the team. Not random noise in my ear every 3 seconds. Weird how no other sporting event has this problem and weird how it's literally only 20 year old ****** bags doing the woos. Haven't seen one mature adult do it.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
As a paying customer as well, I don't partake in the wooing, but I don't find anything wrong. Is it annoying? Yeah, but people are just trying to have a good time (Flyotes: at the cost of others who have clearly say it is super annoying, from the fans to the players to the coach -- this is not ok), and its better to woo instead of yell shoot , be abusive to opposing fans which I saw against NYR, or do nothing at all (Building has been too quiet over the years)

See bold.

Yelling "shoot" can be annoying, but it at least follows the ebb and flow of the game and you get a nice ahhh! After a missed shot that follows it (eventually). It has a time point. It is also a large part of the stadium doing it from my experience.

The wooing is a smaller group. It is random, usually pointless. I can do without the sound of a thousand boy scouts before puberty.

I don't think your comparison holds.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
tumblr_msvbkuqX5t1qe8gkso1_250.gif

tumblr_m56jbykc4s1qa64cwo1_250.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's a difference between making noise to urge your team on or bash the competition, and making noise for the sake of being a special snowflake.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
There's a difference between making noise to urge your team on or bash the competition, and making noise for the sake of being a special snowflake.

Not trying to be mean, but you should see *some* of the self-absorbed cromags doing the wooing.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
No the vast majority does not woo. You clearly haven't been to a game if this is what you think. It's the same 50 people in the stadium. I expect to hear cheering for plays and chants directed at the team. Not random noise in my ear every 3 seconds. Weird how no other sporting event has this problem and weird how it's literally only 20 year old ****** bags doing the woos. Haven't seen one mature adult do it.

So the whole crowd doesn't woo for a goal? No other sporting event has woos? You can literally find wooing at every sporting event so I'm having trouble understanding. Ive seen plenty of ****** bags over 20 at flyers games too. Let's be honest a lot of them are old alcoholics who've been repping our city "well" for years. What's up with you and the maturity complex you have? A mature adult who grew up in this city should know what to expect at a flyers game and not get bent out of shape over some ******* it's common. Buy some ear plugs if it's that big of a deal.

From what I'm reading it seems like weren't talking about the same wooing though. I'm talking about the Flyers score a goal or land a big hit there's basically a gigantic woo and I have no problem with people wooing appropriately.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I think there's a misunderstanding here. It's not "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" It's more of a shrill, "WOO." I don't know if that makes a difference. It's not applauding a play, it's literally just shouting for the sake of making a noise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad