News Article: Wooing

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
Was happy to hear the woos drained out by boos whenever they were attempted yesterday

xxjimmypxx

Dec 9, 2009
New Jersey
Was happy to hear the woos drained out by boos whenever they were attempted yesterday

I sit next to a woman that yells at the people around her anytime they do something she doesn't enjoy. The people started wooing, she started to boo. The dude right behind her let out the loudest woo right in her ear, it was so damn funny.

They were pretty mild yesterday in the mezzanine though.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I sit next to a woman that yells at the people around her anytime they do something she doesn't enjoy. The people started wooing, she started to boo. The dude right behind her let out the loudest woo right in her ear, it was so damn funny.

... And this, my friends, is an example of why some people WOO; it is annoying to the Establishment... and they entertain their audience. :shakehead

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
When I was there for the home games against the Jets and the Lightning mid-November, there was definitely some wooing going on already, and I remember thinking it was a bit annoying. But I still didn't find it bad to the extent of wanting to ban it. I mean, it pissed me off, but I took the stance of "eh, what can you do?"

What was more annoying was one game where a guy sitting in the same row as me was clearly high, and he'd intermittently let out high-pitched woos and other team-encouraging sounds for a few minutes straight. He'd be quiet for a while and you started thinking it was over, but then out of a sudden you'd just hear his puberphonia kick in.

And at the home opener against the Ducks there was this Ducks fan that would yell "go Ducks!" and other Ducks-related crap all the time. Now, I don't really mind other teams' fans in the arena and them encouraging their team, but holy fu, this guy was just trying too hard to be cool in a sea of Flyers fans. I kind of wanted to let him know that after the game, not in a confrontational way, but then just let it go. I regret that now.

But yeah, those were both things that annoyed me more than the wooing, though it might have been different if someone in my vicinity was doing it. And ignorant remarks or comments showing a total lack of knowledge of hockey piss me off way more, too.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Wow that's SO funny

Side splitter

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
When I was there for the home games against the Jets and the Lightning mid-November, there was definitely some wooing going on already, and I remember thinking it was a bit annoying. But I still didn't find it bad to the extent of wanting to ban it. I mean, it pissed me off, but I took the stance of "eh, what can you do?"

What was more annoying was one game where a guy sitting in the same row as me was clearly high, and he'd intermittently let out high-pitched woos and other team-encouraging sounds for a few minutes straight. He'd be quiet for a while and you started thinking it was over, but then out of a sudden you'd just hear his puberphonia kick in.

And at the home opener against the Ducks there was this Ducks fan that would yell "go Ducks!" and other Ducks-related crap all the time. Now, I don't really mind other teams' fans in the arena and them encouraging their team, but holy fu, this guy was just trying too hard to be cool in a sea of Flyers fans. I kind of wanted to let him know that after the game, not in a confrontational way, but then just let it go. I regret that now.

But yeah, those were both things that annoyed me more than the wooing, though it might have been different if someone in my vicinity was doing it. And ignorant remarks or comments showing a total lack of knowledge of hockey piss me off way more, too.

There has been for years some... a very few... people who have occasionally given a Ric Flair WOO, almost always in the proper circumstance on an exceptional Play/Hit/Score etc. ... That has been fine and not annoying... at times it catches on with a copycat or two during that Game, but doesn't last long... That is not what I encountered during the Calgary Game last week and a couple subsequent games... that stirred the pot and got Jake and other Players?Coaches riled -- the Calgary Game was over the top and really annoying -- This recent rash of WOOs may well have started innocently with an honest and well placed WOO, and caught on like wildfire... The Calgary Game was a lopsided Game and was pretty much quiet after the sudden big lead... the Center was kinda quiet and individual Shouts were well heard... I guess one WOO was done and heard and enjoyed by the doer... repeated... re-repeated... liked by another Ric Flair Fan and copied... and then suddenly one WOO was responded to by another then another then another... with a giggles by the masses unwittingly encouraging them on... The quiet Center and the beer induced WOOs were very well heard -- and Konecny even WOOed after he scored that night... The Players had top have heard it easily... and the Crowd was too tame to make the WOOs inaudible, as it would be on normal Games... this was a Sunday Night Game with many casual attendees, I would say.

The WOOers were aware that they were the life of the party and were either entertaining or annoying the Crowd... and probably both... it spilled over to the corridors on the way out... to the escalators... and out to the parking lots and streets... a happy crowd WOOing their glee more than anything at that point.

I'd guess that the Players and Hak's displeasure being made known has quelled the fad... at least I hope it has... in any case, the Games you attended would not have been a good example of the incorrectly placed... and incessant WOOing that we had to put up with for a few Games.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I'd guess that the Players and Hak's displeasure being made known has quelled the fad... at least I hope it has... in any case, the Games you attended would not have been a good example of the incorrectly placed... and incessant WOOing that we had to put up with for a few Games.
Ah, OK, I haven't watched those games yet, either, so I might hear that on the broadcast then.

But I guess it's decided, death to all wooers.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Oh well, terrible telling of a bad story. But sitting next to this miserable person for 6 years, it got a real laugh out of me.

A 'you had to be there' moment, huh? :laugh:

... Please forgive the response... but all I personally got from the story was a drunken WOOer purposely yelling a high pitched loud noise in the ear of an annoyed older lady... and bunch of guys pointing and laughing at her.

I may have painted too much in my mental picture... If so, I apologize. :)

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I was indifferent to the woo until Saturday's game. Guy next to me popped off two after good plays in the first. Some guy in the next isle went to an usher and tried to get him removed from the game.
I'm now pro woo, 100%, but there does need to be "guidelines" towards its use.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I was indifferent to the woo until Saturday's game. Guy next to me popped off two after good plays in the first. Some guy in the next isle went to an usher and tried to get him removed from the game.

Insanity.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

People may have overreacted... it's a case of some idiots spoiling it for others; the Fans who did it to a point where they willingly annoyed others ruined it for the Fans who want to give a single WOO in a well placed moment, like a great play or a hard hit.

It is by no means proper in any case to request ejection from the Game... unless they are being disruptive or rude to other Fans... a simple request to tone it down a bit is sufficient.

That said... to have a counterculture movement to push WOOing down the throats of people on a constant basis is not the way to go. I agree with yoy that guidelines should be established... but it has to come naturally, as I see it... after a score -- while everybody is cheering anyway -- or when Gudas lays out a hard hit... or Jake makes a fantastic extended play... or G gives a toe-drag dispy-doddle around a D-Man. And it should be basically a one/two and done and not every three seconds until the WOOer gets bored.

To me it all comes down to plain common sense and respect for other fans... it should be easy to figure out. It is the jerks who want to annoy that will not fall in line. I think Jake and Hak stating their annoyance will only help the Fans to see it is annoying to the Players also.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Can we all agree the fans aren't as loud as they were lets say 4 years ago?
It's not just the fans though. The in-game music in the WFC must be the worst in the league. Also didn't the Flyers use to have an organist? You hear so many creative organists around the league, yet the only thing you get in the WFC is "Let's go Flyers".

The whole atmosphere is just bland now. There's not much to get the fans pumped up when the team's not playing well.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Can we all agree the fans aren't as loud as they were lets say 4 years ago?

It's not just the fans though. The in-game music in the WFC must be the worst in the league. Also didn't the Flyers use to have an organist? You hear so many creative organists around the league, yet the only thing you get in the WFC is "Let's go Flyers".

The whole atmosphere is just bland now. There's not much to get the fans pumped up when the team's not playing well.

I trace it to the demise of Godzilla... IIRC clapping during 'We will... we WILL ROCk you'.

Bring back Godzilla!!!! :rant:

Al kidding aside the Flyers have eliminated much of the Scoreboard videos that were I suppose deems corny and classless... except for the occasional Rocky/Adrian 'Win'... or the Coaches talk clips, they have eliminated all that rah rah stuff... and yes, there was a House Organist that was on hand for decades (forget his name... Paul something)... Could there be a correlation between this and the more quiet crowd that only seems to want to beg for Jumbotron time... where they act like fools and seem joyous even when the Flyers are being killed... Goodness, do I just hate that. :shakehead

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I trace it to the demise of Godzilla... IIRC clapping during 'We will... we WILL ROCk you'.

Bring back Godzilla!!!! :rant:

Al kidding aside the Flyers have eliminated much of the Scoreboard videos that were I suppose deems corny and classless... except for the occasional Rocky/Adrian 'Win'... or the Coaches talk clips, they have eliminated all that rah rah stuff... and yes, there was a House Organist that was on hand for decades (forget his name... Paul something)... Could there be a correlation between this and the more quiet crowd that only seems to want to beg for Jumbotron time... where they act like fools and seem joyous even when the Flyers are being killed... Goodness, do I just hate that. :shakehead

There are no words for how much that grates on me. And the people who do things just to get on there? Dead to me.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
There are no words for how much that grates on me. And the people who do things just to get on there? Dead to me.
Yeah, I agree, it's really stupid and I don't get the appeal of being on the Jumbotron unless it's being hooked up with a cute girl next to you via the kiss cam. But holy fuck, that arena guy the cameraman was trying to get to dance in the game against the Jets (or was it the Lightning?), killed it.

Eddie Shore Hockey

Sep 21, 2015
There has been for years some... a very few... people who have occasionally given a Ric Flair WOO, almost always in the proper circumstance on an exceptional Play/Hit/Score etc. ... That has been fine and not annoying... at times it catches on with a copycat or two during that Game, but doesn't last long... That is not what I encountered during the Calgary Game last week and a couple subsequent games... that stirred the pot and got Jake and other Players?Coaches riled -- the Calgary Game was over the top and really annoying -- This recent rash of WOOs may well have started innocently with an honest and well placed WOO, and caught on like wildfire... The Calgary Game was a lopsided Game and was pretty much quiet after the sudden big lead... the Center was kinda quiet and individual Shouts were well heard... I guess one WOO was done and heard and enjoyed by the doer... repeated... re-repeated... liked by another Ric Flair Fan and copied... and then suddenly one WOO was responded to by another then another then another... with a giggles by the masses unwittingly encouraging them on... The quiet Center and the beer induced WOOs were very well heard -- and Konecny even WOOed after he scored that night... The Players had top have heard it easily... and the Crowd was too tame to make the WOOs inaudible, as it would be on normal Games... this was a Sunday Night Game with many casual attendees, I would say.

The WOOers were aware that they were the life of the party and were either entertaining or annoying the Crowd... and probably both... it spilled over to the corridors on the way out... to the escalators... and out to the parking lots and streets... a happy crowd WOOing their glee more than anything at that point.

I haven't posted here in a while, but felt like I had to respond since I was at the Calgary game as well.

I've been going to Flyer games for 20 years and I have never felt so fervently irritated at a sporting event ever. It was ridiculous. Flyer/Philly fans get a bad rap for being partial to idiotic behavior (which, I'm sure most here know or at least believe is amplified only by past discretions - every fan base has their drunken idiots), but it was the very definition of people not caring or paying attention to the game, being a distraction, making it about themselves, and killing the vibe for anyone remotely interested in paying attention to the game.

It was such a departure from a passionate fan base. It was like Barclay center (but filled). I hope it goes away as soon as possible. Anyway, pseudo rant over. Let's Go Flyers, #crosbystillsuckseventhoughhe'sprettygood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad