Post-Game Talk: Woody doesn’t even last NNN

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Actually out east nobody realises there's a Western conference.

Seriously. The entire west is an afterthought. Not just hockey. Politics, culture, everything. For all anyone cares Canada ends at Ontario's western border.
Oh I know. I've travelled the country a fair bit. Upper and Lower Canada terms are more than ironic. The Conceptions still exist.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Sorry to spoil your Friday...

He didn’t get dumb overnight just tried to reinvent the wheel and it’s obviously not working based on what we see. So why not go back to man to man? This is where he has failed he let Vegas get in his head with the comments in the summer. Just needed to tighten up didn’t need to change the whole damn system and it will cost him his job and most likely cost us the season. Might also cost us MCDrai in the end but too early to panic on that.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Last night was probably the night to make a move to try and salvage the season as far as that goes. Now its definately going to be too late. Esp if they win one game, then lose three more. They need a new voice regardless if they want the players who have "quit" this team to come around.

Now if the managerial staff and Katz believe that McDrai is sulking and crying - maybe they are sticking it to them by not making a change this time, and just thinking the season is a writeoff anyway.
It may be that the decision has already been made after last nights game but they are letting the players stew one more game on the road and to minimize the disruption. Get home Saturday, put Woody out on Sunday, bring the new guy in for Mondays game. Who knows. Either way, what a shit show.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I just still can't get over that they had 1 defensive system under Woody. How is that possible? Good coaches are making in-game adjustments and for sure game to game. Hearing they just played one way all the time bottles the mind (like literally hits my head with a bottle). Reallllly makes me question this guys tactical chops.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I just still can't get over that they had 1 defensive system under Woody. How is that possible? Good coaches are making in-game adjustments and for sure game to game. Hearing they just played one way all the time bottles the mind (like literally hits my head with a bottle). Reallllly makes me question this guys tactical chops.
Woody is dutch. Wooden shoes, wooden head, wooden adapt.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
You could hear it Draisaitl's tone pretty clearly. The team has no confidence in their goalies and it has completely screwed with their heads.

Our roster isn't built to play boring structured hockey. Our best players (Draisaitl, McDavid, Kane, Nurse) thrive in emotionally charged physical games and they've completely lost their swagger.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Weirdest thing (not directly related to the Oilers org.) in all this to me is all the Canuck fans coming out of the woodwork to troll/hate post about the Oilers. Even scrolling on social media (IG, Facebook, twitter, etc.) it seems half the shit flinging posts have Nucks avatars. I never realized there was such an animosity from their fanbase, when, and I speak generally, most Oiler fans I've met give 0 shits about the Canucks. Some haters for sure, but a drop in the Ocean compared to the Calgary hate.
Yup. Bingo. I received three messages last night from acquaintances who have spent the past decade or so telling me they ‘don’t care about hockey anymore’. Suddenly they are back to being big fans of the Canucks, and absolutely delighted that the Oilers lost to the worst team in the league. Their chirping isn’t even clever. It’s lame stuff like ‘feeling salty?’ and ‘ooh karma is a bitch’. I could see it if I was the type of fan who was constantly going around bragging about how great the Oilers are, but I never do that (because frankly the Oilers haven’t been great since I was a child and I’m also well aware that this club permanently sewered their image in the eyes of some with the years of tanking for the draft picks).

I can take the trolling from Flames fans. It’s to be expected. But ffs if you are a ‘fan’ (fair weather or not) of the f***ing Vancouver Canucks? Yeesh. Have some dignity and keep your f***ing mouth shut.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Matty’s got that right. Jay didn’t get dumb overnight. He was already there by the time the post season ended last May.

I can see the Oilers PR team is hard at work trying to protect organizational jobs again. They’ve been pumping Schwartz’ tires for weeks and now they’re ramping it up for Woodcroft. Good luck with that. Fans can see the players have quit on this guy and there’s nothing you can do about the players no matter how hard you try to steer the blame in their direction.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You could hear it Draisaitl's tone pretty clearly. The team has no confidence in their goalies and it has completely screwed with their heads.

Our roster isn't built to play boring structured hockey. Our best players (Draisaitl, McDavid, Kane, Nurse) thrive in emotionally charged physical games and they've completely lost their swagger.

It's definitely a humbling lesson.

Even for top end scorers ... confidence matters and bad goaltending (or prevention of GA if you will) craters team confidence after it just keeps being bad.

Lots of blame to go around for that, but that is the net result.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Yup. Bingo. I received three messages last night from acquaintances who have spent the past decade or so telling me they ‘don’t care about hockey anymore’. Suddenly they are back to being big fans of the Canucks, and absolutely delighted that the Oilers lost to the worst team in the league. Their chirping isn’t even clever. It’s lame stuff like ‘feeling salty?’ and ‘ooh karma is a bitch’. I could see it if I was the type of fan who was constantly going around bragging about how great the Oilers are, but I never do that (because frankly the Oilers haven’t been great since I was a child and I’m also well aware that this club permanently sewered their image in the eyes of some with the years of tanking for the draft picks).

I can take the trolling from Flames fans. It’s to be expected. But ffs if you are a ‘fan’ (fair weather or not) of the f***ing Vancouver Canucks? Yeesh. Have some dignity and keep your f***ing mouth shut.

They have to distract themselves from paying $2500 for a one bedroom apartment in Vancouver. It's the only way they can vent.

George laraque for GM!

Why didn't we think of this before? Instead of getting someone to negotiate, let's just send someone to beat the shit out of other GM's until we get what we want. It's genius

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Weirdest thing (not directly related to the Oilers org.) in all this to me is all the Canuck fans coming out of the woodwork to troll/hate post about the Oilers. Even scrolling on social media (IG, Facebook, twitter, etc.) it seems half the shit flinging posts have Nucks avatars. I never realized there was such an animosity from their fanbase, when, and I speak generally, most Oiler fans I've met give 0 shits about the Canucks. Some haters for sure, but a drop in the Ocean compared to the Calgary hate.
it's just jealousy. They haven't won a single SC in their existence, while the Oilers have been the most successful Canadian team in the league during that time. Don't worry, they will fade back to obscurity when the Canucks current unsustainable run quiets down.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Actually out east nobody realises there's a Western conference.

Seriously. The entire west is an afterthought. Not just hockey. Politics, culture, everything. For all anyone cares Canada ends at Ontario's western border.
One million percent false. In NS we love Albertans. Next to us you’re second in love for donairs.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He didn’t get dumb overnight just tried to reinvent the wheel and it’s obviously not working based on what we see. So why not go back to man to man? This is where he has failed he let Vegas get in his head with the comments in the summer. Just needed to tighten up didn’t need to change the whole damn system and it will cost him his job and most likely cost us the season. Might also cost us MCDrai in the end but too early to panic on that.

I dont understand how no one in the media understands that Woodcroft had 2 players scoring close to 300 points and a historic powerplay that lead to Woody having his record. When 97/29 are not scoring at a ridiculous pace- this is the result. McDavid covers a lot of problems

Yay!!!!

Thank God - another audit!!!!
This team is famous for inaction. You have Vegas, who is almost clinical in their pursuit of winning. Don’t care about being nice- then there are the Oilers…In a cap world- that doesn’t win

Reactions: RegDunlop

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Nonsense.
The goalie doesnt determine how much effort a skater is going to put into back checking.
You are either motivated to do it or you're not motivated to do it.
Regardless of what system is implemented it is going to require a commitment to the system.
Now...some systems suit a team better than other systems and that may be whats happened here bit there is no excuse to quit on a play.
Bouchard and Draisaitl have been the poster boys for that so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad