Post-Game Talk: Woody doesn’t even last NNN

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
We wont win a cup with Bruce Boudreau, but we most certainly have the players to play his type of game.
It's interesting. He gets regular-season results with almost every team. As a one-year solution, followed by a factory reset in the summer? I'm sure there are worse candidates.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Why does this happen in the 2nd or 3rd year of every coach?
This team really does burn through coaches.
Almost every team burns through coaches.

Vegas won a cup in their 5th year in the league on their 3rd head coach.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
e968c8cca9eaf42549b94d0cbae94c85.jpg

Reactions: Duke74

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The terrible goaltending and the questionable defense is one thing, but why the f*** can't this team score?

It's completely insane.
Sometimes it’s a mental thing. With our current record, and knowing if we don’t score 5 or more a game that can take an impact on teams. It’s a complete dumpster fire right now.

I thought one good win would change things like against Calgary…. But…. Not so much.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Where was O'Reilly's "leadership" as the Leafs were floundering in the playoffs?

Dude did dick all, has no interest in winning, opted to go sign in a no pressure lifestyle market (Nashville). He won his Cup in St. Louis and is content with that.
Allow me to chime in here (please forgive me and delete this post if my thoughts aren't welcome):

Toronto's big stars care about their personal brand and bank account. They really don't care about winning a Stanley Cup in the traditional sense that much. They don't believe in sacrifice to the extent they need to and that's why they will never win. Nylander can elevate himself at times but Mumbles, AM and MM leave a lot to be desired (especially Marner.)

Remember the story how Wayne Gretzky walked by the victorious Isles locker room in 1983, expecting to find jubilation but instead finding broken, exhausted, sweaty, shriveled yet relieved husks of human beings? Toronto's guys aren't capable and/or aren't willing to go that far. That's not ROR's fault and you can't make a horse drink no matter how much you lead them to water.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Almost every team burns through coaches.

Vegas won a cup in their 5th year in the league on their 3rd head coach.
Not after 12-13 games.
Vegas was calculating in their approach. This team isnt.

If the rumors are true the Oilers are apparently on verge of firing a coach who had a +70% winning percentage last season based on 12-13 games this season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not after 12-13 games.

If the rumors are true the Oilers are apparently on verge of firing a coach who had a +70% winning percentage last season based on 12-13 games this season.

Vegas also was never 2-9-1 to start a season and on the verge of being out of the race before it’s even began.

Pittsburgh fired Mike Johnston 28 games into a season after he’d coached fewer than 110 games total as their head coach. Hired Mike Sullivan and then won back to back cups starting that very season.

The oilers are 8 points out of a playoff spot right now. You can recover from that. You can’t recover if you’re 20 points out in another month.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Vegas also was never 2-9-1 to start a season and on the verge of being out of the race before it’s even began.

Pittsburgh fired Mike Johnston 28 games into a season after he’d coached fewer than 110 games total as their head coach. Hired Mike Sullivan and then won back to back cups starting that very season.

The oilers are 8 points out of a playoff spot right now. You can recover from that. You can’t recover if you’re 20 points out in another month.
The Oilers are considering firing a coach because they have no other options.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not after 12-13 games.

No chance Vegas keeps a coach if they started 2-10.

Reactions: Leo360

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Woodcroft has had success but if you can’t correct runs like this you simply can’t stay.

No chance Vegas keeps a coach if they started 2-10.
As I mentioned to spawn...the main reason why this is being considered is because the team needs a shakeup and it really has no other options.
Holland has built an extremely flawed team that is maxed out in terms of the cap.
They're essentially screwed.

None of these things are issues that Vegas had to deal with primarily because they are a better run organization. They didnt have an incompetent fool like Bobby Burgers at the helm.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

I think we should waste a few more games just waiting to get Woody home to his family to cry before we fire him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
As I mentioned to spawn...the main reason why this is being considered is because the team needs a shakeup and it really has no other options.
Holland has built an extremely flawed team that is maxed out in terms of the cap.

None of these things are issues that Vegas had to deal with primarily because they are a better run organization. They didnt have an incompetent boob like Bobby Burgers at the helm..
The roster has flaws if you’re comparing it to the top top teams sure but this same core went 14-0-1 to finish last season. Even with some guys banged up this performance is inexcusable. I agree though sometimes a coach has to get fired just to wake the room up. Mcdavids injury didn’t do it. The win at the heritage classic didn’t do it. Unfortunately that might be what it takes.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

None of these things are issues that Vegas had to deal with primarily because they are a better run organization. They didnt have an incompetent boob like Bobby Burgers at the helm..
A flawed team that is still light years better than the Sharks roster yet they still lost. Holland deserves a bunch of criticism but Woody doesn’t have this team playing close to its potential.

Reactions: T-Funk

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The roster has flaws if you’re comparing it to the top top teams sure but this same core went 14-0-1 to finish last season. Even with some guys banged up this performance is inexcusable. I agree though sometimes a coach has to get fired just to wake the room up. Mcdavids injury didn’t do it. The win at the heritage classic didn’t do it. Unfortunately that might be what it takes.
The thing that I cant wrap my head around is knowing the situation why are some players like Draisaitl and Bouchard quitting on plays?
As a followup from a very successful turnaround triggered by Woodcroft (almost 80% winning percentage to close out the regular season) this team went on and on about this being a cup or bust year.
Then prime players then turn around and quit on defence multiple times in games.
That isnt on the coach. Now I am not saying that Woodcroft hasnt made mistakes but there is a difference between making mistakes and quitting.

A flawed team that is still light years better than the Sharks roster yet they still lost. Holland deserves a bunch of criticism but Woody doesn’t have this team playing close to its potential.
Are they?
Compare the roster after McDavid and Drai and they are not that different.

The Sharks even have better goaltending.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The thing that I cant wrap my head around is knowing the situation why are some players like Draisaitl and Bouchard quitting on plays?
As a followup from a very successful turnaround triggered by Woodcroft (almost 80% winning percentage to close out the regular season) this team went on and on about this being a cup or bust year.
Then prime players then turn around and quit on defence multiple times in games.
That isnt on the coach. Now I am not saying that Woodcroft hasnt made mistakes but there is a difference between making mistakes and quitting.

Are they?

That is a partially on woodcroft though because he doesn’t hold those guys accountable.

Are they?

The last time evander Kane played for the sharks he led them in goals and points. Yes we are on a different planet.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Are they?

Seriously? This team took the cup winners to 6 games last year and they lose Kostin + Yams and suddenly they are worse than the worst team in the league last year that’s now without EK? I don’t buy it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That is a partially on woodcroft though because he doesn’t hold those guys accountable.
Yes...that I completely agree with.

Both Bouchard and Draisaitl should have been benched....at the very least for a few shifts.

Seriously? This team took the cup winners to 6 games last year and they lose Kostin + Yams and suddenly they are worse than the worst team in the league last year that’s now without EK? I don’t buy it.
Well...how do you explain that the team you described is now tied with the worst team in the League.
Same coach.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
No accountability whatsoever.
Bouchard makes at least one lazy play a game, many leading to goals. Nothing.
Skinner starts shaky as hell and he just lets it play out.
Line changing on the back check or no back check at all.

No changes to the defensive system.
Whatever is happening, this team can't do a zone D. You think he would change it back to a semi-successful system. Nope.

Reactions: Leo360

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@TopShelfGloveSide
A couple of things stand out for me so far.
One that the team deosnt seem to have the stomach to go to the dirty areas of the ice.
Secondly (as I have mentioned already) important players are quitting in games.
Lastly...when that Canucks player had McDavid on the ice (while in the process of getting their ass kicked again) there should have been an explosion by the Oilers. Instead there was hardly a whimper.
None of that is on the coach.

It speaks to the lack of character in the room. The lack of fight in the dog.
Honestly...a team doesnt win shit with that indentity.

I keep waiting for this team to get mad. Thats what a team with character would do.
With this team (outside of Kane, Foegele and Gagner)...all we get is the continuous sound of crickets.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Whatever is happening, this team can't do a zone D. You think he would change it back to a semi-successful system. Nope.
Accountability only exists for guys coming up from the AHL

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree with this...there have been instances mutliple times in games where players should have been benched.
That being said...you have to ask yourself...why cant this team adjust to a system that many teams (like the Burins) are using? NHL teams change defensive systems all the time. NHL players know how to do this.
Its a cliche for sure but it isnt rocket science.
As I stated above the critical questions for me is why doesnt this team have more fight in them?
More drive to go to the dirty areas of the ice. More desire to come to the aid of their captain who is being held on the ice in the Canucks game. Shouldnt that and the fact that they were getting thier collective asses kicked have motivated them? Apparently not.

The evidence is building...this team is a great front runner. Great when things are wide open and easy.
This team is (by and large) a team full of wimps.
That includes the coach who doesnt have the balls to bench a player like Draisaitl or Bouchard when its completely justified.

Reactions: FunkyChicken

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I'm starting to think it is less and less the coach and more just the players themselves. This should be a bubble team at the very least. There is no physicality in games, and as guymez mentioned, they don't go to the dirty areas. They don't even bother to cover the slot, defense nor offense. The leaders have given up. And as I mentioned, I suspect they were purposely playing shitty the last few games.

Now, this team does need a coach with the balls to bench players that do this. So we have both problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad