Post-Game Talk: Woody doesn’t even last NNN

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
@TopShelfGloveSide
A couple of things stand out for me so far.
One that the team deosnt seem to have the stomach to go to the dirty areas of the ice.
Secondly (as I have mentioned already) important players are quitting in games.
Lastly...when that Canucks player had McDavid on the ice (while in the process of getting their ass kicked again) there should have been an explosion by the Oilers. Instead there was hardly a whimper.
None of that is on the coach.

It speaks to the lack of character in the room. The lack of fight in the dog.
Honestly...a team doesnt win shit with that indentity.

I keep waiting for this team to get mad. Thats what a team with character would do.
With this team (outside of Kane, Foegele and Gagner)...all we get is the continuous sound of crickets.
I’m not saying it’s all on the coach. The players need to have a nice long look in the mirror.

It’s been said 1000 times, but Woodcroft has held no one accountable on this team. Bad habits will continue to be bad habits and get worse if they aren’t corrected. “Oops you decided not to play defence and they scored? Get back out there!” “What we lost 5 in a row? 20 min light practise tomorrow”

There is an unearned almost arrogant culture going on in that locker room and I think Woody fuels the fire. Not showing up against lesser teams, only showing up for half the game, constantly starting slow… etc. All things that were issues last year the only difference is we were able to out score those issues. Those issues were masked but never corrected.

Accountability makes players disciplined. Disciplined hockey players win hockey games. I remember back in my army days when I was a young boot, I left my rifle unattended. The uppers found it and beasted the whole platoon for about 2 hours. Before you know it taking care of my rifle was 2nd nature. Obviously its not the exact same and I'm not saying run the team like a boot camp but you have to have a standard the team is held to. The players keep not going to the dirty areas, not trying, playing lazy defence because they aren't disciplined. Thats on the players but that’s also on the coach. You don't want to go to the dirty areas? Fine but they should know 30 minutes of grueling board battle drills are coming up next practise. You don't want to put in effort? Fine... you should have lots of energy for a bunch of skating drills next practise.

We got whooped 8-1 in the season opener and the coach barely raised an eyebrow. That set the tone for the year. Like I said this is on the players but just as much on the coach.

Reactions: belair

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’m not saying it’s all on the coach. The players need to have a nice long look in the mirror.

It’s been said 1000 times, but Woodcroft has held no one accountable on this team. Bad habits will continue to be bad habits and get worse if they aren’t corrected. “Oops you decided not to play defence and they scored? Get back out there!” “What we lost 5 in a row? 20 min light practise tomorrow”

There is an unearned almost arrogant culture going on in that locker room and I think Woody fuels the fire. Not showing up against lesser teams, only showing up for half the game, constantly starting slow… etc. All things that were issues last year the only difference is we were able to out score those issues. Those issues were masked but never corrected.

Accountability makes players disciplined. Disciplined hockey players win hockey games. I remember back in my army days when I was a young boot, I left my rifle unattended. The uppers found it and beasted the whole platoon for about 2 hours. Before you know it taking care of my rifle was 2nd nature. Obviously its not the exact same and I'm not saying run the team like a boot camp but you have to have a standard the team is held to. The players keep not going to the dirty areas, not trying, playing lazy defence because they aren't disciplined. Thats on the players but that’s also on the coach. You don't want to go to the dirty areas? Fine but they should know 30 minutes of grueling board battle drills are coming up next practise. You don't want to put in effort? Fine... you should have lots of energy for a bunch of skating drills next practise.

We got whooped 8-1 in the season opener and the coach barely raised an eyebrow. That set the tone for the year. Like I said this is on the players but just as much on the coach.
Bouchard and Nurse should both be watching games from the press box but because we're so tight to the cap and only have a 20 man roster there's no way to do that.

If this is Woody's last game he should just make Nurse and Bouchard sit on the bench most of the game, only rotating in when the other 4 D get tired.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Bouchard and Nurse should both be watching games from the press box but because we're so tight to the cap and only have a 20 man roster there's no way to do that.

If this is Woody's last game he should just make Nurse and Bouchard sit on the bench most of the game, only rotating in when the other 4 D get tired.
Gleason should have made it over some of these guys right out of camp.
Instead they were gifted their spots.

Reactions: MessierII

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Also have to mention that I wonder how well Dave Manson gets his points across when he has next to no vocal chords.

Who's pointing out the poor play execution in practices? Who's sitting down with Nurse or Bouchard or Broberg and verbally explaining how this player needs to approach that situation next time?

What routinely gets glossed over in all of this discussion about our team's coaching and execution is that other teams have plenty of game film showing them how to beat the Edmonton Oilers and their counter rush attack.

Historically the Oilers have been a poor 5v5 outscoring team and a powerhouse 5v4. They've also been a team that wilts when teams clog the neutral zone.

To get out of this slide, their breakouts need to improve exponentially. They need to stop cheating offensively and expecting their blind hope passes to the middle to pay dividends. Honest, hard working possession hockey is how we will outskill our competition.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Oilers are considering firing a coach because they have no other options.
There are 2 options right now IMO.

#1-Add a significant improvement in goal that can help us win games while everyone is down in the dumps and start to pick themselves up off the floor.

#2-Change the coaching staff and hope that as a result we get better performance out of our defensemen and team as a whole.

If #1 isn't happening, you go with #2 and do it very soon.

Reactions: guymez

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Also have to mention that I wonder how well Dave Manson gets his points across when he has next to no vocal chords.

Who's pointing out the poor play execution in practices? Who's sitting down with Nurse or Bouchard or Broberg and verbally explaining how this player needs to approach that situation next time?

What routinely gets glossed over in all of this discussion about our team's coaching and execution is that other teams have plenty of game film showing them how to beat the Edmonton Oilers and their counter rush attack.

Historically the Oilers have been a poor 5v5 outscoring team and a powerhouse 5v4. They've also been a team that wilts when teams clog the neutral zone.

To get out of this slide, their breakouts need to improve exponentially. They need to stop cheating offensively and expecting their blind hope passes to the middle to pay dividends. Honest, hard working possession hockey is how we will outskill our competition.
To be fair, Scotty Bowman did okay with just one eye. Although it seemed he tended to pick on different groups depending on which period it was.:D

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Sit them for a period. Sit Bouchard for a couple of PPs. Do shitty drills all practise and says it because of lack of effort. The culprits will know who they are and so will the team.

There are alternatives to the press box. Just do something.

Reactions: MessierII

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sit them for a period. Sit Bouchard for a couple of PPs. Do shitty drills all practise and says it because of lack of effort. The culprits will know who they are and so will the team.

There are alternatives to the press box. Just do something.
Press box is pretty drastic, and I don't think you need to be that drastic yet. Not to mention, we have precious few options anyhow due to our GM's cap mismanagement. Yes, start with a couple shifts. Players will sit up and pay attention when they see one of the big boys miss a couple twirls. Way too many guys making the same type of mistakes, game after game, and nothing changes.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree but how do you explain the lack of character? The complete lack of fight in this team?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I agree but how do you explain the lack of character? The complete lack of fight in this team?
Hard to say. It’s like they all lost their mojo. I think we desperately need a player like Perry or Benn who lead by example and start barking when players start putting their head down.

Reactions: guymez

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Press box is pretty drastic, and I don't think you need to be that drastic yet. Not to mention, we have precious few options anyhow due to our GM's cap mismanagement. Yes, start with a couple shifts. Players will sit up and pay attention when they see one of the big boys miss a couple twirls. Way too many guys making the same type of mistakes, game after game, and nothing changes.
Tampa bay benched their entire Stanley cup winning top line the other night for entire period. We can’t even have Bouchard miss a couple of shifts? Even Mcdavid after that turnover for a breakaway should have missed at least some shifts. You can’t just keep doing nothing and expect the team to come out of it. If that was going to happen it would have happened 5 games ago.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Tampa bay benched their entire Stanley cup winning top line the other night for entire period. We can’t even have Bouchard miss a couple of shifts? Even Mcdavid after that turnover for a breakaway should have missed at least some shifts. You can’t just keep doing nothing and expect the team to come out of it. If that was going to happen it would have happened 5 games ago.
Yup, unfortunately if you start doing it now, the players are going to really resent it because precedent has been set, and now it looks like you're just being desperate and mean.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad