Movies: Wonder Woman (2017)

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Gets a solid 9/10 from me. Easily the best superhero movie to this point imo.

Character development was on point. Thought they did a really good job with Diana adjusting to man's society. You stick any woman living in the place she did and i'm pretty sure that's how they would react.

Well placed humor too. The whole bit about Steve's um, little buddy and the joke about "where i am come from, that's called slavery" were so blunt and perfectly inserted. :laugh: And then the little things like how they slipped her "human" name into the story almost seemlessly

I really liked the way they handled Ares too. He's not the villian imo, he's the truth. The metaphorical equal of humanity looking at themselves in the mirror. Like he said, he didn't make the great powers go to war, he just gave them the vehicle to carry it out.

Really well written overall and i'm glad i went to see it in theater.

Only things that kind of bothered me were the musical score, as having a more rock inspired score seemed a tad out of place and while this likely matters little, Gal Gadot's accent took a bit of getting used to. Probably because i grew up with the Justice League cartoons and other stuff. She still killed it as WW so whatever, just a bit weird at first.

Sounds a little bit like this guy they call the devil nowadays and all that tempting stuff he does....

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched this last night and didn't like it. It was just too ridiculous. I understand that she's a superhero, but that already takes enough suspension of disbelief without too many other little things making it worse. For one, the good guys sure seemed to accept her abilities quickly and without question. In fact, Steve (I almost called him Kirk) even seemed to know the extent of her abilities, since he somehow knew that she couldn't leap to the top of the church tower from the ground unless she had a 4-foot-high step to launch from. Even she didn't see to really know the extent of her abilities, since she jumped that wide chasm earlier in the film and reacted with surprise, begging the question of why she risked it in the first place. Speaking of risks, that super plane suddenly appears at the end just so that pilot Steve can risk his own life and have his big moment. I'm not sure why the plane worried him so much to do what he did (since it wasn't established why the plane was such a threat) or why he couldn't just destroy it on the ground, except that it wasn't convenient to the plot and what happens next. Speaking of big moments, the fact that Diana suddenly appeared in the trenches just so that she could have her big moment seemed unestablished and contrived. Finally, seemingly every time that Diana transformed into Wonder Woman was preceded by dramatic slow motion, which seemed a little hokey. I recall a few others criticizing the moment that she left the trench, so I guess that I'm not alone. These are all little things, but, as I said, they add up and are unnecessarily silly when we're already trying to ignore the basic silliness that's inherent in the genre.

It's not a bad movie, but I was disappointed. I had hope that it would be like Captain America, which is one of the few recent superhero movies that I've liked. That felt pretty WWII-ish and didn't have too much silliness or CGI, to my recollection. I had hoped that Wonder Woman would be a WWI version of that and it ended up being a little too much like nearly every superhero movie for my taste. There was a chance for it to be something special, since Gadot's portrayal of Wonder Woman was incredible, but her character was let down by the writing and direction, IMO.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Why in the world would you go see Wonder Woman expecting a historically accurate World War I movie?

I definitely didn't go see it expecting an accurate World War I movie, but knowing quite a bit about the actual history of the war really ruined the movie for me. I thought Wonder Woman was handled very well and most of the movie was entertaining enough, but all the eye rolling I was doing really took me right out of the movie. If you're going to use real events and real people in your movie, having it be entirely fiction makes it tough to engross myself in the movie.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I definitely didn't go see it expecting an accurate World War I movie, but knowing quite a bit about the actual history of the war really ruined the movie for me. I thought Wonder Woman was handled very well and most of the movie was entertaining enough, but all the eye rolling I was doing really took me right out of the movie. If you're going to use real events and real people in your movie, having it be entirely fiction makes it tough to engross myself in the movie.

Yeah it's not realistic but what superhero movie ever has been? You were set up to fail from the start if you lack the ability to get into a movie based on real events and people not being accurate.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah it's not realistic but what superhero movie ever has been? You were set up to fail from the start if you lack the ability to get into a movie based on real events and people not being accurate.

"Lack the ability" :laugh:

Just because it is a superhero movie, it doesn't excuse it from being true to the spirit of the events that are depicted within the universe. I can easily watch a movie like Gladiator and forgive the historical inaccuracies because they are trying to capture the spirit of the events and stay as true as possible, while also trying to tell their story. I'm not asking for a documentary with perfect historical accuracy here, but they chose to set Wonder Woman during WWI but decided to completely disregard both the facts of the war and the spirit of the war. Why even bother calling it WWI and using real life people if you are going to make a total fantasy? The Entente as the white knight good guys, the Central Powers as the black knight evil guys, Erich Ludendorff as an evil comic book villain with genocidal ambitions, the depiction of how the lines were set up and the war was fought in 1918, the Americans/British leading the Entente from London, etc. aren't just a laughable depiction of WWI, they are in some cases insulting. I'm perfectly capable of accepting historical inaccuracies when it is done with tact and respect to the actual events, this movie wasn't even close.

As I said in my first post, I thought the character of Wonder Woman was handled wonderfully, but the overall setting, and because of that the main plot, was dreadful.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
30 mins and I'm already cringing at the Germans being genocidal maniacs. The hell movie.

This isn't what is taught in the American education system, is it?

Good superhero movie overall though, really enjoying it outside of the terrible, terrible, terrible inaccuracies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
30 mins and I'm already cringing at the Germans being genocidal maniacs. The hell movie.

Good superhero movie overall though, really enjoying it outside of the terrible, terrible, terrible inaccuracies.

It's definitely a comic stretch (as you might expect from a comic book movie), but I hope that you're not suggesting that the Germans being genocidal and gassing their enemies are historical inaccuracies. If you are, then I have to wonder what your education system is teaching ;).

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I mean, the Germans DID massacre entire towns filled with women, children, and civilians and they DID gas soldiers so I don't know what type of lame counter-history you were hoping to see but the Germans weren't exactly humanitarians out there.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It's definitely a comic stretch (as you might expect from a comic book movie), but I hope that you're not suggesting that the Germans being genocidal and gassing their enemies are historical inaccuracies. If you are, then I have to wonder what your education system is teaching ;).

Well, in WW1 they were certainly not genocidal maniacs.

And last I checked, the movie was set during WW1, not WW2.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, in WW1 they were certainly not genocidal maniacs.

And last I checked, the movie was set during WW1, not WW2.

I forgot that it was WWI and was thinking WWII, but the Germans still gassed their enemies in WWI. That's bad enough that I'm not sure why you'd defend them as "certainly not genocidal maniacs." Considering that they did deploy gas on the Western Front and that's the goal of them in the movie, what were the historical inaccuracies that you were referring to? If you just mean the characterization of the Germans, it's a comic book movie with comic book villains. Like Indiana Jones, it's not meant to be historically faithful or respectful.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I forgot that it was WWI and was thinking WWII, but the Germans still gassed their enemies in WWI. That's bad enough that I'm not sure why you'd defend them as "certainly not genocidal maniacs." Considering that they did deploy gas on the Western Front and that's the goal of them in the movie, what were the historical inaccuracies that you were referring to? If you just mean the characterization of the Germans, it's a comic book movie with comic book villains. Like Indiana Jones, it's not meant to be historically faithful or respectful.

Everyone used gas during the war.

And Ludendorf was most certainly not some maniac.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Everyone used gas during the war.

The Allies didn't use it until after the Germans did and after the Allies captured a German stockpile of it. Considering that the film covers the German testing and first use of it, I don't agree that the fact that everyone eventually used it makes it a historical inaccuracy.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The Allies didn't use it until after the Germans did and after the Allies captured a German stockpile of it. Considering that the film covers the German testing and first use of it, I don't agree that the fact that everyone eventually used makes it a historical inaccuracy.

The ol' they did it first argument, gotchya.

Two wrongs don't make a right, don't yah know.

Everyone used gas during the war. Yeah, someone used it first, but everyone used it.

Also, the movie is clearly set in 1918, by this time chemical warfare had been used countless times by all of the major players in the war. This movie tries to hammer home that the Germans are developing this weapon for the first time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The ol' they did it first argument, gotchya.

Two wrongs don't make a right, don't yah know.

Everyone used gas during the war. Yeah, someone used it first, but everyone used it.

Why are you interpreting my factual statement as an "argument" in a moral debate that only you seem keen on having? I brought up the Germans developing mustard gas and using it first in the war because that's the plot of the movie and it's relevant to your criticism of the Germans being portrayed as "genocidal."

Also, the movie is clearly set in 1918, by this time chemical warfare had been used countless times by all of the major players in the war. This movie tries to hammer home that the Germans are developing this weapon for the first time.

So, your big historical inaccuracy, the one that you took a swipe at the American education system over, is that the movie shows the Germans developing the weapon for the first time in 1918 when they really developed it for the first time in 1917?

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad