Movies: Wonder Woman (2017)

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Saw this last night and probably one of my top 5 superhero movies. I really want to watch it again. I love marvel movies for the most part but man could they take a lesson or five from this movie about comedic timing. Wonder Woman does it perfectly without ruining the moment like Marvel loves to. Also thought the villain was badass as **** but can't go into detail about it without spoiling obviously.

I would say the same for me. At least during the span of TDK till now. Though when I think back at pre TDK I don't think any of them are Top 5 material.

I really enjoyed her [spoil]Super Saiyan moment when Steve died. Was not expecting her to go berserk like that and loved it.[/spoil]

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I would say the same for me. At least during the span of TDK till now. Though when I think back at pre TDK I don't think any of them are Top 5 material.

I really enjoyed her [spoil]Super Saiyan moment when Steve died. Was not expecting her to go berserk like that and loved it.[/spoil]

[spoil] Yeah that was ****ing awesome. The movie actually felt like more of a war movie than a superhero movie. Side characters actually had depth and felt real and relevant. Comedy wasn't in the action really. I loved this movie. I was actually really pissed when she killed the supposed Ares character then was beyond happy when they revealed who Ares really was. Good theme. Good characters. Good plot. Good comedy. Great comedy. Really can't find any major complaints at all which is incredibly because I normally can't watch a DC movie without being skeptical of anything and everything due to the recent money I've wasted on their crap [/spoil]

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Saw this last night, really, really enjoyed it. Very strong movie - suffers from a fairly atypical hero movie issue (underdeveloped villains), but I'm really nitpicking at that point. Nice to see DC get one of their movies right for the first time since about the 80s.

Gal Gadot was perfect in the titular role, and the supporting cast was largely excellent as well, with particular emphasis on Chris Pine.

Wonder Woman easily slides into my Top 10 superhero movies of all time, and just inside the Top 5 as well. I'll definitely be buying this on Blu-Ray to re-watch.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Apparently some at Warner Bros wanted to cut the No Mans Land scene out of the film and the director had to fight to keep it

:facepalm:

EASILY the most iconic scene in the film.

If I was a share holder for WB Id demand those people be fired

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
DCEU finally has a movie that stuck the landing. ****ing fantastic movie.

Instead of being a superhero movie, it felt like a real movie that just happened to involve a superhero. Kind of like Rogue One was a real movie that happened to take place in the Star Wars universe.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
DCEU finally has a movie that stuck the landing. ****ing fantastic movie.

Instead of being a superhero movie, it felt like a real movie that just happened to involve a superhero. Kind of like Rogue One was a real movie that happened to take place in the Star Wars universe.

That's a great analogy, and I agree completely.

Also, +1 to the No Man's Land scene being absolutely epic. One of the biggest "stand up and cheer" moments I've had in a superhero movie. Can't believe that almost didn't make the cut!

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Just saw it in AVX 3D. It was really good. Off the top of my head I put it on par with Iron Man, X-Men FS and Captain America 2.

Pros:

Pine and Gadot were great. Gadot is absolutely stunning. Good script. Action was solid. The big reveal was great even though I probably should have seen it coming, based off the actor.

Cons:

Supporting characters were okay but not memorable. Dr. Poison and Ludendorff were very minor villains. Not enough time on Themyscira. CGI could have been a little better, though some of it could have been ruined by 3D.

Probably my biggest complaint with the movie, the overuse of slowmo. Like holy **** was that annoying.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I saw it yesterday with the parents. I had two complaints:

1. Some of the CGI at Paradise Island was off. To me, it kind of looked like some people were floating above the ground instead of walking on it.
2. The part right before Diana and Steve left felt like it dragged on to me. Could've sped that part up.

Minor nitpicks. I really enjoyed it.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The best DC movie I've seen in a long time.

I didn't have any faith that DC could accurately portray it's heroes after their last 3 movies. I'm very happy they proved me wrong.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I liked the movie. Up my alley though: Super hero, WWI, nice Jewish Girl...

But strange choice using Ludendorff as the villain and having Danny Huston play him. Especially because at that point of the war he had a nervous breakdown, told the Kaiser they needed an armistice posthaste and finally resigned. There's also the general knowledge that he participated in the Munich Putsch five years after the movie is set.

Karnage

Mar 9, 2004
My biggest issue with the film is that Steve Trevor is a spy that can sneak into enemy territory without being recognized but those same enemies can send agents with full knowledge of his name to London to kill him.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My biggest issue with the film is that Steve Trevor is a spy that can sneak into enemy territory without being recognized but those same enemies can send agents with full knowledge of his name to London to kill him.

Ludendorff was probably like "I know that guy from somewhere." And after he escaped and dropped the bomb he was like "Oh it's Steve Tevor! Thank God. That was driving me nuts."

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

LOL and then he sneaks back into their operation...fair point. Didn't bother me too much but that is a little silly.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Apparently some at Warner Bros wanted to cut the No Mans Land scene out of the film and the director had to fight to keep it

:facepalm:

EASILY the most iconic scene in the film.

If I was a share holder for WB Id demand those people be fired

Yeah, removing that would've cut out a lot of the heart and soul from this movie.

I finally watched it and it's every bit as good as it's been cracked up to be. Bravo DC for finally doing something right!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They're demigoddesses from Ancient Greece. Why should they advance technologically with the rest of humanity?

[spoil]Why would demigoddesses die from a single gunshot?[/spoil]

That just doesn't make sense to me.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Watched it earlier today. Wasn't a huge fan of it to be honest. Maybe its the superhero movie burnout. But I didn't see anything special or unique about this film than the usual stuff. Reminded me somewhat of the first captain America movie.

Better than suicide squad for sure, but I'd put it on par with BvS. Gadot is a really good casting choice tho but I feel it still suffered from Snyder influence. I did like the fact that they barely tied in other superheroes and gave WW her own movie.

Thought the villain was somewhat lame and I thought the fight scenes were similar to Man of Steel where they suffered from CGI and just bad all around effects.

Her scene of storming no mans land was excellent though. Would have been cool to see her move faster being a Demi-god and all. Similar to how fast they make superman in his movies

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Finally saw it this week, sometimes the plot was a bit weak but didnt ruin anything, still a great movie and highly enjoyable all around. Great to see DC finally get one right.

What stuck out to me was from the no-mans land scene, lead by the allies overran the German's fortified position then her crew went and liberated the town... yet only a few miles away the German's are still holding a big party at a castle with all their important generals with no real defensive line to protect them.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
After finally watching Wonder Woman, I'm now convinced that Chris Pine should've played Captain America. That dude is twice as more charming and charismatic than Chris Evans (and I actually like Evans, but Pine is the far superior actor). But I suppose Captain America isn't exactly known for those two qualities.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
After finally watching Wonder Woman, I'm now convinced that Chris Pine should've played Captain America. That dude is twice as more charming and charismatic than Chris Evans (and I actually like Evans, but Pine is the far superior actor). But I suppose Captain America isn't exactly known for those two qualities.

Evans looks better and brings the physicality. Pine has a pretty narrow range, he's good as a cocksure character but he'd struggle with Cap.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Completely disagree, that'd be like seeing this movie and saying that Gina Carano would've been a better Wonder Woman.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Gal Gadot...yo. Good movie, we went into it with low expectations and was very satisfied. Agreed that the no mans land scene was great.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
[spoil]Why would demigoddesses die from a single gunshot?[/spoil]

That just doesn't make sense to me.

[spoil]Amazonians are not technically demigoddesses. Wonder Woman is the only demigoddess. The rest of them are superhuman. And they may or may not be invulnerable to a single gunshot depending on the wishes of the writers. Their level of invulnerability have been fairly flexible in the comics. Obviously, in the DC universe, they are vulnerable to bullets.[/spoil]

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

He really isn't though. Stark is the charmer, Captain America is the straight laced boy scout. He's Troy Aikman's buzz cut to Stark's Joe Namath's long, free flowing locks.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
He really isn't though. Stark is the charmer, Captain America is the straight laced boy scout. He's Troy Aikman's buzz cut to Stark's Joe Namath's long, free flowing locks.

Was that a Simpsons reference? I believe you mean Johnny Unitas ("now there's a haircut you can set your watch to!")

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad