Post-Game Talk: Won it for Patty Quinn! Leafs beat Caps 6-2

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 1m1 minute ago
Alex Ovechkin came over to the #leafs dressing room to chat with Leo Komarov after the
game. He says "I didn't mean to hit him."

You saw Komarov coming, and you turned into him to hit him

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
In other news, Montreal just lost to Buffalo for the 2nd time in as many nights

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 1m1 minute ago
Alex Ovechkin came over to the #leafs dressing room to chat with Leo Komarov after the
game. He says "I didn't mean to hit him."

You saw Komarov coming, and you turned into him to hit him

exactly. shut the hell up alex.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You know what I notice?

When Bozak and Kadri are both on their games, we usually win.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Homer glasses off, the Ovie hit wasn't that awful. Looked like a hard nosed hockey play where Ovechkin pulled up on Gardiner and braced himself against Komarov. Not the cleanest or safest play but not particularly dirty.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Trade Gardiner, use money to sign Franson.

Not a bad idea, but I would only do it if we can get something half decent back for Gardiner (2nd round pick) and Franson is willing to sign at a reasonable price.

Considering how hard line his agent was in the negotiations before last season, I think he more likely just ends up going to the highest bidder in a massive overpayment.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
David Alter ‏@dalter 4m4 minutes ago
Komarov will have further evaluation following the quiet room procedures. Per Carlyle. Seems fine as of now #TMLtalk

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Jonas Siegel @jonasTSN1050
Carlyle says Komarov didn't feel well after Ovechkin hit and went for concussion test. Feeling better now and going through league protocol.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
David Alter ‏@dalter 4m4 minutes ago
Komarov will have further evaluation following the quiet room procedures. Per Carlyle. Seems fine as of now #TMLtalk

Komarov may have to sit for 7 days, as per League protocol???

Ovi should have to sit too!!!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is he going through the 7 day league protocol, or the regular protocol?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Game
It's easy to get tricked by the scoreline on this one, but I think we had a rather good effort up against a team that for the most part was awful, and didn't have a goalie who could bail them out. Nevertheless, there is a certain solid feeling to this team that certainly wasn't there last season, and hasn't been there with consistency until the humiliation suffered in the Preds game. Outside the first line, the team really plays like a unit giving each other support all over the ice. It's nice to see.

Great
Franson - After last year I wanted him gone, but you can't deny that he and Phaneuf does a very good job as a first pairing. Tonight was a very solid effort on both sides of the ice, topped off with another goal.
Bozak - I have to say that I've been out to lunch on my ratings on him. I've put him a bit lower because I've felt that while he has been very productive, Kessel has been the one driving the play for him. Then you realize that the two actually haven't been assisting each other very much, so I must have got that wrong. Tonight he could have had a hattrick, played well defensively (which he hasn't really done this season) and was one of our best forwards.

Good
Bernier - The Wilson goal was completely on him. It was very weak. But Bernier had a whole bunch of very good saves and a busy work load overall, so with an average effort from him this game would have way more close.
Phaneuf - A little quiet tonight, but solid. The kind of effort that doesn't really get him mentioned a lot on a play-by-play, but with solid plays that has a good effect on the ice.
Gardiner - Seemed to simplify his game, had the puck on his stick less than he's done usually. That's good though, that's how you break out of a slump. Was solid tonight, perhaps his best performance this year defensively. Held the blueline on a number of occasions really well, as well. Stood up to Ovi after the shot on Leo, which was suicidal but good on him.
Rielly - Was very noticeable in his ability to find the puck and move it up the ice. While Gardiner is simplifying, Rielly is finding confidence enough to take a bigger role. Both things are good for our team, both short term and long term.
JVR - Had a good night, drove the play a lot on that first unit with power and skill. He still cheats way too much on his defensive responsibilities, so I'll probably continue to hope that the first line gets split up eventually.
Kadri - I love his commitment to the two-way game. He's an improved player for sure, and it feels like his production is starting to come as well. Tailored off as the game went on, but Naz is certainly growing up.
Komarov - Is this guy ever not good? Just his defensive game, physicality and PK ability keeps him close to this grade on pretty much any night, and add to that good five on five play and it's no wonder why most grade him A+ so far this season.
Clarkson - Clarkson with confidence is fun. He's actually pretty good at protecting the puck, and when he has confidence he can do some nice moves. We already know he's got a good shot. I just wish he would not try to do fancy passes. Ever.

Average
Holzer - He was good last game, and he was almost matching that performance tonight as well. Big block on the SH, solid game mostly. Late in the game he was starting to make mistakes though, was out of position a few times and so on. With an average Gardiner performance defensively, that could have cost us. Still close to good though.
Robidas - Like Holzer he was close to a good grade, but also fell off a bit as the game went along. Still, he is definitely trending in the right direction. What on earth has happened to his shot though?
Kessel - It's not often you see Kessel being the least impactful player on the top line on a productive night, but that's how it was tonight. Had some good plays like he always does, and wasn't a liability defensively. I was annoyed at how he played scared early in the game, giving up a few icings that were completely unnecessary.
Santorelli - Always useful, always smart and doing the right things. Seemed to fight the puck a bit tonight. He's the only player that I've never had as below average in my ratings, since Komarov had a quiet night in one of the bad games from the early season.
Winnik - Like Santorelli he had a bit off an off night when things didn't go his way, but like Santorelli he is useful either way. Actually had a bad effort on one shift, and a giveaway (where he backchecked really well to make up for it). Not worth noting really, except that with Winnik it's such a rarity that it is notable.
Booth - Played a simple, safe game with plenty of hustle when given ice time. Eventually you want to see him do more, but I'm fine with his effort tonight.
Smith - He's a standout in terms of skill compared to the rest of the team right now, you can see he's basically an AHLer. His performance on the PK brings him to average though.
Lupul - Mr Saturday Night scores of course, and he showed a lot of hustle offensively a few times. The thing with Lupul as a Leaf going forward is whether or not he can make a commitment to his two-way game like Kadri has done, and so far this season he hasn't really done that. Had two bad giveaways in the defensive zone and a bunch of times when he made weak plays or was out of position.

Bad
Holland - I didn't really like Holland's game tonight. He was invisible for the most part offensively, and had a rather lackluster game defensively from what I saw. Still worried that his good stretch of games is not sustainable.

Awful
-

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Great overall performance despite the shot clock. I thought we generated far more quality scoring chances than the Caps tonight. When the roster is healthy, this lineup looks very balanced and dangerous on the attack.

The Habs losing to the Sabres again is just icing on the cake. :D

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Not to be a debbie downer but I doubt we get many games where the Leafs score 6 goals on 23 shots. They played well but they'll need to play better if they want a good record the up coming home stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad