Post-Game Talk: Woll/Devils 5 plus EN, Leafs 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
The team that will be taking on the Panthers and/or Bruins will include Marner, Rielly and Samsonov (and hopefully Edmundson instead of Brodie) so I'm not too worried

Even with those guys you should be. I don’t know how anyone can say they’re not knowing this teams history.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mishandling Woll.. should have had a longer conditioning stint to get into a rhythm

Team looks more interested in playing beer league than competing for the Cup

Woll shouldn’t be cast as the preferred playoff starter. He has not put in the reps in the NHL and there’s nothing wrong with not being a starter yet. Think about all the time Demko and Oettinger spent waiting in the wings, getting their NHL drip in spot duty before emerging. Woll’s missed a ton of development time since 2016. He shouldn’t be rushed and expectations should be dialled back.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hate to tell you this but he is this team's second best defenseman. Outside of some rotten puck luck today he's been very good recently.

He’s front and center on many catastrophic defensive breakdowns. He’s good like Jake Gardiner was good, minus the reliable offense.

Reactions: rumman

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
This game has little to do with Allen. So they win 7-6 instead, that doesn't really inspire much confidence going into the playoffs.
you also need a goalie to save some shots

this game should've been a 3-2 game going into the third

The goaltending from our end was abysmal, goaltending from their end was better, the defence was lost, the offence couldn't break through

if you put 25 shots in a period, better damn well score some goals, also need saves on 8 shots against.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Say what you will, but 3 goals still should be enough to win a game. In the playoffs, you need to win 3-2, 3-1 games. Need to be tidier in the D zone.

I think our forwards need to be better in the defensive zone. D can only do so much.

I remember Crosby's interview from spittin chicklets couple years ago he was saying how game has evolved; and how he mainly focuses on his skating and speed in the offseason. And how forwards especially center has to help out the D because every team now pinches so if fowards don't help out your D and goalie are toast

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
On the bright side Marner is going to start practicing, hopefully ready by the weekend.
ideally he's back for that florida game, it's going to be a good test to see how we stack up against them

buffalo and washington are teams that we should be able to beat without him, if the team decides to show up

Reactions: ACC1224

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Woll shouldn’t be cast as the preferred playoff starter. He has not put in the reps in the NHL and there’s nothing wrong with not being a starter yet. Think about all the time Demko and Oettinger spent waiting in the wings, getting their NHL drip in spot duty before emerging. Woll’s missed a ton of development time since 2016. He shouldn’t be rushed and expectations should be dialled back.

Agreed.

Some people here really want to anoint him as the new savior when it’s obvious he’s not ready yet. He’s got developing to do and can be a legit workhorse starter for us one day if he lives up to his potential but he’s not there yet.

Sammy has been great lately anyway and has actually won a round for us matching up against Vasilevskiy. No need to rush Woll rn.

Reactions: arso40 and ACC1224

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
He’s front and center on many catastrophic defensive breakdowns. He’s good like Jake Gardiner was good, minus the reliable offense.
He is this team's second best offensive defenseman, gets scored on less than our other defensemen and gives up less chances and every statistic out there backs this up. Like if you think Liljegren sucks you HAVE to hate literally every other defenseman on this team because they are statistically worse and make just as many if not more stupid mistakes.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
tbh we've had two different coaches and nothings changed, I'm pretty sure the team also collapsed going into the 2018-19 season with babcock too

at some point its the personal, and considering we have only 5 players over the course of that time.......
Effort wasn’t really in question with Babcock though. They were a young team that played hard, but with Babcock we legit did not have a valid defense core. Babcock was able to get the team to play hard every night. And the one thing I actually did like under Babcock was the power play. Two even units that moved the puck fast and used a bumper play

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
you also need a goalie to save some shots

this game should've been a 3-2 game going into the third

The goaltending from our end was abysmal, goaltending from their end was better, the defence was lost, the offence couldn't break through

if you put 25 shots in a period, better damn well score some goals, also need saves on 8 shots against.

Goaltending has to be better, also our team D as a whole needs to be better. The Devils were much more efficient tonight.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If this game doesn’t wake them up and make them realize how much they need to clean up their game, we’re screwed in 4 against anyone in the playoffs.

We better see a more locked in group the rest of the way if they are learning any of these lessons they keep talking about.

So Leafs get swept in 4 ala tampa against CBJ and then go on to win 2 cups in a row :naughty:

I mean one can hope right? :laugh:

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Post game "analysts" on SN590 Toronto radio letting Leafs off the hook for tonight, making every excuse for this s**t effort. And dissing fans who are peeved with the result. They aren't dropping $800 to bring their kid to this embarrassment.

Ah, well. We know who their corporate masters are, so they gotta spin the rah-rah narrative to stay employed. The way of the world now, I suppose...

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The dude had a 40 save performance against Carolina 2 days ago...

So what? We still lost the game. Samsonov has been better and more consistent. Woll isn’t ready. He looked awful in the two Boston games he was force fed and looked awful tonight. He’s a young goalie finding his footing but he does not deserve to be the starter night 1 of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad