Post-Game Talk: Woll/Devils 5 plus EN, Leafs 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
This is what I was saying. I think just not getting swept in the playoffs will be a moral victory for them this year.
LOOOL

we've regressed from losing in 7 to the eventual cup finalist being a sign of respect to them being happy with a five game slapping like last year

where tf has this team gone wrong

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So what? We still lost the game. Samsonov has been better and more consistent. Woll isn’t ready. He looked awful in the two Boston games he was force fed and looked awful tonight. He’s a young goalie finding his footing but he does not deserve to be the starter night 1 of the playoffs
Has he? he had one of the worst stretches a Leaf goalie has ever had.

The point is, things change, and there is still time to decide on a starter.

Reactions: arso40

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I just can't pretend to be disgusted by the team as a whole when they were so obviously better than the Devils and shit happens. But man, there are some guys on this roster who have no business being on a team with aspirations of winning
If they ARE better than the Devils, they bloody well better prove it in the next 2 games against them !!!

As of tonight, despite where the Devils are in the standings, the Devils are MUCH better at every position !!!

JMHO.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He is this team's second best offensive defenseman, gets scored on less than our other defensemen and gives up less chances and every statistic out there backs this up. Like if you think Liljegren sucks you HAVE to hate literally every other defenseman on this team because they are statistically worse and make just as many if not more stupid mistakes.

Well, I would say the bottom of the blueline is more properly slotted to play the kind of game you expect from a 4, 5, 6 so I generally have less problems with them.

Rielly, Liljegren and Brodie are mostly subpar in the 1, 2, 3 ish slot or however you want to slot them. I'm not sure why people have strong positive feelings about Liljegren, I think he's very plain but prone to catastrophic mistakes. If you look at Devon Toews or even Sam Girard for what a skating two way defenseman who can play on a PP is supposed to look like, Liljegren is not that.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This game has little to do with Allen. So they win 7-6 instead, that doesn't really inspire much confidence going into the playoffs going against better teams that can actually shut you down.

Few elements that are important in playoffs besides being heavy and physical that are missing from the Leafs' game IMO are:

- chip and chase (need it when center ice is clogged)

- working the puck up to the point, taking goalies' eyes away and let the point shot go in (Leafs never do it; when our D gets the puck up at the points they always look to either pass or put the puck in corners because our forwards are hardly in front of the net crowding the space)

- looking for rebounds/crashing the net doesn't exist for Leafs

- When in doubt -> OUT! Our d is always looking to make plays in the d-zone; the most annoying of them all are the backhand hailmary passes. Bieksa called it out finally on HNIC I think.

- Game awareness. Leafs still don't have much game awareness on what to do when you have the Lead specially and how to kill the clock

- Puck management of the Leafs under keefe hasn't improved much IMO. We still do stupid shit

- Cycling the puck in the o-zone. We can't cycle and we suck at breaking cycle when opposition has the puck in our zone; we chase the puck instead of keeping with the structure and forcing opposition to force passes/plays

I could list more but these are the prime things that I think is missing from our playoff arsenal

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Has he? he had one of the worst stretches a Leaf goalie has ever had.

The point is, things change.

Yeah and he’s rebounded and I believe has the best or one of the best numbers in the NHL since returning from his mental health stint. The fact that the organization didn’t even give him one of those Boston games is kinda wild to me. I’m not sure what they are doing with Woll. But if they are testing him against stronger competition he hasn’t really shown he is ready to carry the load this year.

That’s not to say he isn’t the goalie of the future but he’s been given a lot of the key games in this last stretch and hasn’t really shown much outside of the Carolina game.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Best case scenario for the Leafs is to take advantage of this dumb playoff format and go through the Metro division

WC1 has a much easier path to the Cup than third in the Atlantic

Give me NYR/Carolina/Washington instead of Florida/Boston/Tampa every day

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Keep making excuses.

790, not even 800, 790

Excuses. lol

They play a game like that tonight, and all you can say all night is goaltending?

I’m sure you blamed the empty net on goaltending too.

I’m not saying Woll was great, or even good… just that either this is a game that you only looked at the box score, or you actually have no idea what’s going on.

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Best case scenario for the Leafs is to take advantage of this dumb playoff format and go through the Metro division

WC1 might get the winner of the Atlantic. New York is ahead of Florida and Boston at the moment.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
WC1 might get the winner of the Atlantic. New York is ahead of Florida and Boston at the moment.

Even if it does, it makes no difference. It would have the same result as third in the Atlantic. It's not like they're a big difference between 1 and 2 in the Atlantic. They flip every week.

At least with WC1 you have the chance of going through the Metro. Worst case scenario you play basically the same team you would have played in Atlantic 3.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Relying on a Mark Hunter drafted player never works out. What a disasterous tenure by him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Pretty sure the way Toronto is playing now, they will get smoked by the Rangers and Hurricanes and you will have a brand new trauma. The problem is not the opposition. It’s the Leafs. They are a deeply unserious team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad