PGT: WJC Semi Finals: Game 27 | US Advances Over Russia 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
What about D

Somebody did say quinn hughes didn't play in the final 6 minutes which was completely false
He played from the 6 minute mark down to 4:50
and another shift from 2:50 down to 2

But yes if the game is on the line Samberg and Anderson are usually out there, in the final minutes even though Q-Hughes is averaging the most ice time among any players along with anderson.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Okay, you're clearly misunderstanding my post. I'm not saying the Americans aren't pumping out great talent, I'm saying this tournament isn't a great indicator for future success. For a lot of players in this tournament this will be the Pinnacle of their Hockey careers.

I see your point there. Knowing that many of these American kids won't be successful in the NHL is your consolation prize. Goes well with that brown participation ribbon Canada received.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Congratulations to the USA for what I thought was a dominant performance. If you didn't watch it, dominant might sound too strong for a 2-1 game, but only some great goaltending from Kotchetkov kept the score close. The Americans were superior in every facet of hockey. The most glaring difference was in skating speed, but they were also superior in stickhandling, and passing. Their shooting wasn't special, which may explain why Kotchetkov kept his team within striking distance. They were clearly hungrier and more motivated, which, when combined with their speed, might explain why they won the race to every loose puck and outnumbered the Russians around the puck all day. After looking disinterested and dispassionate in the first two periods, Russia tried to pour on the pressure in the 3rd, but the American smothered them on the perimeter and barely gave them a sniff of the goal. I'll never understand how it could be that kids from tropical beach cities in Florida and California, where a snow flake has never flown, can have superior hockey skills to kids from Siberia, but I guess that is what we have.

What was really stunning for me was how badly the Russians were outcoached. The Americans have been using the same forecheck and collapsing defensive schemes throughout the tournament, but Russia used no special tactics or strategies to counteract the American schemes. Instead of organizing a methodical attack, the Russian kids just tried stickhandling solos up the ice to see how far they could go before the Americans stripped the puck away from them. The kids have great skills, but they had no way to use them productively to get the job done. There was no road or avenue leading to success, which is what coaches are supposed to provide. It just seemed like the kids didn't know what to do, which is again the fault of the coaching staff.

Reactions: Rgani1488

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Okay, you're clearly misunderstanding my post. I'm not saying the Americans aren't pumping out great talent, I'm saying this tournament isn't a great indicator for future success. For a lot of players in this tournament this will be the Pinnacle of their Hockey careers.

It was when Canada was winning all the golds. funny how all of the sudden it's doesn't mean as much anymore. I guess the Ivan Hlinka is the true indicator for future success now.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Just finished watching on DVR and that was a long, nerve-wracking ending to the game. From the late second the Russians really controlled things and I was expecting a goal from them any minute the entire time.

I’ve watched US teams in junior tournaments for a long time now and no opponent provides the same fear factor as the Russians. They can break things open at any moment. I think most fans would hope their team could create that kind of unease in opponents. All kinds of credit for what they can bring.

That said, it’s great to see this US team come together and pull out the win. The best part of this game for me was seeing Primeau step up and have a big game as the goaltending position has been a question throughout the tournament. I also thought Cockerill played a great game after looking out of place the whole tournament - good for him. Excited for the game tomorrow.

It's funny. I was just starting to think our boys had it in the bag for one shift right before the Russians scored. Then Denisenko makes something out of nothing and suddenly it was butt clenching time the rest of the way.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Love Matty but he's got to prove he can stay healthy for one dominant season before I can put him up there with McDavid, Kuch, Mack, Sid.
Mac was pretty poor sophomore season. Does that mean he is just meh now? You are weird.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
It was when Canada was winning all the golds. funny how all of the sudden it's doesn't mean as much anymore. I guess the Ivan Hlinka is the true indicator for future success now.

Canada has won 7 of the last 15 World Junior Tournaments. And won 2 of the last 4 years heading into this one.

Their largest lull in that time period didn't seem to hurt them when the 2014 Olympics came around.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
i played many games. never hockey.

so what ... the guy has the right to punch you if you play the puck after the horn ? ... and so he would also have the right to come and kick the ass of whom punched him ?

Adding action after the whistle/horn/whatever ... is not welcome in any sport. It doesn't allow you to react alike ! (or it shouldn't !! )

It’s called looking out for your goalie. Why do you think you never see anyone shoot the puck after the horn? He got what he deserved, a shot to the chest.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I see your point there. Knowing that many of these American kids won't be successful in the NHL is your consolation prize. Goes well with that brown participation ribbon Canada received.

Canada has literally won this tournament 7 of the last 15 years, I'm sure Canadian fans will be able to survive this one. I'm tuning in more so to scout than anything. More draft eliigible players at the tournament this year than previous years it seems.

No need to get salty about facts.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

You're significantly better off looking at how young NHL players are performing, than tis Tournament. As far as that goes USA is still not at the level of some others.
The US does still make up 26% of NHL players. Second to only Canada.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Congratulations to the USA for what I thought was a dominant performance. If you didn't watch it, dominant might sound too strong for a 2-1 game, but only some great goaltending from Kotchetkov kept the score close. The Americans were superior in every facet of hockey. The most glaring difference was in skating speed, but they were also superior in stickhandling, and passing. Their shooting wasn't special, which may explain why Kotchetkov kept his team within striking distance. They were clearly hungrier and more motivated, which, when combined with their speed, might explain why they won the race to every loose puck and outnumbered the Russians around the puck all day. After looking disinterested and dispassionate in the first two periods, Russia tried to pour on the pressure in the 3rd, but the American smothered them on the perimeter and barely gave them a sniff of the goal. I'll never understand how it could be that kids from tropical beach cities in Florida and California, where a snow flake has never flown, can have superior hockey skills to kids from Siberia, but I guess that is what we have.

What was really stunning for me was how badly the Russians were outcoached. The Americans have been using the same forecheck and collapsing defensive schemes throughout the tournament, but Russia used no special tactics or strategies to counteract the American schemes. Instead of organizing a methodical attack, the Russian kids just tried stickhandling solos up the ice to see how far they could go before the Americans stripped the puck away from them. The kids have great skills, but they had no way to use them productively to get the job done. There was no road or avenue leading to success, which is what coaches are supposed to provide. It just seemed like the kids didn't know what to do, which is again the fault of the coaching staff.

I think you're exaggerating quite a bit. In terms of skating speed not always, Slepets was I think faster than any US player out there. I would say that was player and situation-dependent. In terms of passing and puck control, I would have to agree, especially when facing faster teams the boys start making blunders. Also I was unhappy with the amount of giveaways and steals in our own zone. In terms of races to loose pucks, Russia won many of them in this game, I disagree here. As regards coaching, I think Bragin is a good motivator, but yes, he should've given them more ideas of how they can get through that tight defense. Maybe he did, but the boys weren't quite "playing straight" anymore as time was ticking down. Overall, the US seemed to look more comfortable on the ice and I had the impression they had more of a "gameplan", but I wouldn't say they were dominant. The game had its momentum shifts and Russia almost scored on several occasions where they had Team US pressed in their own zone.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Canada has literally won this tournament 7 of the last 15 years, I'm sure Canadian fans will be able to survive this one. I'm tuning in more so to scout than anything. More draft eliigible players at the tournament this year than previous years it seems.

No need to get salty about facts.

Canada's overall number of players in the NHL keeps declining while the USA's rises, Canada's and USA's trajectory in hockey have been going in the opposite direction for a while now and the trend isn't slowing. Just the facts no salt added.

Reactions: wahsnairb

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Mac was pretty poor sophomore season. Does that mean he is just meh now? You are weird.

I genuinely don't even understand the point you're trying to make. What does Nathan Mackinnon's sophomore Season have to do with what he's doing in the NHL currently? Prior to exploding last Season Nate was a 50-60 point player who had a few underwhelming Seasons in a row, but clearly had the potential to do much more.

Last Season he reached that potential and this Season he's taking it to another level again. Not every player develops the same. Really dumb post.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The players that end up playing in the NHL are usually the same number for both Canada and USA regardless whether they win gold, or get kicked out in the quarters. From 2012-2016 WJC, Canada has on average 15-16 players that make it to the NHL, USA is at 12-13 players that make the NHL.

Finland won the WJC in 2016, that doesn't mean a lot in terms of future success at the men's level. The draft is your best bet to determine future success IMO.

Canada's overall number of players in the NHL keeps declining while the USA's rises, Canada's and USA's trajectory in hockey have been going in the opposite direction for a while now and the trend isn't slowing. Just the facts no salt added.
USA has the potential to be the #1 country in registered hockey players as well as the best hockey nation. I don't know if the trajectory will continue going at the pace it is at because I just can't imagine hockey ever becoming #4 ahead of baseball, football, basketball, and soccer. As a Canadian, if USA Hockey started to get athletes like Russell Westbrook to play hockey that would be really scary. But, I'm not sure we'll ever see that or at least not very often.

I think it would take a significant culture change to get beast of an athlete from California to play hockey. I'm sure there will always be guys like St. Ivany from California.

Last edited:

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
The US does still make up 26% of NHL players. Second to only Canada.

That's fair, but when you look at the top players in each position in the league, the U.S isn't there yet. Half of the top 10 scorers in the league right now are Canadian. The U.S still lacks that McDavid/Kucherov level talent that other countries have.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Part of this has to do with how expensive hockey is. A lot of Canadian kids are choosing other sports as well. Now you see more and more great basketball and baseball players out of Canada. Of course the other European Nations would represent the Nhl better if they didn't choose to stay close to home and play in Russia's KHL. Or the other major hockey leagues.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's fair, but when you look at the top players in each position in the league, the U.S isn't there yet. Half of the top 10 scorers in the league right now are Canadian. The U.S still lacks that McDavid/Kucherov level talent that other countries have.

USA are great at filling the bottom 6 forwards and 5 and 6 D's of the league

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I genuinely don't even understand the point you're trying to make. What does Nathan Mackinnon's sophomore Season have to do with what he's doing in the NHL currently? Prior to exploding last Season Nate was a 50-60 point player who had a few underwhelming Seasons in a row, but clearly had the potential to do much more.

Last Season he reached that potential and this Season he's taking it to another level again. Not every player develops the same. Really dumb post.
You listed him as elite Canadian talent and I was just using your reasoning for Mathews on him. So he has had one partial year....like Matthews....but Matthews is just OK. I am using your very own reasoning. Not my fault you cannot follow your own thinking. I hear a low salt diet cures that.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

As I said in my previous post, Canada currently boasts half of the top 10 scorers in the league, with the oldest of the bunch being 24 years old. 4/5 of the top scoring D-men in the league are also Canadian. As long as they keep producing more high level talent than any other country, they'll be just fine.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com

Matthews
Eichel
Hughes
And only Canada comes close at center. Wingers is even and the USA has superior Defense and goaltending.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The best U.S. athletes aren't playing hockey.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
You listed him as elite Canadian talent and I was just using your reasoning for Mathews on him. So he has had one partial year....like Matthews....but Matthews is just OK. I am using your very own reasoning. Not my fault you cannot follow your own thinking. I hear a low salt diet cures that.

I'm genuinely not following your narrative here. I'm listing Nathan MacKinnon as an elite level talent because he produced 97 points last Season, and is on pace to score 120 points this Season. If I had been labeling MacKinnon as one of the top players in the gaming coming off of his mediocre sophomore Season, you may have a point but as it stands I'm genuinely scratching my head here.

You can also feel free to post where I labelled as "Just an ok" player. I'm anxiously awaiting your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad