WJC: WJC players who have disappointed you

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Definitely Brett Connolly. I thought he would really step-up and lead Canada in scoring. I was wrong...

Dylan Olsen has been terrible (BTW, someone tell Cameron that), but I didn't have much expectations from him.

BlackAces*

Larsson has to come 1st.. then I wasn't impressed by Couturier, alot disappointed by Olsen and Roy, I expected more from Brett Connolly too.

Agreed, Larsson has been terrible, and I haven't seen anything special out of Couturier.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
what did everyone expect of larsson? constant end to end rushes? hes been pretty rock solid and controls the flow of the game in alot of instances and he makes good passes

sometimes you have to read beyond the stat sheet a bit

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Sammy Vatanen.

Granted, my expectations for him were very high, as they should be, honestly

BlackAces*

what did everyone expect of larsson? constant end to end rushes? hes been pretty rock solid and controls the flow of the game in alot of instances and he makes good passes

sometimes you have to read beyond the stat sheet a bit

He looks slow, weak, makes bad decisions with the puck, not dynamic in any way, and looks overwhelmed.

I expected the "next Lidstrom" to play better than that.

mooseOAK*

^ yeah, I dont think Couturier has been bad. If you're disappointed with Couturier I think you probably set the bar too high for an undrafted player. He's looked good out there, if mediocre, but he has mostly fit in. He looks a bit slower than some of the other Canadians but as someone said, he will develop like other big NHLers did. If he can get a step two faster, he will be lights-out good with that big frame, puck protection and vision.

Skating and size improvement would help more if Couturier actually tried to skate hard or use his body, both of which I have seen little of.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
He's screwed because he is on the line with
palmieri, who can make like one good pass per a game. Put him next to some real playmaker and you'll see. In the last game he played on different lines and he was the best player on the ice, better than Bourque who was awarded POTG.

He did look good against the Swiss. Here's hoping Allain puts his with forwards that compliment his style abilities in the semi's.

Baldo Ronaldo

Jan 2, 2009
I hate to say it; but, what about Gudbranson?

In fairness, I think he has been skunked for ice time by Cameron for some reason. But, given Olsen's play, I expected Gudbranson to step up and assume that top pairing with Ellis. He simply has not done that.

He's a guy that made the NHL this year and he can't play on the top line in a relatively anti-climactical WJC? If I was a Florida (or Kingston) fan, I would be wondering what's up with him. He should be able to own this kind of tourney (like Luc Bourdon did in 2007).

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Give me a break on the Morin mentions --the guy should not even be playing right now with his shoulder injury!

Vatanen has a lot of hype to live up to!

Lots of tournament left, so I'm reserving judgment for now.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
ignoring canada, who i probably hold to a higher standard, the most disappointing player to me has been kuznetsov for russia. Against most of these same players, he's had success over the years in various junior tourneys, but he has been bad this year. BAD!

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Why's that? I think he's been very good; good playmaking, some great passes. Of course he looks small and a little bit timid, but that was well known before the tournament.
Not physical, keeps the puck usually way too long and his shot has been far from accurate. Just in general have had a bad taste of his play on my mouth.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Connolly, Roy, Olsen

Just for Canada

I don't think Connolly has played enough to be disappointed in him.

The other two...yes. Especially Olsen. He looks like a beer-leaguer out there, and doesn't seem to care.

Mcguire keep saying he is hurt. He better be. If he plays like that when he is healthy, he'll never see NHL ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad