WJC: WJC players who have disappointed you

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Roy. Big time. I remember watching him a few years ago in Cape Breton and he seemed like another Fleury, Houle, Pavelec but watching him in Buffalo makes me think that a lot of Oilers fans are going to be disappointed in the not too distant future.

Couturier is another guy. He is expected to go in the top three in this year's draft? The last two QMJHL forwards that went in the top three were Sidney Crosby and Vincent Lecavalier. He doesn't have a 1/10th of the talent that those two guys showed in the Q. 2011 must be an awful draft year.

I agree, Couturier reminds me of Greg Nemisz out there. This guy is no #1 in the last several draft years.

Regarding Larsson, I didn't expect him to be amazing out there. He plays on the same team as Erixon in the SEL, and gets less ice time. So coming in you already know he's not the best defenseman on Team Sweden.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I watched el nino dominate games last year, and he played a huge part in upsetting Russia last year.

He doesn't look like the same player this year. Infact, he didnt even look like their best forward against the US... far from it.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
I watched el nino dominate games last year, and he played a huge part in upsetting Russia last year.

He doesn't look like the same player this year. Infact, he didnt even look like their best forward against the US... far from it.

I called this before the tournament started. I had no solid reason to believe it, but it's just a hunch I had.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
For Finland: Toni Rajala

Why's that? I think he's been very good; good playmaking, some great passes. Of course he looks small and a little bit timid, but that was well known before the tournament.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

It was same against finland. disappointments have been nino, couturier, adam larsson, armia. In the other hand suprises have been salomaki, jokipakka, cehlin, donskoi, Tarasenko( i knew he was good but didn't know hes dominating like he is atm). All the 2011 draft top prospect have disappointed me so far but now is their time to step up. Salomäki a 2011 draftee have been much better than armia who was considered as top 10 pick. If armia had some luck he would have about 4goals now.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Why's that? I think he's been very good; good playmaking, some great passes. Of course he looks small and a little bit timid, but that was well known before the tournament.

Actualy he haven't been that good hes making stupid decisions with the puck all the time and holds to puck too much. He gives couple good passes in a game but his overall game isn't very good.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Actualy he haven't been that good hes making stupid decisions with the puck all the time and holds to puck too much. He gives couple good passes in a game but his overall game isn't very good.

Oh... I have to disagree with you on this one then. I wasn't very happy with his game against the USA but otherwise I think he's been very good. Maybe he disappears again against a tougher opponent in Russia but we'll see tonight...

Cermi

Mar 6, 2008
He hasn't been bad, but after seeing how good he was last year, and in a game he played against B.U. this year, I thought he'd be one of the more dominant players in the tournament.

He's screwed because he is on the line with
palmieri, who can make like one good pass per a game. Put him next to some real playmaker and you'll see. In the last game he played on different lines and he was the best player on the ice, better than Bourque who was awarded POTG.

Pitlick*

Brett Connolly for sure.

He sure looks invisible for a guy picked so early last year. Skinner, picked next, is way better. Not to mention Fowler and Schwartz. While Stevie Y should be a good GM, he was labelled a genius way too early.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Connolly hasnt had that much ice time. Primarily a finisher, he hasnt been set up much. Plays a pro cycle game that isnt really effective at the WJC. Not sure why he was included on this team.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Oh... I have to disagree with you on this one then. I wasn't very happy with his game against the USA but otherwise I think he's been very good. Maybe he disappears again against a tougher opponent in Russia but we'll see tonight...

He doesn't go the net nearly as much as he should when he has the puck, if at all. Pretty much every time he turns and waits for the second wave, which doesn't always come or they're not available for a pass. If the Russians have done they're homework, the dmen should just block his rout towards the goal and wait for him to turn back, he's no going to challenge them. I am disappoint. :(

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Landeskog because he's out and we can't see him enough and Larsson because he looks pretty bad out there compared to last year. Couturier's been excellent for Canada. Haters on these boards are just looking for the big numbers. I believe that you guys don't even watch him play. And if you do, you know he's not fancy or anything, but he controls the play and never panics, while playing on a 3rd line.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If an under 20 year old, in a 1 week plus tournament can disappoint you, you really need to reevaluate how you view these players/kids.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
^ yeah, I dont think Couturier has been bad. If you're disappointed with Couturier I think you probably set the bar too high for an undrafted player. He's looked good out there, if mediocre, but he has mostly fit in. He looks a bit slower than some of the other Canadians but as someone said, he will develop like other big NHLers did. If he can get a step two faster, he will be lights-out good with that big frame, puck protection and vision.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
Roy. Big time. I remember watching him a few years ago in Cape Breton and he seemed like another Fleury, Houle, Pavelec but watching him in Buffalo makes me think that a lot of Oilers fans are going to be disappointed in the not too distant future.

Couturier is another guy. He is expected to go in the top three in this year's draft? The last two QMJHL forwards that went in the top three were Sidney Crosby and Vincent Lecavalier. He doesn't have a 1/10th of the talent that those two guys showed in the Q. 2011 must be an awful draft year.

No, it's just the QMJ isn't a great league this year....IMO not a lot of top end talent.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
Brett Connolly for sure.

He sure looks invisible for a guy picked so early last year. Skinner, picked next, is way better. Not to mention Fowler and Schwartz. While Stevie Y should be a good GM, he was labelled a genius way too early.

Connolly doesn't get a lot of ice time....he'd be a different player if he was used correctly.

He's not a 4th line grinder...he's a top line finisher. If thats the role they had for him, they should have taken Brad Ross and cut Connolly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad