PGT: WJC Gold Medal Game | Finland Win Gold Over USA 3-2 | Part II

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Anyway, no stage celebration like in the summer?

Nope, because at least 6 of the players stayed in NA and apparently it was the players' and coaching staff's wish as well not to have one due to the long travel. They had their own celebrations in Vancouver and I guess that was enough for them this time.

Reactions: canswetoxic

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
that was really unexpected, i thought it should be higher ? probably at least a million viewer after all the hockey is such a big sport in Finland.

If I can recall the record numbers were during Sotchi with 2 million viewers. This was on prime time and senior's team. So if U20 gets around 900k viewers (combined live audience and morning audience), it's a pretty good number considering it was so late in the night Finnish time.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Nope, because at least 6 of the players stayed in NA and apparently it was the players' and coaching staff's wish as well not to have one due to the long travel. They had their own celebrations in Vancouver and I guess that was enough for them this time.

auuwwww, the last one was 2011? that was huge, hope to see that kind of celebration for Ice Hockey again.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
auuwwww, the last one was 2011? that was huge, hope to see that kind of celebration for Ice Hockey again.
There will not be that kind of party again as it was disallowed to have parties there. There was like 100k people in 2011, now the parties are a lot smaller.

LAINEC

Mar 15, 2018
Candyland
We learn little kids to avoid polar bears, wolfs, bears, rudolph the red-nosed reindeers, drunk santa claus etc... First things we get is hockey skates. If we win something we run naked around city, drink booze etc.... vittu saatana perkele. And we hate russians and swedes

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And nowdays not every fin watch yle because **** commentators there is good streams.

Bullshit. People will rather turn off the commentator by switching the broadcast language on their tv. And for Leinonen's usual standards, he was very exited during the final. I'd prefer Riku Salminen, but I guess they don't have anyone equally good available for studio hosting gigs.

Reactions: Ippenator

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If I can recall the record numbers were during Sotchi with 2 million viewers. This was on prime time and senior's team. So if U20 gets around 900k viewers (combined live audience and morning audience), it's a pretty good number considering it was so late in the night Finnish time.

Nah, Olympic final in 2006 or -95 Worlds. Wikipedia claims the 2016 WC final drew over 3,25 million but that's combined fro two of MTV3's channels. 2006 Olympic final peaked at 2,4 million.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Nah, Olympic final in 2006 or -95 Worlds. Wikipedia claims the 2016 WC final drew over 3,25 million but that's combined fro two of MTV3's channels. 2006 Olympic final peaked at 2,4 million.

Interesting.

About the 2006 olympic, how was the atmosphere in Finland when Finland lost to Sweden? Was it a huge disappointment ?

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Interesting.

About the 2006 olympic, how was the atmosphere in Finland when Finland lost to Sweden? Was it a huge disappointment ?
I am too young to remember anything from it but I remember watching videos about the final and the interviews after.. it was.. So sad and crushing.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I was too young to remember, just wondering how were the seniors in this forum experienced it.

We don't like to talk about it. But as I have mentioned several times before, overall Team Finland has never played such good hockey in a best-on-best tournament or maybe others(not sure about 2011 Worlds) as we did then. It and Canada 2015 serve as counter arguments that good hockey can be played by "the best" even in a big rink.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Interesting.

One of the biggest let downs in Finnish sports history.

Everytime I hear the words "Koivun maila katkeaa", I feel like I'm back in 'Nam...

Reactions: Husqvarna

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Okay thanks for clarifying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad