PGT: WJC Gold Medal Game | Finland Win Gold Over USA 3-2 | Part II

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
From the people i know maybe 10-20%
Is soccer fans.
But pretty much everyone is a hockeyfan.
Atleast from males.

Sounds like you know a lot of people who vote for Perussuomalaiset but not many intellectuals. Football is more popular among Finnish intellectuals than ice hockey. Educated cosmopolitans who speak fluent English and have eclectic tastes in music and clothing tend to lean more towards football than towards hockey.

AlainC

Jan 3, 2019
You're delusional if you think a team like Canada/Russia/USA/Sweden would have the same type of motivation heading into a game where the winner takes home a participation medal. It's gold or bust for those nation's.

Hard to reconcile your opinion with the fact that Russia is 8-0 in bronze medal games at the WJC.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
America has far, far more registered hockey players. Almost equivalent to Canada.

Worth noting when comparing registered hockey players is that that there are huge differences in how each country counts registered players. We've covered this in a older threads here. In Finland, pretty much every one who plays jockey, junior or recreational league is a "licensed player". In Sweden, they don't count rec players. In Russia, they don't don't count juniors under the age of 10 or in some areas, players outside the first team. Might not count rec players either. Tretyak said a few years ago that the actual number of Russians playing hockey might be around 300K.

Last edited:

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Sounds like you know a lot of people who vote for Perussuomalaiset but not many intellectuals. Football is more popular among Finnish intellectuals than ice hockey. Educated cosmopolitans who speak fluent English and have eclectic tastes in music and clothing tend to lean more towards football than towards hockey.

Well i live in pori.
The city of jobless welders.
No intellectuals here man.
We all are closer to neanderthals than sapiens tbh.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Thanks.
We can't promise to stay out of men's world championship gold medal this year.
It depends a lot how good team we have in men's world championships.
Yeah i understand that. Finland will have a bright hockey future!

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Well i live in pori.
The city of jobless welders.
No intellectuals here man.
We all are closer to neanderthals than sapiens tbh.
You might want to Google "Neanderthal intelligence".

Congrats again to Finland, gutsy performance, esp. Talvitie!

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
True. Interestingly it is the polar opposite of that in US, where the blue collars like football but the educated, intelligent and rich white folk watch hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It being a 1 goal game real sours this. I'd be be happy for Finland (they had a great tourny) had they won by more, but I can't help feeling a bit ripped off. That WallE goal should have counted.
So you were sour about the 2017 shootout gold, or just inconsistent?

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Just an interesting stat i found and didnt know where to post it. May have already been mentioned.

This years leading point scorers had the lowest total (9) since 1981 where Dieter Hegen from Germany led the tournament that year.

Reactions: VP and Pouliot

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Hockey is clearly the biggest and most important sport in Finland, especially now because finns suck in any other sport there is. Hockey is as important to finns, as it is to canadians. Many people dont watch finnish league. The level there is not that high and talented players go elsewehere, but when it comes to international tournaments, the pressure to succeed is huge, and finns celebrate victories like no other.

Sadly there is a downside to this. Finns in the past have been too afraid to loose, but gladly it doesnt seem to be the case for the future superstars.

You couldn't be more wrong actually. Just look at basketball and volleyball, which are truly global, huge team sports - unlike ice hockey. Finland has done very well in both for years now. The competition in those, already at the European level, is way beyond the competition in ice hockey on global level. The only team sport to surpass the, is football (soccer).

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Hard to reconcile your opinion with the fact that Russia is 8-0 in bronze medal games at the WJC.

The conversation wasn't about the WJC. If you want to use the WJC as an example we can use Sweden a few years ago as a prime example. They didn't even try to make it look like they cared in the game against the Slovaks.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I have a hunch that you don't know much about climate data.
Or maybe you are just as deluded about what the winters of your childhood were like. His assessment was that there was "meters of snow and -20 C almost every day from end of Nov until early April" which would certainly be an exaggeration for any place in Finland.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
My point is that climate data disagrees with your assessment.
Well, mine is based on experience :) The winters of 1992 - 2000 were always snowy and proper cold in the north, and we often skated almost daily. Now for the past 8 times I've visited in the north during christmas, there's only been 2-3 times when we could skate in wintry conditions. All other times, it's been around zero degrees and very wet/slushy, with ice to match.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Well, mine is based on experience :) The winters of 1992 - 2000 were always snowy and proper cold in the north, and we often skated almost daily. Now for the past 8 times I've visited in the north during christmas, there's only been 2-3 times when we could skate in wintry conditions. All other times, it's been around zero degrees and very wet/slushy, with ice to match.
https://ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/tilastoja-vuodesta-1961

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Or maybe you are just as deluded about what the winters of your childhood were like. His assessment was that there was "meters of snow and -20 C almost every day from end of Nov until early April" which would certainly be an exaggeration for any place in Finland.

Climate data unequivocally shows significant warming in Finland. It also shows loss of yearly time extent of natural ice. One of the Finnish data sets that I personally know particularly well goes back to 1967.

These are inconvenient truths, not opinions. Climate change is very real and so is the role of humans in causing a large part of it. This is very clear to almost every single person working in the world of science. Outside that group of people, there are three groups who generally don't believe in climate change : 1) people with an agenda, i.e. affiliated with an oil company or hired by them, 2) people who also don't believe in evolution (and some may even think that the Earth is flat) and 3) complete ignoramuses who don't know much about anything. They also show a genuine lack of caring very little about, well, anything really outside satisfying their own ephemeral needs.

Edit: I will add that I talk about a much longer time period than just 1990-2000 compared to present day.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Climate data unequivocally shows significant warming in Finland. It also shows loss of yearly time extent of natural ice. One of the Finnish data sets that I personally know particularly well goes back to 1967.

These are inconvenient truths, not opinions. Climate change is very real and so is the role of humans in causing a large part of it. This is very clear to almost every single person working in the world of science. Outside that group of people, there are three groups who generally don't believe in climate change : 1) people with an agenda, i.e. affiliated with an oil company or hired by them, 2) people who also don't believe in evolution (and some may even think that the Earth is flat) and 3) complete ignoramuses who don't know much about anything. They also show a genuine lack of caring very little about, well, anything really outside satisfying their own ephemeral needs.
It's almost like you are accusing me of denying climate change. The average temperature has risen by 0.8 C in Finland in the last twenty years which of course is significant but certainly does not mean that these supposed five month superwinters suddenly turned into something of an extension of fall. Simply see the link which I just posted.

Reactions: tuozzi

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

This has become such a weird thread

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
JJ Watt played hockey. Then moved to football and became one of the very best pro players.

People here think life's a video game where athletes would translate just as well to any other sport they would've chosen to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad