PGT: WJC Gold Medal Game | Finland Win Gold Over USA 3-2 | Part II

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Poehling voted as tournament MVP (by the media). That’s a yikes. Nice goals to lead fruitless comeback and..? Definitely not spectacular in the medal round. I’d even take Chmelevski just among American forwards over him.

Edit: formal tournament all-star list.

G - Luukonen (meh, I guess)
D - Romanov (for sure, Montreal found a gem)
D - Brannstrom (outstanding both ways)
F - Denisenko (had to be one of the Russians, fair choice)
F - Kurashev (very well earned)
F - Poehling (I guess silver medalists have to have some representation)

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Poehling voted as tournament MVP (by the media). That’s a yikes. Nice goals to lead fruitless comeback and..? Completely unspectacular, even unimpressive in the medal round. I’d even take Chmelevski just among American forwards over him.
Poehling was great in the gold medal game. Lots of shots and superb scoring chances created by himself. Chelevski should have scored on that slick feed. An empty net miss cost them heavily.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
giphy.gif

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Poehling was great in the gold medal game. Lots of shots and superb scoring chances created by himself. Chelevski should have scored on that slick feed. An empty net miss cost them heavily.
Take off the Habs glasses and he was fine but definitely not great.

Don’t blame you though. If he was a Leafs or Pens prospect I’d probably think similarly.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
If your best junior players routinely lose to the best junior players of other nations, how do you expect that to translate into the future when the current wave of top Canadian players retire? USA and Finland are both on their way to being better hockey countries. That's just a fact.

Routinely? We won last year.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Take off the Habs glasses and he was fine but definitely not great.

Don’t blame you though. If he was a Leafs or Pens prospect I’d probably think similarly.
I mean he was very good in the first two periods. Then had a bad third period. Overall, he was very strong throughout the tourney.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Genu

Mar 19, 2011
Finland
Poehling voted as tournament MVP (by the media). That’s a yikes. Nice goals to lead fruitless comeback and..? Definitely not spectacular in the medal round. I’d even take Chmelevski just among American forwards over him.

Edit: formal tournament all-star list.

G - Luukonen (meh, I guess)
D - Romanov (for sure, Montreal found a gem)
D - Brannstrom (outstanding both ways)
F - Denisenko (had to be one of the Russians, fair choice)
F - Kurashev (very well earned)
F - Poehling (I guess silver medalists have to have some representation)
I think Luukkonen was the true MVP of the tourney, best player on finnish team. Truly incredible tournament from him, especially after his shaky performance last year.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Congrats to Team Finland. Think about it, these guys were 48 seconds away from being kicked out of the tournament against Canada. And now, they came through after that and ended up winning the whole tournament. What a spectacular performance from them, that’s what happens when you keep working hard and keep believing.

Good stuff guys, you deserve it.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Might be a dumb question but what is suomi or what does it stand for?
Finnish and Estonian (and distant cousin Hungarian, and the real oddball Basque) are AFAIK the only non Indo-European languages in Europe, so it's something resembling "Finland" in pretty much every other lingo. Same way with other (original, non loan) words, hard to guess what Finns are saying :P

Reactions: Kdotsection88

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
I think Luukkonen was the true MVP of the tourney, best player on finnish team. Truly incredible tournament from him, especially after his shaky performance last year.
He was very shaky against USA in group stage, but otherwise he was the best player of the team every other game.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I mean he was very good in the first two periods. Then had a bad third period. Overall, he was very strong throughout the tourney.
I'd say Poehling was not a player I noticed on the ice for the entire tournament. As he is mtl prospect you probably did - however he did nothing noteworthy.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Frankly who cares about gold in this tourney? A year from now most of these kids will be be playing far more important hockey and will have forgotten about this game.
Who cares about your post? In two minutes it will be forgotten in the forum archive. Who cares about "more important hockey"? In the end we will all be dead and our life is only a big cosmic joke in the grand scale of time and universe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad