PGT: WJC Gold Medal Game | Finland Win Gold Over USA 3-2 | Part II

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Climate change changing the subject on gold medal game thread, wow... Well, anyways, you are right, there were harsh cold winters with lots of snow back in the day when the Spirit of the Winter War was coined and so on... Now the climate change is threatening our notions of winter and thus winter sports as we used to know them being played and practiced outdoors on beds of pure white snow and shiny natural ice. But anyways, congrats to the boys, they melted the hearts of many ice cold opportunists for a moment again, that is the WJC at its best. Even I , a silver grey eminence "taata", as they say, got excited about these juvenile festivities again - and I am indeed already an old old man sitting here on my bed in a nursing home recalling our fading heroics on Karelia Isthmus and on the road to Raattee when we were young and winters cold and real, ice crystal clear and hard as diamond, oh boy, we were some skiers and snipers then, fast and calm, accurate and deadly as Patrik Laine, me and Simo Hayha, for instance, dugout homies. Oh boy. those winters and that freeze, snow and the luminous air full tiny ice particles shining in the sun, steaming breaths and some good ol moonshine and Pervitin. --- Wait... it is not me - not me in the corner of that photo, it is not me in the spot, just a reflection of times long since gone, in bad and good... but bhoys did we dig gold or wat?

Reactions: talenttracer

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
It's almost like you are accusing me of denying climate change. The average temperature has risen by 0.8 C in Finland in the last twenty years which of course is significant but certainly does not mean that these supposed five month superwinters suddenly turned into something of an extension of fall. Simply see the link which I just posted.

Accusing you is not my intention. I just do not want to see any belittlement of this phenomenon. It is that serious to me.

I haven't talked about any five month superwinters. And yes, even that change is very significant. One thing that people often overlook is that the temperature rise in most places is not evenly "distributed", i.e. in many areas in Finland, there is almost no change if you look at summer months but a lot more change if you look at autumn or winter months.

Duration of yearly natural ice in one large system in northern Finland has dropped by roughly two months in just 50 years. That is an absolutely huge change! When autumns and springs become just a little bit warmer, that's what happens. And this is in the north of Finland!

Our children and grand children may not see much natural ice to skate on.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
That seems to confirm my memories. Between 1993 - 2000, in Tornio (southern part of Lapland) it was abnormally warm only in December 1994. All other Decembers were normal or colder than normal.
And between 2011 and 2018, it has been abnormally warm EVERY December, except for 2012.
If you examine the seasonal statistics, you can see that there has been a lot of variance. A warmer period 1989 and 1995 followed by a colder period and then again by a warmer period and so forth. Now, obviously this discussion has little to do with yesterday's gold medal game.

Reactions: LAINEC

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
True. Interestingly it is the polar opposite of that in US, where the hillbillies like football but the educated, intelligent and rich white folk watch hockey.

I have been going to pro hockey games in the US since 1964. I know a lot more blue collar hockey fans than white collar fans, which would be the opposite of your post. Also, I don't know anybody personally that sits in the luxury boxes for the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. Since a regular ticket runs $50 to $100, I would think that the cost of those tickets must be $200 - $300 per seat and paid for by a corporate sponsor.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This game was nice to see in person. I got cheap lower bowl tickets too, which was great. Here’s my impressions of the prospects I paid special attention to:

Good performances:
Kakko
Vaakanainen
Q Hughes
Luukkonen
Chmelevski
J Hughes

Average performances:
Jokiharju
Lundell
Poehling
Primeau

Poor performances:
Tolvanen
Miller

The crowd was very pro-Finland, although Quinn Hughes got massive cheers all night.

Was a good night. I thought the first USA goal that was disallowed should have counted when it happened live. It was a hard decision to make either way.

AlainC

Jan 3, 2019
People here think life's a video game where athletes would translate just as well to any other sport they would've chosen to play.

I mustn't have made it clear... my point was the exact opposite. Someone said that if Lebron James and Calvin Johnson had been hockey players, they would have been much better than Crosby and McKinnon.

My point was that JJ Watt used to play hockey and wasn't very successful, yet he became a fantastic football player.

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Hockey is clearly the biggest and most important sport in Finland, especially now because finns suck in any other sport there is. Hockey is as important to finns, as it is to canadians. Many people dont watch finnish league. The level there is not that high and talented players go elsewehere, but when it comes to international tournaments, the pressure to succeed is huge, and finns celebrate victories like no other.

Sadly there is a downside to this. Finns in the past have been too afraid to loose, but gladly it doesnt seem to be the case for the future superstars.

Formula 1 man, Formula 1 ...

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
This game was nice to see in person. I got cheap lower bowl tickets too, which was great. Here’s my impressions of the prospects I paid special attention to:

Good performances:
Kakko
Vaakanainen
Q Hughes
Luukkonen
Chmelevski
J Hughes

Average performances:
Jokiharju
Lundell
Poehling
Primeau

Poor performances:
Tolvanen
Miller

The crowd was very pro-Finland, although Quinn Hughes got massive cheers all night.

Was a good night. I thought the first USA goal that was disallowed should have counted when it happened live. It was a hard decision to make either way.

Any take on Laaksonen?? He was very good again although he had a few missed lead passes. Skating and vision were fantastic.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Hockey is by far the biggest spectator sport in Finland.

Sounds like you know a lot of people who vote for Perussuomalaiset but not many intellectuals. Football is more popular among Finnish intellectuals than ice hockey. Educated cosmopolitans who speak fluent English and have eclectic tastes in music and clothing tend to lean more towards football than towards hockey.
The opposite is true for HIFK fans. Bättre folk follow their hockey team, neanderthals their soccer club.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In 2015 Finland had 130,000 registered football players, 73,000 registered hockey players, and 53,000 registered floorball players.

Sweden has 240,000 licensed football players, four times more than hockey. Sweden also has more than 120,000 registered floorball players. That's twice as many as hockey.

What’s funny is that Canada has more football players than hockey players too.

Soccer vs. hockey: Who plays what in Canada

Kuz

May 11, 2015
What’s funny is that Canada has more football players than hockey players too.

Soccer vs. hockey: Who plays what in Canada

Makes you wonder how high the level hockey are played at compared to soccer. If hockey had the same amount of players worldwide to recruit from as soccer the level would probably be a lot higher. When in the top 100 you have +/- 50% of them being canadian while in soccer that more canadians play they have no player close to top 100 in the world. The ones who play hockey are probably more dedicated and there was not any gender difference set up. Probably a higher percentage of men playing hockey than the total that was listed. Canada also has a better system in place to let hockey players succeed and tradition for playing hockey. Often the most talented players could succeed in multiple sports, but most in Canada that could choose soccer or hockey would choose hockey. Soccer is probably also a throw in summer sport/2nd sport for a lot as its an easy to play and a cheap sport.

Reactions: Past Considerations

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
upload_2019-1-7_12-34-6.png

Imagine how good Finland would have been with this guy leading the troops.:)

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Makes you wonder how high the level hockey are played at compared to soccer. If hockey had the same amount of players worldwide to recruit from as soccer the level would probably be a lot higher. When in the top 100 you have +/- 50% of them being canadian while in soccer that more canadians play they have no player close to top 100 in the world. The ones who play hockey are probably more dedicated and there was not any gender difference set up. Probably a higher percentage of men playing hockey than the total that was listed. Canada also has a better system in place to let hockey players succeed and tradition for playing hockey. Often the most talented players could succeed in multiple sports, but most in Canada that could choose soccer or hockey would choose hockey. Soccer is probably also a throw in summer sport/2nd sport for a lot as its an easy to play and a cheap sport.

It's not just soccer vs hockey, Canada is producing MLB players, NFL players & NBA players, basically elite athletes for every sport BUT soccer despite the high registration numbers. It sounds like a simplistic explanation but I would have to say that soccer just seems to be a sport that is popular because it is cheap but it's kind of a joke that cities and schools will organize leagues just to get kids running around without spending much but any kid who has more serious athletic inclinations goes to get involved in other sports that have a more rigorous developmental structure ( either in Canada - or with easy access to the US system for anyone with real talent). Maybe this will change over time if the MLS can keep growing and can create demand for better youth competition and development.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
YLE announced viewership for the final game. Average of 397 000 at night, with a peak audience of 544 000. The re-run without intermissions at 10 am had an average of 467 000.

that was really unexpected, i thought it should be higher ? probably at least a million viewer after all the hockey is such a big sport in Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad