WJC Discussion- Wikstrand Watch!

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Dude. Again, I didn't watch the game, but.. the guys who are the hardest to play against are the scorers... Nuge, Huberdeau, Scheifele.

Random physical grinders who don't contribute any goals and are marginally better defensively aren't valuable at all.

Make the best two-way lines possible. That is all. And that includes Monahan.

How did that work out for us today? i don't think it did. We could have used some tougher wingers that were harder to play against, and a defenceman or two that were shutdown-esque instead of Murray and Rielly playing all the time.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Random physical grinders who don't contribute any goals and are marginally better defensively aren't valuable at all.

Yeah, ok. I'm feeling this. "Random" players have no business on Team Canadas. Agreed.

The elite defensive players, however, do. There just weren't any to pick from this year, with the exception of Jenner (who torpedoe'd his tournament ANYWAYS by only playing in 2 games).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
How did that work out for us today? i don't think it did. We could have used some tougher wingers that were harder to play against, and a defenceman or two that were shutdown-esque instead of Murray and Rielly playing all the time.

I though Hamilton was balls-awful for long stretches today as well, though I fully admit it might have been a side-effect of playing with Murphy.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Murray wasn't on our team.

And people like Camara and Lipon got lost in the shuffle. It's not that they really hurt us (although Lipon did), but they really didn't have the marginal benefits that someone else could've had.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I watched Murphy when he played against Kingston.

I kept thinking "what is the big deal with this kid?" He was making mistakes all over the place, he had a tonne of turnovers and was never in his position. The comparison to Gilroy is spot on.

For those of you who are wondering why he was on the team, look who the head coach is.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Murray wasn't on our team.

And people like Camara and Lipon got lost in the shuffle. It's not that they really hurt us (although Lipon did), but they really didn't have the marginal benefits that someone else could've had.

Sorry I meant Murphy. :laugh:

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I though Hamilton was balls-awful for long stretches today as well, though I fully admit it might have been a side-effect of playing with Murphy.

He definitely wasn't dominant. Maybe the bigger ice made these players look much differently than they had before as well but it wasn't impressive at all.

General Granny*

Vikstrand was put on Yaku duty and he shuts him down.

Not bad tourney so far for a 7th rounder.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
He certainly didn't look like the "Franchise defenceman" the Bruins and their fans have pegged him as. On the other hand, he's usually pretty dominant in the O.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
He certainly didn't look like the "Franchise defenceman" the Bruins and their fans have pegged him as. On the other hand, he's usually pretty dominant in the O.
He's a big smooth skating right handed defenseman. Thus the Pronger comparisons.

I don't really see it though. Franchise defensemen raise their game and look dominant in big games, and that's two years in a row where I haven't seen that from Hamilton.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He has been underwhelming every time I have watched him. Scheifele is also aweful, I dont know how they came out so flat and played so poorly. This team canada was so talented, I dont think Spott did a good job. It was obvious they werent prepared, Binnington looked better then Subban in every opportunity I just dont get why he wasnt the guy.

The USA played very well I dont see Sweden beating them but what do I know.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
was about to post here about team canada and the coaches, but AJ is summing it up PERFECTLY right now on 1200. (he's going on ryan murphy now:laugh:)

basically Kevin Prendergast and Steve Spott, suck this!:rant:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He has been underwhelming every time I have watched him. Scheifele is also aweful, I dont know how they came out so flat and played so poorly. This team canada was so talented, I dont think Spott did a good job. It was obvious they werent prepared, Binnington looked better then Subban in every opportunity I just dont get why he wasnt the guy.

The USA played very well I dont see Sweden beating them but what do I know.

The only game I was impressed with Subban was in the game versus Russia. He usually looks like his flexibility, mobility, and reflexes are sub-par. He didn't impress me in the scrimmages during the selection process. He didn't look that great in his Ivan Hilinka (sp?) U-17 tournament. So I was puzzled with his selection, and that they started him in this tournament.

But there are many goalies that puzzle me like that. Luongo, for example.

edit: And I don't blame Subban for any of the first three goals on him, so I'm not pinning the loss on him.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
LOL it wasn't pretty easily. It was a great move, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Speaking for Yak? This is what people refer to when they complain about not being allowed to post anything negative about prospects (specifically Wikstrand). Two posts about him barely even critical and you had to comment on both. :laugh: If people can point out every routine good play he makes, we can point out others as well.

I'd like to see people try to defend Spott, but I guess nobody will really wanna try that?

but.. the guys who are the hardest to play against are the scorers...

Spoken like someone who never played contact hockey. The two-way grinders have their place in this tournament, no need for the hyperbole either, you're acting as if it's impossible for them to produce on the scoring sheet (it isn't).

He definitely was, in my opinion as well.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Speaking for Yak? This is what people refer to when they complain about not being allowed to post anything negative about prospects (specifically Wikstrand). Two posts about him barely even critical and you had to comment on both. :laugh: If people can point out every routine good play he makes, we can point out others as well.

I'd like to see people try to defend Spott, but I guess nobody will really wanna try that?

Spoken like someone who never played contact hockey. The two-way grinders have their place in this tournament, no need for the hyperbole either, you're acting as if it's impossible for them to produce on the scoring sheet (it isn't).

He definitely was, in my opinion as well.

Read the prospects thread, I don't automatically come to the Defence of prospects, calm your ****.

I was just disagreeing with a poster on what they saw on a play. :rolleyes:

Calm your elitist ******** as well. Don't go with "Spoken like someone who never played contact". That's not a prerequisite for knowing what youre talking about

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Read the prospects thread, I don't automatically come to the Defence of prospects, calm your ****.

I was just disagreeing with a poster on what they saw on a play. :rolleyes:

You just happened to comment both times someone said something remotely negative about his play, I see.

Somebody needs to take his own advice. :laugh: No need for that language, keyboard warrior, enjoy the last of your christmas holidays before school starts up again. No need for that at all kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad