WJC Discussion- Wikstrand Watch!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I said it before the game and I'll say it again: putting Binnington was a horrendously stupid move by Spott. Binnington hadn't played a single game all tournament long (excluding preliminary games). Subban is the only reason we beat the USA in the first match-up, and was steady against Russia. Then, the entire Canadian team plays like absolute garbage against the US in the SF, with more turnovers than your local bakery, and you're going to pin that loss on Subban? Ridiculous. So you throw in a goalie who has received no playing time, possibly further discouraged your team with little trust in their netminder, and then you pull Binnington half-way through the game and put in a frustrated, and probably pissed off Subban.

**** Steve Spott. Worst Canadian WJC coach I've ever seen.

You can say that again.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Nice to see that our thoughts on Mikael Vikstrand aren't too far off what the experts are thinking. He has been voted best Swedish player "by the coaches".

http://stats.worldjunior2013.com/Hydra/306/IHM306000_85J_1_0.pdf

I couldn't find where it mentions if the coaches were to vote only for their own players or if they were to vote on all players in the tournament, 3 per team.

Either way, a nice accomplishment and some recognition for him.

TheOriginalSilf*

Why are there turnovers at a bakery?

turnover2.jpg

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I talked to Pronman, you're right it was twitter votes, my bad :facepalm:

What gave it away? The fact that one of the three forwards on the actual All Star Team wasn't top-5 in FW voting? ;)

As for the actual team, and not to rain on anyone's parade here, but it was pretty obvious that writers were scrambling to put together teams with Swedes on it, and as there were no real deserving candidates, the "most famous" on D and FW got on there undeservingly. Moreso for Forsberg than Wikstrand, obviously, but Jones, McCabe and Trouba were all clearly better throughout the tournament.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What gave it away? The fact that one of the three forwards on the actual All Star Team wasn't top-5 in FW voting? ;)

As for the actual team, and not to rain on anyone's parade here, but it was pretty obvious that writers were scrambling to put together teams with Swedes on it, and as there were no real deserving candidates, the "most famous" on D and FW got on there undeservingly. Moreso for Forsberg than Wikstrand, obviously, but Jones, McCabe and Trouba were all clearly better throughout the tournament.

Haha, the results were released a couple days before the actual ones, I assumed it was leaked given his connections.

Those guys definitely played better but Wikstrand really held his own and was the biggest part of the Swedish D which made the finals. He wasn't flashy but extremely effective and efficient. Nilsson was good but wasn't as relied on and effective all-around like Wikstrand, imo. Not like this tourney is anything of a small sample of his development either, he was played phenomenal hockey in Sweden prior to this as well.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Haha, the results were released a couple days before the actual ones, I assumed it was leaked given his connections.

Those guys definitely played better but Wikstrand really held his own and was the biggest part of the Swedish D which made the finals. He wasn't flashy but extremely effective and efficient. Nilsson was good but wasn't as relied on and effective all-around like Wikstrand, imo. Not like this tourney is anything of a small sample of his development either, he was played phenomenal hockey in Sweden prior to this as well.

He was okay - solid but okay. He was a bit better than Claesson was the year before him but would have been way behind lindholm. That probably gives you a gauge of where he should have been drafted - 3rd, 4th rounder. Tops out as a #4,5 if all goes perfectly according to plan. He wasn't strikingly amazing - a notch above Claesson though.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I talked to Pronman, you're right it was twitter votes, my bad :facepalm:

Lol

I think he was just guessing Gibson for MVP and he was right. Vikstrand was good and we got great value again in the late rounds but I'm sure you and several others were pumping pronmans feed with votes.

I like em because if he becomes an nhler, he's a player with quality puck movement up the ice, quality in zone movement, smart and poised on the blue line and isn't afraid of contact. If he wants to be a player he probably could be. His strengths are valuable on any pairing.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol

I think he was just guessing Gibson for MVP and he was right. Vikstrand was good and we got great value again in the late rounds but I'm sure you and several others were pumping pronmans feed with votes.

I like em because if he becomes an nhler, he's a player with quality puck movement up the ice, quality in zone movement, smart and poised on the blue line and isn't afraid of contact. If he wants to be a player he probably could be. His strengths are valuable on any pairing.

Nope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad