WJC - Byfield Thoughts

Dykstra

whiskey jpeg pgt
May 1, 2010
Scott Parse at best.

He dominated the dot as well right? It seems he won almost all.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I have been clear from the start. Never called him a bust. Said I’ve yet to see him dominate a world stage with better competition. Said I hoped he would still do so. This is the game I was looking for and hoping for. Dude has figured in the scoring and had a major impact against the worst team in the tournament. Doesn’t make him a HOFer yet either does it Zig?

This is an encouraging step and a bit validation to ease some concerns. Happy for it.

All I ever asked from those expressing concern is to be patient, because 10-11 minutes of ice time doesn’t paint a clear picture. Today we saw what Byfield can do when given more of an opportunity. He performed better as the game went on, and I know we have yet to see the best out of Byfield. What he showed today is a glimpse of what he’s capable of.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
All I ever asked from those expressing concern is to be patient, because 10-11 minutes of ice time doesn’t paint a clear picture. Today we saw what Byfield can do when given more of an opportunity. He performed better as the game went on, and I know we have yet to see the best out of Byfield. What he showed today is a glimpse of what he’s capable of.
It was never just about two games for me. Hlinka, last year’s WJC, and this year’s start. I’m happy to see this honestly. I know you didn’t waiver and you believe in the kid and the pick. As fans I think we all want him to be a star. This is a good sign.

Reactions: Rooks

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,

I posted this in the Canada v Swiss GDT back in the 2nd period when some members were piling on:

With all due respect, I really do not understand why people post about how certain prospects are “busts” at 18 or 19.

I notice it in most of the WJC threads and again in this one. To me, we should be supporting these young men to succeed.

It makes the NHL deeper and enriched overall

I think confidence plays a huge part in tournaments like this.
———————————————
Later, after Quinton went off, I Posted how happy I was for him and that I hoped he now had his confidence back and could get on a roll for the rest of the tournament.
23091F9C-EF5D-47B8-8D72-61C600D44D65.gif

Who the f*** thinks it’s fun to call 18 & 19 year old “ busts” anyway? Even your rivals prospects? The NHL is enriched by more young talent.

Anyway, Happy New Year and let’s hope Quinton burns down lots of villages. It looks like he’s got his mojo going.
6EF0946E-370D-417F-B289-381B9AB54CF9.jpeg

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Tomorrow, Byfield will have a technically better game than tonight, but will be held off the scoresheet. The roaches will re-emerge and comment on how he's a floater who sucks, and will feel validated.

Byfield is on a team that is talented enough he doesn't need to dominate every game. Consequently, he stepped up when nobody else took over. These tournaments are fun and can provide a good insight, but people ultimately need to stop with bipolar analysis.

This isn't targeted at anyone in particular, either - in fact, I expect most of this behavior from the cess pool known as the main boards.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
This is so predictable it's not even funny. I bring up legit concerns about Byfield and he goes ape shit on the scoreboard in the game. Never fails.

Turcotte sucks cause he had 0 points in a 7-0 win... 10 point game incoming next
He's got Trevor Lewis hands.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Oh look, all the fanboys with kings colored glasses coming in to say told you so.

You are just as annoying as those comparing him to Andreoff.

Not like there is any nuance or room for criticism. Oh we forgot points don’t mean everything and WJC has no intrinsic value in analyzing said player.

It’s nice seeing him take this step. Hoping this is a boost for him and he continues to roll.

And that's the thing. Most of us who have expressed concerns have never said he was a bust, but the 'fanboys' seem to think otherwise. It's like a crime to say anything other than praise.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
And that's the thing. Most of us who have expressed concerns have never said he was a bust, but the 'fanboys' seem to think otherwise. It's like a crime to say anything other than praise.
The problem comes when the criticism is made without the appropriate context and nuance. I’m not talking about anyone in particular but much of it has been very unbalanced. But equally this is only one game so let’s not get too carried away. However it does give him something to build on and perhaps is indicative of the impact of so little hockey.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think it is somewhere in the middle. Criticism isn’t inherently bad and doesn’t mean you hate a player. Top picks tend to be sensitive subjects. Kings bashing is legit too and many posters have had years of defending the Kings ad nauseam which can lead to a short fuse. In the end LA took a player in Byfield that matches there philosophy. Good all around, defensively responsible, hard to play against. If he can chip in the offense of a number one center LA will be straight for years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Squirties

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
The problem comes when the criticism is made without the appropriate context and nuance. I’m not talking about anyone in particular but much of it has been very unbalanced. But equally this is only one game so let’s not get too carried away. However it does give him something to build on and perhaps is indicative of the impact of so little hockey.
What is this? English Lit? I thought this was a hockey board.

Reactions: lumbergh

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Still not a lot of ice time but that's the f***ing point when comparing him to Timmy: Byfield would look ridiculous at 30 minutes in a game where he's told to go score.

Hopefully this was more power play time tonight as I'm not sure what he was getting previously but, shit man, this Canadian forward group is silly and nobody needs to be leaned on yet.

His work on the backcheck and commitment to defense is very nice to see. That's the shit that main board knuckle draggers never see which is why Kopitar has always been underrated.

All that said: it's one game. To be honest, my initial concerns of him being timid are still there as him putting up points does not surprise me. He looked like he felt bad every time he scored haha. You'd like him to have more of an edge but, seriously, this was a Kopitar type performance: defense, face offs and points all with zero emotion.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I think the one thing that is coming through more than anything else here is that we fans on HF are starved to death for hockey and are fighting over every bone.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad