WJC - Byfield Thoughts

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think it's important to note that I don't see anyone claiming that Byfield had a phenomenal WJC. If your expectations were that he would be the best player in the tournament, then yes, he failed to meet those expectations. If your expectations were to improve on his performance from last year and play the role asked of him by his coaches, then he did just fine.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Goodness, some of these takes.

Byfield is a growing player who is still adjusting to his body. While put in a third-liner role, he played more of a checker expected of him by the coach.

I said others have compared him to Malkin, but I feel he's a lot more like Kopitar. He's a two-way player with a good deal of skill. But he inconsistently asserts himself. He's more of a shooter compared to Kopitar, who I think has better anticipation with the puck.

I still think Byfield got better as the tourney went on. He was never dominant, not even when he got 6 points in a game.

But he will do what the coach asks of him. When a young player is willing to learn and listen to the coach, it's huge.

I know some want him to demand more of himself and assert himself around the ice, but he's not there yet. He honestly may never. But that was the biggest drawback of his performance at the WJCs. Anyone saying he was worse than failing to assert himself is overstating his shortcomings.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
I think it's fair to say that we all would have liked to see a bit more offense from him but he was generating plenty of chances and showed great adaptability as a player by playing a role that he wasn't accustomed to

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Goodness, some of these takes.

Byfield is a growing player who is still adjusting to his body. While put in a third-liner role, he played more of a checker expected of him by the coach.

I said others have compared him to Malkin, but I feel he's a lot more like Kopitar. He's a two-way player with a good deal of skill. But he inconsistently asserts himself. He's more of a shooter compared to Kopitar, who I think has better anticipation with the puck.

I still think Byfield got better as the tourney went on. He was never dominant, not even when he got 6 points in a game.

But he will do what the coach asks of him. When a young player is willing to learn and listen to the coach, it's huge.

I know some want him to demand more of himself and assert himself around the ice, but he's not there yet. He honestly may never. But that was the biggest drawback of his performance at the WJCs. Anyone saying he was worse than failing to assert himself is overstating his shortcomings.

I agree. Whether it was overly embracing the checking role, or being deferential to skilled teammates, that was the biggest 'problem.' And it might be coaching more than a player flaw, frankly.

We've seen what he can do when he HAS to be the guy in Sudbury in a much larger sample size. And he completely murdered the previous league in similar manner. His tournament 'struggles' are well documented, but they're also only a handful of games in wildly differing roles. The Reign and Kings aren't bringing him here to check. The guy is gonna eat PP time, not 4th line minutes with an assortment of linemates.

Now if he had been given 30 minutes a game with all offense running through him and the best possible linemates and he didn't put up offensive numbers? Different problem. But I really like what I saw defensively, especially considering he was getting hammered before the draft for that.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
An article on Elite Prospects about individual metrics tracked manually for the WJC... and how Byfield was solid defensively: 10 final thoughts on the World Juniors using manually tracked data - EP Rinkside

On the forecheck, the clear-cut leaders are Quinton Byfield and Dylan Cozens. These two were forechecking machines. Surprisingly, Ryan Suzuki, Cole Caufield, and Arthur Kaliyev were among the tournament’s top forwards in this category.

The leader among forwards? Beniers, whose non-stop motor, attention to detail, and advanced support made game him a constant threat to dispossession the opposition. Once again, Byfield and Cozens were among the leaders, and Oskar Olausson (2021) makes an appearance.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
An article on Elite Prospects about individual metrics tracked manually for the WJC... and how Byfield was solid defensively: 10 final thoughts on the World Juniors using manually tracked data - EP Rinkside
So, he was asked to play a role he was not used to, using his size which he’s supposedly bad at and he killed it. Yeah, he’s a bust alright.

I’d like to know which other players at the WJC were able to adapt to an unaccustomed role so effectively.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I do like that he seems to be defensively responsible already. That is what will get you into the lineup faster. You can't be a total liability on one end of the ice unless you're supremely gifted offensively if you your team has any designs on playing winning hockey.

Reactions: lumbergh

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

@ 4:10 Quinton again made reference to him being able to adapt to playing up and down the lineup. While it was easy to see at first he was centering the 3rd line, it's even more evident that he was in a third line checking role during the World Juniors.

Would have been nice to see him up as a 2nd line center to generate more offense but you can't blame the kid for not lighting up the tournament with goals and assists in a third line checking role.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
What if he became the #1C and Captain for next year’s WJC Team Canada and led them back to gold next year? It could very likely happen if he doesn’t transition fully to the NHL.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
There's a case to be made LA won't release him if he's in the NHL full time next season

If that's the case it may mean he's progressing in his NHL career, which is the best news of all, then the WJC would be going backwards. I consider the WJC scenario going a step forward and the NHL going two steps forward.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If that's the case it may mean he's progressing in his NHL career, which is the best news of all, then the WJC would be going backwards. I consider the WJC scenario going a step forward and the NHL going two steps forward.

I can see it now.

"Of course Byfield doesn't want to represent Canada, what a primadonna. He just knows he'd choke in the WJC again anyway"

Reactions: Rorschach

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I wish the best for all youngins that enter the league, but now i hope Stuetzle turns into Patrik Stefan.

Screw that. I am not letting a few load mouths from other fan bases not let me enjoy watching all these top prospects. Stutzle is fun to watch and I wish we had him as well.

Byfield will be a beast. Don’t let a few uneducated or jealous loud rocks taint your view of other players.

hell I wish we had Matthew Tkachuk on our team.

Reactions: Telos

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I wish the best for all youngins that enter the league, but now i hope Stuetzle turns into Patrik Stefan.

I've always been saying if you're not one of our prospects I want you to be the next big bust. Lafreniere, Stutzle, all of 2019 draft, etc....eff em all. :nod:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I hope the kids plays at the World Juniors in August. Would be nice to see him gets some points and dominate the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad