WJC - Byfield Thoughts

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
The Kings didn’t miss on anything. They said he is a project and know he will take a few years to develop.

i agree that he is slow out there. The only thing I am worried about it what’s his attitude like. In interviews he said he is wanting to play NHL but the eye test says he isn’t even close to AHL ready.

Let’s remember he hasn’t played since last February and has came back 10 pounds heavier. Being a bigger guy he may take a little longer to grow into his body.

I did expect more against a shorthanded German team however. He should be able to use the speed and size and run right through the team. It looks like he’s floating out there and that in my mind is unacceptable

Reactions: BlackMetalED

funky

Mar 9, 2002
They are talking about Jeff Carter on the broadcast. I think this would be the perfect way for Quinton to start. Put them on the wing where he doesn’t have to think, just go up and down the boards to the net and use his good hands to score.

JJDrums

Oct 27, 2015
Cambridge, Ontario
The Kings didn’t miss on anything. They said he is a project and know he will take a few years to develop.

i agree that he is slow out there. The only thing I am worried about it what’s his attitude like. In interviews he said he is wanting to play NHL but the eye test says he isn’t even close to AHL ready.

Let’s remember he hasn’t played since last February and has came back 10 pounds heavier. Being a bigger guy he may take a little longer to grow into his body.

I did expect more against a shorthanded German team however. He should be able to use the speed and size and run right through the team. It looks like he’s floating out there and that in my mind is unacceptable

even with Canada running up the score, Byfield is not getting ice time .. disappointing so far

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I’m concerned.

Waffled on him and Stutzle up to the minute.

Two WJC getting very little time on ice. I expected him to be more dominant this year.

Hope he can put it together.

Thing about Stutzle is he is just fun to watch. Kings went for a Kopi clone in Byfield which I get, but I thought they wanted more skill and speed injected into the previous formula.

All of this conversation is way early but the lack of playing time and dominate play has me concerned for our #2 overall pick.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I wouldn’t be concerned. You guys know he’s going to be a project and if he turns out perfectly he’s probably better than Stuetzle longterm. I’m concerned he isn’t playing as much when Canada is up 11-1 though.

Reactions: BlackMetalED

JJDrums

Oct 27, 2015
Cambridge, Ontario
I wouldn’t be concerned. You guys know he’s going to be a project and if he turns out perfectly he’s probably better than Stuetzle longterm. I’m concerned he isn’t playing as much when Canada is up 11-1 though.

I agree .. With such a large lead, Canada should roll the lines but Byfield is not getting much ice time at all .. just seems like he is floating ... and I think that is what the coach is seeing too .. hence the bench ..

Kings didnt need a project ..

funky

Mar 9, 2002

Up 11 to 1 you would expect the coach to start getting the boys with low ice time some more ice time and resting the big boys a bit. See what the third brings

funky

Mar 9, 2002
Up 11 to 1 you would expect the coach to start getting the boys with low ice time some more ice time and resting the big boys a bit. See what the third brings

Nope. Puts the top line out o. The PP. embarrassing

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'll be concerned about Byfield if he isn't playing a bigger role at next year's WJC. We weren't too concerned about Turcotte last year, so why are we concerned about Byfield this year? Yes, he was a second overall pick, but that's because of what he could be in a few years, not because of what he is right now. He's the youngest player on Team Canada. Is it a bit disappointing? Of course, but mostly because we want good things now. A good WJC does not a career make.

JJDrums

Oct 27, 2015
Cambridge, Ontario
holy over reaction thread

just observations ... thoughts .. i didnt like the pick to begin with .. but was looking forward to watching him in the tournament ... just saying disappointing when your second overall pick cannot get much ice time let along pick up a point in a 12 plus goal game

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
Fact of the matter is you should expect more out of your second overall pick.

Ehhhh, that point I don't quite agree on. We all knew right away the Kings decided to take a gamble on Byfield. Did I hope he's a natural talent that's going to excel greatly in teams not affiliated to the Kings before he plays under the Kings? Sure. That stated, the only way I truly say that he is a bust for us is not based on his performance with the WJC. It's going to be based on if he's going to work out well with the Kings' organization and their system and their "plan," which could take the length of his ELC. I can't tell. I'm not sweating wanting instant results now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad