• Thread starter Zetterberg4Captain*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjri

Mar 18, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Americans are big and strong and skilled. They will win a lot of medals in the future.

Vrana is a great player. He was always dangerous when he got a break from the wing. Very good on 1-on-1 situations. Congrats to czechs.

joejohnstone

Jan 2, 2005
It was very average, actually Koutsky (sp?) looked as good, if not better in the 1'st game against the Americans....which is why Olesz' scoring is more important to the Czech's in the tourny than Schwarz' goaltending...especially when the have a good backup.

joejohnstone

Jan 2, 2005
HabsFanFromPEI said:
i watched the first 2 periods than had to do homework so i can watch the canada game....can anyone tell me what happened in the 3rd and what the final score was? thanks

3-2 Czechs in OT. Jeff Likens pooped his shorts ONCE AGAIN leading to a breakaway for Petr Vrana who scored the winner.

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
if the U.S. got "average" goaltending they might be playing for gold in about an hour. For me the entire defense minus Suter was pretty horrible. Please tell me Jack Johnson is better that those guys--any hope next year?

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
neelynugs said:
KO'd by brown
don't you want to know how other players are doing, or is it just all olesz, all the time? homer ;) :joker:
Well, Tuma and Lojek too, but I never get a response for them.

I only care about Schremp, O'Sullivan, Olesz and Frolik in this game, and Olesz was the only one that hadn't been talked about in this thread when I posted it.

But yeah, I admit it, I am definately a pretty big homer, but only in terms of liking players for my team. I don't put FLA as a better team than anyone else just cause I like them and don't get blinded by homerism in trade proposals.

That sucks that Olesz got hurt. :madfire: Mike Brown sucks.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Missed the game. But, I am looking forward to watching Petr Vrana in a Devils uniform. One of these days!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
not a good goal to give up but i've seen goalies in the NHL do the same thing

joejohnstone

Jan 2, 2005
Barnaby said:
That play never should have happened... that one is on Likens as far as I'm concerned...

Not only should it have never happened, but Likens is sticking the hell out of Vrana, who knows where the puck is going to go.

The only thing MOntoya could have done was rush out and poke the puck away...but he obviously didn't trust Likens enough to keep his man tied up. I can't blame him, I wouldn't trust Likens to be able to tie his own skates.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Barnaby said:
That play never should have happened... that one is on Likens as far as I'm concerned...

I agree with all of you, Likens and Montoya were pretty weak but why is it nowadays that rarely on a good move by player, that player never receive the credit he should receive. The goaltender always weak, a goaltender is never allowed to give a 5-hole goal, never ever....

We will start enjoying good offensive game whenver we will start applauding the one that score, not criticizing the ones that gave the goal.

That being said.......My god did Likens looked awful and Montoya was definately off balance but congrats to the Czech on a great move by Vrana from the Halifax Mooseheads :yo:

Don't forget the incredible save by Hluchy on Dowell just before that goal. They deserved it.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Just a few thoughts from me about this game and the tournament in total, inregards to team USA.

Despite scoring I wasn't really impressed with Porter. He took a couple of needless penalties.

Once again, Kessel impressed me. It seemed that with almost every US chance Kessel was involved. I'm truly looking forward to seeing him at next years WJC.

Suter really impressed me all tournament long. He's really solid back there. He would shut down many of the oppostions crafty players on the rush. The fact that the rest of the US defensive corps was weak probably made him look even better.

I really like Dan Fritche after this tournament...

As for Montoya? Yeah, he had a bad tournament. However from what I saw most of his problems can be fixed. The Rangers have Benoit Allaire as their Goalie coach. He will fix what's wrong with Montoya and the Rangers will have a good goalie in their system.

That's just my opinion...

Munchausen

joejohnstone said:
How can you look at that play and say anything about Montoya.....you're an ambarassment to Canadians everywhere.

Weirdest comment of the thread...

The Americans were very weak in goals and on D, but they at least got the decency to show up for that game. Nice effort, they just didn't have the needed ressources. Nice to see a game that isn't a complete blow-out in this tournament for a change. I feel USA's fate could have been different with Parise in and Montoya not struggling as much. He's better than what he showed. I don't think he's to blame for that loss though. The team as a whole had limited potential.

flamesfan01800

Jun 30, 2003
Saskatoon, Sask
Visit site
joejohnstone said:
Not only should it have never happened, but Likens is sticking the hell out of Vrana, who knows where the puck is going to go.

The only thing MOntoya could have done was rush out and poke the puck away...but he obviously didn't trust Likens enough to keep his man tied up. I can't blame him, I wouldn't trust Likens to be able to tie his own skates.

:lol

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
From what I have seen of Montoya he seems to have 3 problems. High glove, 5 hole and rebounds. His posistioning and reflexes are fine. The rebounds can be taught.

The bigger concerns are the holes. 5 hole and high glove. 5 hole he can like work on by adjusting his stance a bit. The glove side seems to be a speed issue. I am not goalie coach so I don't know how arm speed can be worked on.

If he can fix those issues he'll be fine. He is still only 19.

leafaholix*

As I predicted... Montoya blew it... and the American defense looked extremely weak on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad