Prospect Info: WJC 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
it's overrated for sure though as it's a short 5-6-7 game tournament with at least one or two games vs weak ass countries that get the ever loving crap kicked out of them. We had Collberg who at 17 was over a ppg, yet Leks at 19 had 1 pt, but one of them is about to hit 300 NHL games while the other is about to start a career in hungarian cabinet making.

Struble was twice invited to USA's camp at 18 and 19 so clearly he's on their radar but since playing in the USHS he's played just 21 games. Struble has almost double the points in a lot less games % wise (since the NCAA season is so short to begin with) then Cam McDonald who plays for the head coach. So is it really a knock on Struble or is the coach just going with a player he trusts over one that has had a number of injuries and who's game is still very raw. We'll see if they made a mistake or not.

I think it says a lot about the talent when you make the team though, and Canada has had a plethora of duds go through its own team. However , its still a gauge to see how your prospects are faring against the best in the world, for evaluation. It is the gold standard for invites and tourneys.

Why is the king of the combine getting hurt so much, and what are his injuries?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think it says a lot about the talent when you make the team though, and Canada has had a plethora of duds go through its own team. However , its still a gauge to see how your prospects are faring against the best in the world, for evaluation. It is the gold standard for invites and tourneys.

i'd have to look it up but I think groin both times for the summer camp. During the season he missed the start due to the injury from the summer and then he was out for the season when he was hit into the boards I believe so it was likely his knee.

Reactions: Habs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought it was odd that Dobes didn't get invited to the Czech team after being the top goalie in the USHL, according to the Czech posters he was invited but had travel issues I assume due to covid and opted to just stay with his USHL team. The poster thought he would have at least been in the running for the starting job.

So if not for covid we would have had the 2 goalies there, Dobes for the Czech's and Dichow with Denmark.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Just I thought it wad odd that Dobes didn't get invited to the Czech team after being the top goalie in the USHL, according to the Czech posters he was invited but had travel issues I assume due to covid and opted to just stay with his USHL team. The poster thought he would have at least been in the running for the starting job.

So if not for covid we would have had the 2 goalies there, Dobes for the Czech's and Dichow with Denmark.

that makes sense.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

i looked it up, groin twice and the ankle during last season,

Struble parfois un « enfoiré » sur la glace

Cette opération a cependant subi deux obstacles qui ont ralenti la courbe de progression. Deux fois plutôt qu’une, Struble a dû composer avec des blessures importantes. La première (des déchirures à l’aine) est survenue pendant le camp de développement du Canadien et la deuxième (une entorse à la cheville) est venue clore son année en plein tournoi du Beanpot.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Thankfully teams don't draft players with the sole purpose of them making their countries WJC.

The decision to draft Struble will prove to be right or wrong, in 3-5yrs.

Not whether or not he makes USA WJC roster

With the physical advantage Struble has over his peers it probably should be expected of him to make the team but his poorly timed injuries seemingly ruined his chances. Not to dispute your claims, plenty of players who went on to have great NHL careers have been overlooked in their countries' WJC selections, but with his tools there certainly was no chance he went unnoticed by USA Hockey.

Reactions: Habs and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
With the physical advantage Struble has over his peers it probably should be expected of him to make the team but his poorly timed injuries seemingly ruined his chances. Not to dispute your claims, plenty of players who went on to have great NHL careers have been overlooked in their countries' WJC selections, but with his tools there certainly was no chance he went unnoticed by USA Hockey.
Well he definitely didn't go unnoticed since he was invited to the camp.

As you said, untimely injuries didn't allow him to compete for a spot, so his exclusion isn't really surprising.

Right now, he needs game action more then anything.

If he stays healthy and has as strong sophomore season, no one will care he didn't make the team.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Norlinder is too old for this?

UnhappyShabbyBlueshark-small.gif

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- Rangers won't loan Lafreniere to Canada.

- Devils won't loan Hughes to USA.

- Leafs will see if the NHL will start back up soon. If they do, Robertson will stay in Toronto. If not, they will loan him to USA.

- Wild will loan Rossi to Austria.

Reactions: Holystik

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
To be fair i dont think AL has anything to learn from this tournament anymore.
In all honesty, I don't think anyone is taking away massive lessons from a 7-game tournament. It's really just pitting the best kids against the best kids on the world stage under a spotlight- it's not a development camp. It's entertainment.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
In all honesty, I don't think anyone is taking away massive lessons from a 7-game tournament. It's really just pitting the best kids against the best kids on the world stage under a spotlight- it's not a development camp. It's entertainment.

Hockey lesson nope. Experience to handle the stress of big games in a big tournaments certainly no doubt in my mind specially for the kids not going far in playoffs with their junior team.

Reactions: QuebecPride

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Hockey lesson nope. Experience to handle the stress of big games in a big tournaments certainly no doubt in my mind specially for the kids not going far in playoffs with their junior team.
That... is fair. I don't think it's overly important though. The spirit of the tournament is really just to give these kids the chance to represent their country infront of an international audience, and to let that international audience enjoy the show. The only reason a player shouldn't be able to attend is due to an NHL obligation (or illness/injury), and even then I'd love to see that not be the case.

To me it should come down to two simple questions: is the player good enough to make the team? Do they want to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad