With this win no one can say we arent the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Til the End of Time said:
I'm talking about two countries playing a sport. I don't know why you brought up literal warfare, because they are two totally different things.

I agree that Canada has the most depth and is the most dominant country in the sport of hockey.

But what I am disagreeing with you about is that depth equals dominance, because it doesn't. Does the team with the most depth win the President's Trophy every year? No, it requires a combination of different things, one of which is depth.

What does this even mean?
Leonsis
Sorry to confuse...i am not always clear. War and sports have a lot of similarities, that is why i brought war into it.

Depth as for one country dominating a sport more than another is PRIME. If i can field two teams equally as good as your one team...regardless of who wins ONE game or even ONE tourney, my group is more dominant than yours.

The ACC is the dominant Basketball conference but not because they have a team win the NCAA every year. Because the depth of competitive teams within that conference is great.

Same with Canada - if they could pose 4 teams that could compete with every other country's top team...then they are dominant.

If that isn't clear...sorry again.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
4U said:
Really? It was two in 1972 so wouldn´t care of that....but you ****o U know that it wouldnt be the same if some scaryass ****ers would whisslle every time that Pat Quoin had a bad moment?

What ever you're smoking.. lay off it :eek:

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
This is what i'm thinking:

If you made 10 teams from each country, with the best players on the first team, and the next best ones on the second, and so forth, teams 2-10 from Canada would dominate all other countries' 2 through 10 teams. I am not saying they would win them all, but in a 10 game series, they would win on average at least 7 games, if not all ten. Look on NHL rosters: The best players from each country can all compete, usually, as seen in the World Cup. Any given year Sweden might be the best team, or Czech, or Russia, so on and so forth. But the third team of the other countries would not be on par with the Canadian third team and so on down the line. The third team of Canada could still ice a player like Rod Brind'Amour and Jeff O'Neill. Who would be on the US team? Joe Sacco (is he even American)? Who would the Finns goalie be? Kari Takko? The Canadians could ice Kevin Weekes on the fourth team. Heck, even Trevor Kidd could be on the tenth team. The NHL is comprised of about 50% canadians. The next highest percentage is like the Americans with something like 15% or so. The depth of the Canadians is by far more that that of any other county.

Now please don't cite nationalism, I am NOT Canadian! I am trying to be realistic. Granted, this doesn't solve the situation about the game tonight, it is just addressing the topic of DEPTH.

If you doubt what I am saying, make a list of all the countries players in the NHL who did NOT compete in the World Cup. (I also recognize that there are good players playing in other countries' leagues, but I don't see these as making a substantial difference.)

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
smoothskater said:
I dont get the people that disagree that Canada is the #1 hockey power in the world? If not Canada who is? Even if Finland wins tonight that doesn't mean their better.

But if Canada wins, then it does, right? :shakehead

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
leafs4thecup said:
Even if we don't win this tourney, on paper, we are the best in the world.

And as we all know, on paper is what matters. ;)

Accordingly, NYR was clearly one of the very best teams in the NHL the last seven seasons, and a multiple Cup winner!

Paper, like talk, is worthless.

You either win or you don't. The rest is hypotheticals and excuses.

(And I say that as one who is rooting for Canada tonight.)

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Finland has to be applauded for the way they developped hockey players. Remember: this is a country smaller than the province of Quebec. I applaud you guys for being so much passionnate about the sport. :handclap:

Is Canada the strongest nation in hockey? Yes. Not because it can win every competition it wants. That kind of domination ended with the fall of communism in the USSR. But it is the only country that can be competitive at every level of play, even at the pee-wee level, for crying out loud.

Americans are discovering in basketball what it means being caught up by other nations. It does not mean that the other countries produce better athletes. In fact, the US still have the better athletes all around in basketball. But as a team, they cannot match the quality of ball control of some other nations. Just like Canada experienced it in hockey in 72.

We should not brag, because this game is international. We should only congratulate ourselves for not letting our guard down and still produce the premier players in the league.

Mountain Dude

Chaos said:
But if Canada wins, then it does, right? :shakehead

Yes, we're winning everything, and historically we've been dominant as well.

You look at best on best tournament victories, who has the most?

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
psycho_dad said:
No, it only means Finlands #1 team is better than any other team in the world. Including the #1 team of Canada.

Nobody can match Canada's depth, everyone knows that.

What are you, insane? Or just ignorant?

Not only did Canada just beat Finland, but we did so without our two best defensemen (Blake, Pronger) not to mention Redden and Jovo....as well as missing the world's best power forward in Todd Bertuzzi. Even then, we beat the best Finland could give us tonight.

I congratulate the Finnish players on a job well done. There's nothing wrong with being second best :)

Feb 24, 2004
If Finland beat Canada 10-0 tonight, I would still come on this board, and tell you all that Canada is still the best.

A first, second, third Canadian Team would still compete with any other country. An example of the top of my head: Steve Sullivan. He certainly is not one of the best 24 forwards that are Canadian, but he is better than any Finnish player except Koivu, Jokinen, and maybe Selanne.

Guys, even if Canada went 0-4 in this tourney, I would still state the same thing. Until another country dominates the awards, the juniors, the seniors, and the majors like we have, then don't tell me this sh*t that if Finland were to beat Canada, they are better.

espo*

4U said:
JUST TELL WHY???
As you wish, here goes...........Reigning olympic champions
Reigning world cup champions
Reigning world championship champions

I guess that's it, nothing else is needed to show you i think.They are still a little better than the rest and their results prove it don't you agree?

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Let's see what 3 Canadian team would look like:

Lemieux - Sakic - Iginla
Smyth - Lecavalier - Heatley
Gagné - Richards - St-Louis
Draper - Thornton - Doan

Niedermayer - Regehr
Brewer - Foote
Bouwmeester - Hannan

Brodeur
Luongo

Tanguay - Morrison - Bertuzzi
Kariya - Marleau - Nolan
Shanahan - Primeau - Murray
Morrow - Peca - Walker

Pronger - Jovanovski
Redden - Blake
Stevens - Stuart

Theodore
Belfour

Stillman - Lindros - Recchi
Nash - Spezza - Sullivan
Arnott - Madden - Brière
Yzerman - Langkow - Dumont

McCabe - Phillips
Aucoin - Sopel
Souray - Boyle

Giguère
Raycroft

Roberts - Rucchin - Ryder
Knuble - Ribeiro - Hunter
Bell - O'Neill - Daigle
Robitaille - McCauley - Tootoo

Morris - Van Ryn
Schultz - Boynton
Brisebois - B. Jackman

Turco
Denis

Hey look I made 4! Although that last one has a pretty weak offense, the D and goaltending is still respectable, they could definitely beat Germany and duke it out with Slovakia.

It surprised me how good that 3rd team really looks and I still had to leave off some past household names like Turgeon, Damphousse and Francis, and some role players like Ricci, Tucker, Moreau... or upcoming stars like Staal, Horton, Torres, Cheechoo.

Hell let's make a 5th!

Last edited:

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Torres - Turgeon - Cheechoo
Damphousse - Staal - Horton
Fisher - Ricci - Tucker
Moreau - Francis - Messier

Sydor - McLaren
Smith - Staios
McGillis - Dempsey

Joseph
Lalime

WOW!! still good defence and goaltending!

Feb 24, 2004
That fifth team could be a dark horse. They could for sure compete withj any of the other Canada teams, plus any other countries, especially in a short tourney.

Kravitch

Is it just me or has Reilly311 gone Jimmy Hoffa on us after Canada won last night?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Ismellofhockey said:
Fisher - Ricci - Tucker

Sydor - McLaren
Smith - Staios
McGillis - Dempsey

Joseph
Lalime

That team is a disgrace. Poor offence, poor defence, and poor goaltending. this team would be average at best in the nhl, nevermind an elite level tourny.

Vic Rattlehead*

Kravitch said:
Is it just me or has Reilly311 gone Jimmy Hoffa on us after Canada won last night?
You're right. I haven't seem him since before the game. I hope he didn't kill himself :joker:

Feb 24, 2004
Fisher - Ricci - Tucker

Sydor - McLaren
Smith - Staios
McGillis - Dempsey

Joseph
Lalime

Fish on The Sand said:
That team is a disgrace. Poor offence, poor defence, and poor goaltending. this team would be average at best in the nhl, nevermind an elite level tourny.

Is that some sort of joke? Just more Canada haters. If you were to put that team in a German uniform, people would be talking about how great the Germans are, and how much they are up and coming. Plus, Joseph is as good a goalie as any on the other countries, with some saying that Kipper is better. Let's use the Finnish example, since they proved that a good TEAM can win. Sydor, Mclaren, Jason Smith, and maybe Dan Mcgillis would all be on that FInnish squad if they were FInns. 7 or 8 forwards, you could make a case, could be on the Finnish squad, in terms of individual skill. Is Mikko Eloranta better than anyone there? Jarrko Ruttu? Aki Freakin Berg? Niko Kapanen?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Why bother with a team 1 - team 5, why not team 1A - team 1E?

Some Dman may not be the best, but no worse than Aki Berg.

Team 1A
Tanguay-Sakic-Iginla
O'Neill-Spezza-Nolan
Torres-Primeau-Tucker
Robitaille-Briere-Stall
Foote-Brewer
Phillips-Morris
Boyle-McGillis
Brodeur
Denis

Team 1B
Nash-Thornton-Doan
Roberts-Yzerman-Recchi
Moreau-Peca-Cheechoo
Stillman-Francis-Dumont
Jovanoski-Reddn
Smith-Boynton
Souray-Brisebois
Luongo
Joseph

Team 1C
Smyth-Lemieux-Bertuzzi
Sullivan-Arnott-Murray
Fischer-Madden-Tucker
Hornton-Lindros-Ryder
Blake-Hannan
Stuart-Jackman
Staios-Dempsey
Theodore
Lalime

Team 1D
Shanahan-Lecavailier-Heatley
Kariya-Morrison-Walker
Bell-McCauley-Linden
Damphouse-Messier-Hunter
Pronger-Aucoin
McCabe-Schultz
McLaren-Sydor
Belfour
Raycroft

Team 1E
Gagne-Richards-St.Louis
Ribiero-Marleau-Recchi
Cooke-Ricci-Draper
Knuble-Rucchin-Daigle
Niedermayer-Regher
Stevens-Bouwmeester
Sopel-Van Ryn
Turco
Giguere

Any of those teams could win against any other countries best. And it's not like they're optimally balanced, I just took the names off here and threw em together in 10 minutes.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Fish on The Sand said:

And about 16 more NHL'ers than Germany had.

It's definitely not a disgrace and would beat most countries 2nd team.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
leafs4thecup said:
Fisher - Ricci - Tucker

Sydor - McLaren
Smith - Staios
McGillis - Dempsey

Joseph
Lalime

Is that some sort of joke? Just more Canada haters. If you were to put that team in a German uniform, people would be talking about how great the Germans are, and how much they are up and coming. Plus, Joseph is as good a goalie as any on the other countries, with some saying that Kipper is better. Let's use the Finnish example, since they proved that a good TEAM can win. Sydor, Mclaren, Jason Smith, and maybe Dan Mcgillis would all be on that FInnish squad if they were FInns. 7 or 8 forwards, you could make a case, could be on the Finnish squad, in terms of individual skill. Is Mikko Eloranta better than anyone there? Jarrko Ruttu? Aki Freakin Berg? Niko Kapanen?

oh boy... that person that posted that is from NANIAMO, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA

and that last team has piss poor goaltending. Both Joseph and Lalime have never proven themselves in the playoffs, and Lalime has never been to the finals. Joseph showed in Salt Lake City that he can't play for his country, he just chokes, chokes and does more choking.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
MooseHunter said:
oh boy... that person that posted that is from NANIAMO, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA

and that last team has piss poor goaltending. Both Joseph and Lalime have never proven themselves in the playoffs, and Lalime has never been to the finals. Joseph showed in Salt Lake City that he can't play for his country, he just chokes, chokes and does more choking.

And Russia, Slovakia, and Sweden had better goaltending? Or by your standard of proving themselves in the playoffs, the Czechs, and maybe Americans as well? And besides, it's not like those are the only goalies left, there's plenty of Canadian goalies left that could play for other teams, like say Thibault or Cloutier. And don't bother laughing because there were three teams that would've loved to have Cloutier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad