With this win no one can say we arent the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
MooseHunter said:
oh boy... that person that posted that is from NANIAMO, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA

and that last team has piss poor goaltending. Both Joseph and Lalime have never proven themselves in the playoffs, and Lalime has never been to the finals. Joseph showed in Salt Lake City that he can't play for his country, he just chokes, chokes and does more choking.

I hate to stand up for 'Lalame', but he's been an incredible goalie in the playoffs these past few years. That is, if you block out that one game. I'm sure most Sens fans haven't though :)

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
4U said:
What is funny is that those referees can do everything that they want to support their team! I remember Canada Cup when Lemieux, Wayne and Messier was playin against Soviet Union with Grutov, Larionov and Makarov!!!! The Soviets were SO MUCH better but Canadiens could do what EVER they wanted and they won the cup with score of 6-5

Yeah. And what about that fantastic foul on Michailov. Canadian player breaking his stick in two over one of the best Soviet player´s ankle. Winning at all costs...That´s Canada

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Slovakia and Russia both had AHL level goalies (with bright futures no doubt) in this tournament, I'm sure anyone can agree that Joseph and Lalime, 2 proven NHL goaltenders are at least as good as those 2.

But if you'd rather get a goalie with a good international record I could have taken Sean Burke and a goalie with Stanley Cup Fianls experience would have been Roloson.

Any way you cut it the goaltending on that 5th team is solid. The offence, well you're bang on about that, it sucks.

As for the defence, Smith, McLaren and Sydor all play key roles on their teams, the latter just won a Cup and the second play in the WCF. Dempsey had a good offensive year but I could have subbed Hamhuis if you prefer or Phaneuf.

McGillis and Staios are also NHL calibre vets, unlike some of the guys Germany and Slovakia had.

The point wasn't to say that 5th team could win the tournament, the point was that the 3rd team could and I think that statement holds true. That 5th team though would not be a disgrace if it were given a chance to play.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Rogalo said:
Yeah. And what about that fantastic foul on Michailov. Canadian player breaking his stick in two over one of the best Soviet player´s ankle. Winning at all costs...That´s Canada

uhh yeah, wouldn't that have been like 30 years ago or something, back in the day when goonery was at its highest in the NHL? Nice way to relate it to the current generation of Canadian hockey players.

chicpea*

Rogalo said:
Just so you know Rogalo, that player, Bobby Clarke, is one of the most hated Canadian players/people in hockey. I guess mostly not because of his dirty style as a player, but it sure doesn't help. You can call us all goons if you like but it's not fair. Just like it would not be fair for me to generalise and say that all Czech players are wimps, like Brendl.

Mountain Dude

Rogalo said:

First of all, it was Kharlamov, and that was just one of the many dirty plays that transpired in that tournament. One of the soviets kicked our player in the head while he was laying on the ice, and he wasn't able to play the rest of the tournament I believe.

The Europeans were just as dirty as the Canadians, apparently in Espisitos book he said that the Swedes sharpened their sticks to spear the Canadians, but we're the only dirty ones because we won. And people always hate the best, and thats what we are.

ALSO, the dirtiest play of 2002 Olympics was a play by a Czech player. Canadians were taking cheap shots all tournament, but you never hear about it, because only Canadians are dirty.

Like Gretz said, "if a Canadian player did it, its a big deal, but its okay for Europeans, because they're not dirty".

EDIT: I'll also bring up the play where Suter nearly ended Gretz's career.

Yeah, Canada is the dirty ones. :rant: :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

Macman

May 15, 2004
Rogalo said:

It's as predictable as the leaves changing colour in the fall or the swallows returning to Capistrano. Canada wins yet another international tournament and some smuck from Europe brings up an incident that happened 32 friggin' years ago. It must bug the hell out of you to see Canada win.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
RandV said:
And Russia, Slovakia, and Sweden had better goaltending? Or by your standard of proving themselves in the playoffs, the Czechs, and maybe Americans as well? And besides, it's not like those are the only goalies left, there's plenty of Canadian goalies left that could play for other teams, like say Thibault or Cloutier. And don't bother laughing because there were three teams that would've loved to have Cloutier.

I'm sorry, but where did I mention other countries? I was talking about Joseph and Lalime, not other countries' goaltenders. I was talking about how they have never won a major championship of any kind, well Joseph at least. Just look at his play against the Canucks in 1995 and against Sweden in the first game of the Olympic tournament in 2002.

Oh and I'm sure Russia, Slovakia, and Sweden would have loved to have Cloutier :lol Yeah, a goaltender that's let in an even longer goal than Salo did against Belarus. :shakehead

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
First of all, it was Kharlamov, and that was just one of the many dirty plays that transpired in that tournament. One of the soviets kicked our player in the head while he was laying on the ice, and he wasn't able to play the rest of the tournament I believe.

The Europeans were just as dirty as the Canadians, apparently in Espisitos book he said that the Swedes sharpened their sticks to spear the Canadians, but we're the only dirty ones because we won. And people always hate the best, and thats what we are.

ALSO, the dirtiest play of 2002 Olympics was a play by a Czech player. Canadians were taking cheap shots all tournament, but you never hear about it, because only Canadians are dirty.

Like Gretz said, "if a Canadian player did it, its a big deal, but its okay for Europeans, because they're not dirty".

Well i dont know about Swedes and other nations but SOviet union played the most clean game there is...The way the game should be played...After collapse now all are playing NHL style..no difference

Astaroth

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal,Qc
Nationalism does bring the big ugly out of people. Let's just say as a Canadian, the arrogance here is incredible. Canada barely squeaked by Finland, if Kipper wasn't very very average, I dare say Finland would have walked away with that god-awful trophy. Canada is a hockey power for sure but it appalls me how Canadians believe they can ice three, four and five extra teams and still dominate. I mean we should have rightly lost against the Czech and we barely beat the Finns. It is to our credit that we've won but... I'm just ... speechless at the garbage displayed here.

Geese_Howard*

god, no one remembers in nagano when we dominated the czhechs yet they still beat us in the shoot out, same will happen here, year or 2 from now, everyone will remember the unbeaten team and nothing more

GO CANADA GO

Feb 24, 2004
Astaroth said:
Nationalism does bring the big ugly out of people. Let's just say as a Canadian, the arrogance here is incredible. Canada barely squeaked by Finland, if Kipper wasn't very very average, I dare say Finland would have walked away with that god-awful trophy. Canada is a hockey power for sure but it appalls me how Canadians believe they can ice three, four and five extra teams and still dominate. I mean we should have rightly lost against the Czech and we barely beat the Finns. It is to our credit that we've won but... I'm just ... speechless at the garbage displayed here.

What is garbage is that you claim of how good Finland and the Czechs are, but if you actually looked at the 2nd, 3rd, fourth teams we came up with, you'd realize that the talent level was about the same as with the other countries, on paper of course.

I'm not being arrogant. I'm just pointing out the fact that many people like to go against the grain and say how the Finns, and the Czechs are so close to Canada just because in the best on best, in a team game, the games were close. That does not mean however, that on paper, those teams are as close. Which is why many believe, and rightly so, that Michael Peca, JP Dumont, Danny Briere, guys like that, who some of you think couldn't beat Germany, would be on every single other countries' team.

You can't deny that fact.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca
MooseHunter said:
oh boy... that person that posted that is from NANIAMO, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA

So?

MooseHunter said:
and that last team has piss poor goaltending. Both Joseph and Lalime have never proven themselves in the playoffs, and Lalime has never been to the finals. Joseph showed in Salt Lake City that he can't play for his country, he just chokes, chokes and does more choking.

Huh? Two number one NHL goaltenders equate to piss poor goaltending? I dislike both Lalime and Cujo, but come on... Lalime choked against the Leafs, now look at when he almost completely shut down Philly a few years ago, or a couple of years ago when his goaltending was a major part of the Sens going to the Eastern Final. He's been a game away from the final and was in the final intill the team in front of him absolutly blew up. He was just fine against the Leafs this year. If it wasn't for Belfour, the Sens had that series wrapped up in 5 or 6. One game doesn't make the man. And don't give me the 'it's the finals and nothing else matters' speech either. Leading a team through to the conference finals is much better than nothing at all.

And Cujo... chokes, chokes, and does more choking? He was near unbeatable in the playoffs with the Leafs. The only reason they didn't go to the finals in 02 is because the Leafs had two lines of Baby Leafs playing through most of the run. He pulled the Leafs kicking and screaming through the playoffs when he was there on more than one occasion. In '92 he didn't choke... he faced near 40 shots agame and kept the Blues in the series against TO. He gave the Oilers a shot at beating Dallas and Ed Belfour. And as far as can't play for his country... you don't remember the '96 WCH do you? Or the WHC? Again, he had one bad game, in a short tournament in which you either try something new or get left behind and had a bad series against Vancouver. What about the other years of Cujo's career when he was regarded as one of the best in the world. And he was just fine these last two years for Detroit. So one bad game in the Olympics and a series against Vancouver will forever over shadow the career of one of the best goaltenders of the last decade.

Go and compare what other countries have to offer in net five teams deep. My guess is that those guys don't have the credentials that Cujo and Lalime have.

So what should we nitpick about next?

MooseHunter said:
Oh and I'm sure Russia, Slovakia, and Sweden would have loved to have Cloutier :lol Yeah, a goaltender that's let in an even longer goal than Salo did against Belarus. :shakehead

Yea... who wants a starting NHL goaltender anyways? :lol

Astaroth said:
Canada is a hockey power for sure but it appalls me how Canadians believe they can ice three, four and five extra teams and still dominate. I mean we should have rightly lost against the Czech and we barely beat the Finns. It is to our credit that we've won but... I'm just ... speechless at the garbage displayed here.

Who's saying we'd dominate? I didn't catch that comment. Someone said they could be a dark horse... kind of like the '04 Flames, or '03 Mighty Ducks, or '03 Wild, or '02 Hurricanes... a team that could surprise. This is a discussion in which the strenght of hockey nations is being debated. They brought up those points as a means to show just how deep Canada can go with good hockey players.

Astaroth

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal,Qc
leafs4thecup said:
What is garbage is that you claim of how good Finland and the Czechs are, but if you actually looked at the 2nd, 3rd, fourth teams we came up with, you'd realize that the talent level was about the same as with the other countries, on paper of course.

I'm not being arrogant. I'm just pointing out the fact that many people like to go against the grain and say how the Finns, and the Czechs are so close to Canada just because in the best on best, in a team game, the games were close. That does not mean however, that on paper, those teams are as close. Which is why many believe, and rightly so, that Michael Peca, JP Dumont, Danny Briere, guys like that, who some of you think couldn't beat Germany, would be on every single other countries' team.

You can't deny that fact.

Talent doesn't mean sh*t on paper. The game is played on the ice and on the ice Canada barely squeaked by both Czech Republic and Finland. We are number one right now because we took the Olympics and the World Cup but just because we have great depth does not mean that our national team is ages away from anyone.

What you have said isn't fact, it's an opinion. You're entitled to it but don't say it's gospel.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
Mountain Dude said:

Woah. Look what i started here :banana:

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
Macman said:
It's as predictable as the leaves changing colour in the fall or the swallows returning to Capistrano. Canada wins yet another international tournament and some smuck from Europe brings up an incident that happened 32 friggin' years ago. It must bug the hell out of you to see Canada win.

Been called a lot of names but NEVER a smug :joker:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
leafs4thecup said:
Michael Peca, JP Dumont, Danny Briere, guys like that, who some of you think couldn't beat Germany, would be on every single other countries' team.
Of those three, Peca would be the only one to make Slovakia's team...

espo*

mattihp said:
Of those three, Peca would be the only one to make Slovakia's team...
Brire would have made it this year,they could have used him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad