With this win no one can say we arent the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicpea*

Rogalo said:
Woah. Look what i started here :banana:
Yes, that's generally the aim of trolls. I suggest you curb your behaviour before you are officially warned.

espo*

mattihp said:
No chance IMO.... They would've rather have put Hossa back in centre than taken smurfy in.
I'm sure they would have been pleased with any talent they could get at this tournament because they did'nt win a game and looked pretty bad doing it.I think they would have been happy with Darren Langdon ,it sure as heck could'nt have hurt.you're flattering yourself

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Langdon? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Slovakia had a powerful offense with huge gaps on defence exposing an average goaltender. They could have used Brière because he's a 60 point player but not Langdon.

As for Canada gooning it up, I don't recall Canada playing Brashear or Laraque in Salt Lake or Toronto, so who played dirty, Mario?
Players at this tournament are almost all elite NHLers, they all play with the same intensity and low propensity to commit fouls.

1972 would have been different with Kharlamov, it could also have been different if they had played at the beginning of summer when NHLers were still in shape... it's useless to point that out anyway, maybe it wouldn't have been any different, we'll never know.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Astaroth said:
Talent doesn't mean sh*t on paper. The game is played on the ice and on the ice Canada barely squeaked by both Czech Republic and Finland. We are number one right now because we took the Olympics and the World Cup but just because we have great depth does not mean that our national team is ages away from anyone.

What you have said isn't fact, it's an opinion. You're entitled to it but don't say it's gospel.

A question, in any single given hockey game, does the better team always win? In the NHL playoffs they use 7 games to determine the better team, I don't understand why some people seem to think that the victor of a single game means dominance, or a single close game by a stronger team means the other team isn't far behind (the Czech team is pretty damn good though).

And is our depth really meaningless? Going into this tournament, we were without our top two Dmen, Pronger and Blake. Stretching things a bit. we also lost two other top regulars MacInnis and Stevens to age(or injury?). Then during the tournament two younger regulars Redden and Jovanoski got knocked out with injury. Thats a full all-star blueline, gone. Yet we still iced the best blueline in the tournament. Could any other team put up a competent blueline at this competition level after losses like that? Hell, why not knock out 6 or so forwards, 3 goalies. We'd still be the best team.

There's one disadvantage to having so much depth though, getting a team identity. A lot of the european players, especialyl the stars, have been playing together and under the same coach pretty much their whole career. The Canadian coach only has a few weeks up to the final to get a team identity whipped together, not an easy task. Finland obviously had the best team game/system this year, and nearly won because of it. Let Jaques Lemaire hand pick a roster and give him a month or two for a training camp to get everyone on the same page, anyone think the Finnish team could stand up to them in a 7 game series?

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
Could any other team put up a competent blueline at this competition level after losses like that?
I don't think the blueline was all THAT great, they had major troubles with both the Czechs, Russians and Finns and were really the only weakness on an otherwise blistering Canadian team.

espo*

Ismellofhockey said:
Langdon? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Slovakia had a powerful offense with huge gaps on defence exposing an average goaltender. They could have used Brière because he's a 60 point player but not Langdon.

As for Canada gooning it up, I don't recall Canada playing Brashear or Laraque in Salt Lake or Toronto, so who played dirty, Mario?
Players at this tournament are almost all elite NHLers, they all play with the same intensity and low propensity to commit fouls.

1972 would have been different with Kharlamov, it could also have been different if they had played at the beginning of summer when NHLers were still in shape... it's useless to point that out anyway, maybe it wouldn't have been any different, we'll never know.
Apparently you missed my sarcasm there,i was'nt really suggesting they could have used Darren Langdon.Actually,come to think of it,when i consider how bad they played as a team and the lack of desire the whole team showed maybe they could have used Langdon.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
H/H said:
I don't think the blueline was all THAT great, they had major troubles with both the Czechs, Russians and Finns and were really the only weakness on an otherwise blistering Canadian team.

Considering they were missing 4 of their top defencemen I thought they did an outstanding job under the pressure. Their weakness did show in the Czech game though.

Astaroth

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal,Qc
RandV said:
A question, in any single given hockey game, does the better team always win? In the NHL playoffs they use 7 games to determine the better team, I don't understand why some people seem to think that the victor of a single game means dominance, or a single close game by a stronger team means the other team isn't far behind (the Czech team is pretty damn good though).

And is our depth really meaningless? Going into this tournament, we were without our top two Dmen, Pronger and Blake. Stretching things a bit. we also lost two other top regulars MacInnis and Stevens to age(or injury?). Then during the tournament two younger regulars Redden and Jovanoski got knocked out with injury. Thats a full all-star blueline, gone. Yet we still iced the best blueline in the tournament. Could any other team put up a competent blueline at this competition level after losses like that? Hell, why not knock out 6 or so forwards, 3 goalies. We'd still be the best team.

There's one disadvantage to having so much depth though, getting a team identity. A lot of the european players, especialyl the stars, have been playing together and under the same coach pretty much their whole career. The Canadian coach only has a few weeks up to the final to get a team identity whipped together, not an easy task. Finland obviously had the best team game/system this year, and nearly won because of it. Let Jaques Lemaire hand pick a roster and give him a month or two for a training camp to get everyone on the same page, anyone think the Finnish team could stand up to them in a 7 game series?

Does the better team always win? Yes, because they've won. As I said it's on the ice it is determined by the players not on paper by analysts and experts. Your seven game logic confuses me since in the NHL we see upsets all the time, we've had three cinderella runs in the last three years. On paper these teams were not even close to the big boys they knocked out, in terms of pure talent.

It's meaningless but overrated by many here who believe that Canada can ice their C team and take it all. Your case of the defense is valid in a sense, it looked pretty good and paper but on the ice it was pretty damned awful agaisnt the Czechs and the Finns. I'm not going to argue that on paper we look good but it's on the ice that the game is played and that's why I disagree with this whole 'Oh we are the best and we could send our 3rd practice squad and still own everybody.' By virtue of our world cup and olympic wins we can say we are the best but by a slim margin, it ain't only Canada's game anymore, pretty much everyone is within striking distance, some more than others . On a side note, a Russian C team made the quarter-finals and could have with luck overtaken the USA. I'd like to see the real Russian A team show up and see what it can do.

I'm not too sure if I agree with the fact that the Europeans and their stars play under the same coach under all their careers, most of them play in the NHL now and they change their national coaches as more times than we do. Everyone is on the same page with two weeks to prepare for the tourny so I don't see how Canada is disavantaged. And yes I do believe the Finns could take down Canada in a seven game series, and anyone who saw the World Cup final would see it that way too I think because, we barely won, we needed Kipper to be very very ordinary, it wasn't like we dominated, not even close.

Feb 24, 2004
Astaroth said:
Does the better team always win? Yes, because they've won. As I said it's on the ice it is determined by the players not on paper by analysts and experts. Your seven game logic confuses me since in the NHL we see upsets all the time, we've had three cinderella runs in the last three years. On paper these teams were not even close to the big boys they knocked out, in terms of pure talent.

It's meaningless but overrated by many here who believe that Canada can ice their C team and take it all. Your case of the defense is valid in a sense, it looked pretty good and paper but on the ice it was pretty damned awful agaisnt the Czechs and the Finns. I'm not going to argue that on paper we look good but it's on the ice that the game is played and that's why I disagree with this whole 'Oh we are the best and we could send our 3rd practice squad and still own everybody.' By virtue of our world cup and olympic wins we can say we are the best but by a slim margin, it ain't only Canada's game anymore, pretty much everyone is within striking distance, some more than others . On a side note, a Russian C team made the quarter-finals and could have with luck overtaken the USA. I'd like to see the real Russian A team show up and see what it can do.

I'm not too sure if I agree with the fact that the Europeans and their stars play under the same coach under all their careers, most of them play in the NHL now and they change their national coaches as more times than we do. Everyone is on the same page with two weeks to prepare for the tourny so I don't see how Canada is disavantaged. And yes I do believe the Finns could take down Canada in a seven game series, and anyone who saw the World Cup final would see it that way too I think because, we barely won, we needed Kipper to be very very ordinary, it wasn't like we dominated, not even close.

Russian C Team??? That was the Russian A team, missing 5 or 6 players. The Russian C team would have Tretiak in net, and Igor Larionov would be too good for it. I don't think there would be one NHLer on that team. Does Russia have 48 players in the NHL? Maybe. Do they have 72? I don't think so.

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
WOW :dunno:

I thought americans were arrogant. Boy was i wrong. I always thought canadian fans had class and passion for hockey. It appears that alot of them just want to be a 5 year old kid who screams i am the best!

-Very Dissapointing.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Buya89 said:

I thought americans were arrogant. Boy was i wrong. I always thought canadian fans had class and passion for hockey. It appears that alot of them just want to be a 5 year old kid who screams i am the best!

-Very Dissapointing.

There are still some good ones left :D

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Pantokrator said:
But the third team of the other countries would not be on par with the Canadian third team and so on down the line. The third team of Canada could still ice a player like Rod Brind'Amour and Jeff O'Neill. Who would be on the US team? Joe Sacco (is he even American)? Who would the Finns goalie be? Kari Takko? The Canadians could ice Kevin Weekes on the fourth team. Heck, even Trevor Kidd could be on the tenth team. The NHL is comprised of about 50% canadians. The next highest percentage is like the Americans with something like 15% or so. The depth of the Canadians is by far more that that of any other county.

1: copied for WCH team, rest are off-the-hip
Miika Kiprusoff
Kari Lehtonen
Vesa Toskala

2:
Pasi Nurminen
Jani Hurme
Mika Noronen

3:
Jussi Markkanen
Antero Niittymäki
Frederik Norrena

4:
Niklas Bäckström
Ari Ahonen
Hannu Toivonen

5-9
Lassila, Karjalainen, Rask, Helanen, Kimmo Kapanen, I know I'm missing out a few in North America.. these teams would then be filled out by SM-Liiga goalies

And thus we arrive at # 10:
Ari Sulander
Jarmo Myllys
Pasi Häkkinen

I think, only Canada can compete with goaltender depth with Finland today. And even then,only barely better. Trevor Kidd on Canada's 10th team? These 10th teams look quite even to me then..

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
Buya89 said:

-Very Dissapointing.

OK. Who would be in the Russian C team in your opinion?

chicpea*

Rogalo said:
Wow. You sound really dangerous :eek: :lol
:lol ha, i wasn't trying to sound dangerous rogalo, just giving you a heads up. Trolling itself is often hard to prove, but when you come right out and say so like you did above someone might report it, that's all i meant. anyway, welcome to hfboards and I hope to see you in other discussions where we are all less emotional and can be a bit more civilised. :)

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
chicpea said:
:lol ha, i wasn't trying to sound dangerous rogalo, just giving you a heads up. Trolling itself is often hard to prove, but when you come right out and say so like you did above someone might report it, that's all i meant. anyway, welcome to hfboards and I hope to see you in other discussions where we are all less emotional and can be a bit more civilised. :)

OK. Thanx for the reception then :) I´ll be good from now on ;)

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Buya89 said:

-Very Dissapointing.

You're blowing this way out of proportion, as I said on another thread this was a fairly hollow victory for Canada for many reasons, the main one being that we don't have to prove as much as in Salt Lake, when Canadian hockey was on its knees.
There was a lot of talk on these boards back then about how the Czechs, Swedes and US had surpassed Canada, with Martin Rucinsky going so far as to say "we're not worried about Canada" during the Olympics.

So now that we're back at the top it's not ethical for us to be happy about it? All of a sudden we're arrogant because Team Canada proved Rucinsky wrong?

Team Canada has talent, that's a topic of discussion, Team Canada has depth, that's another topic of discussion and it sure as hell shouldn't make us arrogant to bring attention to it. Team Canada also has flaws and that's also been a topic of discussion but we don't brand everyone who brings attention to it as arrogant 5 year olds.

I'm happy someone made a list of Finnish goaltenders, it's impressive and it surprised me, is that person arrogant because he bought in to the discussion?

Someone could make a list of Russian teams and make a real thread out of this, but instead we have to talk about whether or not it's okay to talk about this. :shakehead

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Ismellofhockey said:
So now that we're back at the top it's not ethical for us to be happy about it? All of a sudden we're arrogant because Team Canada proved Rucinsky wrong?
There's a big difference between being happy about and just being silly in talking crap about the other teams.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
No "crap" was spoken about any other team, it was said that Canada is #1 in the world (which right now holds true), it was said that Canada's depth is unmatched (which seems to hold true as well) and some posters posted their personal opinions on the worth of particular players.

The only "crap" I've read so far have been attacks on the value of this win because of refereeing, rules, home soil...etc and bringing up one of the most shameful events in hockey seemingly out of the blue, namely Bob Clark's slash on Kharlamov for no particular reason other than to tarnish canadian hockey.

Taken in context, no poster has said anything disrespectful about any other country. So what's this "crap" you're alluding to?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Ismellofhockey said:
No "crap" was spoken about any other team, it was said that Canada is #1 in the world (which right now holds true), it was said that Canada's depth is unmatched (which seems to hold true as well) and some posters posted their personal opinions on the worth of particular players.

The only "crap" I've read so far have been attacks on the value of this win because of refereeing, rules, home soil...etc and bringing up one of the most shameful events in hockey seemingly out of the blue, namely Bob Clark's slash on Kharlamov for no particular reason other than to tarnish canadian hockey.

Taken in context, no poster has said anything disrespectful about any other country. So what's this "crap" you're alluding to?
The crap were all the exaggerations of Canada's depth etc. I already know that it's the Canada Cup, with a new name, so talks about home ice advantage and such is irrelevent, it's meant to be like that.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
Ismellofhockey said:
namely Bob Clark's slash on Kharlamov for no particular reason other than to tarnish canadian hockey.

Bringing that up was my idea :banana: Cool down. You won, the rest of the world lost. Unfortunately noone is gonna remember that the Czech team had the Canadians by the balls but did not squeeze hard enough:) Mainly because of the czech offensive impotence... But enough said about that. You have a great team you can and should be proud of.

Kravitch

I sent out a search party to find the missing Wilka91 and Reilly311. Right after Canada was named champions of the world, POOF! They dissapeared and haven't been seen since! :lol

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Kravitch said:
I sent out a search party to find the missing Wilka91 and Reilly311. Right after Canada was named champions of the world, POOF! They dissapeared and haven't been seen since! :lol

Enjoy your moments because we will do the same after 2006 Olympics! :banana: :jump:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad