With this win no one can say we arent the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In my honest opinion I can see a 4-1 Canadian victory tonight. Then agian I said the same thing about the Czech game. I think there is too much offense for Canada and Kipper will have too much rubber coming at him. That said I think it'll be a great game, Finland is no longer the country that we beat 11-2 in the '76 Canada CUp or 9-0 in '81.

What impresses me about this team is that they dont have a reall BIG superstar but a lot of good players throughout their lineup. And that cant be overlooked.

That said if we win this tourny I hope this shuts up all of the critics, not just American or Euros, even our own Canadian people, that we are the best on the planet. And let it never happen again that its siad thart we cant produce skilled players anymore. Amen. Let the games begin!

High flyin' Habs*

Big Phil said:
In my honest opinion I can see a 4-1 Canadian victory tonight. Then agian I said the same thing about the Czech game. I think there is too much offense for Canada and Kipper will have too much rubber coming at him. That said I think it'll be a great game, Finland is no longer the country that we beat 11-2 in the '76 Canada CUp or 9-0 in '81.

What impresses me about this team is that they dont have a reall BIG superstar but a lot of good players throughout their lineup. And that cant be overlooked.

That said if we win this tourny I hope this shuts up all of the critics, not just American or Euros, even our own Canadian people, that we are the best on the planet. And let it never happen again that its siad thart we cant produce skilled players anymore. Amen. Let the games begin!

Who could doubt that Canada isn't #1 in the world? Do they have the stuff to back their word up??

Feb 24, 2004
Big Phil said:

Even if we don't win this tourney, on paper, we are the best in the world. People can't deny that, when the Hart trophy, ConnSmythe, Norris, Selke, Vezina, Art Ross, and Jack Adams(Is Torts Canadian?) are all Canadian.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
leafs4thecup said:
Even if we don't win this tourney, on paper, we are the best in the world. People can't deny that, when the Hart trophy, ConnSmythe, Norris, Selke, Vezina, Art Ross, and Jack Adams(Is Torts Canadian?) are all Canadian.
kind of funny that if quebec separates, we lose like half of those :joker:

High flyin' Habs*

Fish on The Sand said:
kind of funny that if quebec separates, we lose like half of those :joker:

And most importantly you'll lose some of the best goaltenders in the world, Brodeur, up and coming Luongo and proven Theodore.

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Canada is the far superior country...period. There can't be much argument to that - even if Finland wins.

Canada's depth is proof.

If every country fielded their top three teams...Canada's 2nd and 3rd teams could possibly still win the World Cup whereas no other country's 2nd team would come close. And if you went 10 teams of 20 man rosters...Canada would have five teams that could beat Germany (which is supposedly a top 8 team in the world - no disrespect to Germany they played well especially in that 2-1 loss to the Finns)

Canada is the only team that has to SELECT players and still leave off top tier players...

My numbers are debatable - but Canada's depth of top-tier players is not...it is obviously the deepest hockey talent in the world. And furthermore Canada can easily claim dominance in the sport.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
When did winning a hockey tournament become akin to the moon landing? Props to whoever wins tonight, but if there is ever a title that exists in a vacuum, it's "world's greatest hockey nation." Whatever makes our neighbors (Canada or Finland)to the north feel happy I suppose........... :razz:

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AGraveOne said:
Canada is the far superior country...period. There can't be much argument to that - even if Finland wins.

Canada's depth is proof.

If every country fielded their top three teams...Canada's 2nd and 3rd teams could possibly still win the World Cup whereas no other country's 2nd team would come close. And if you went 10 teams of 20 man rosters...Canada would have five teams that could beat Germany (which is supposedly a top 8 team in the world - no disrespect to Germany they played well especially in that 2-1 loss to the Finns)

Canada is the only team that has to SELECT players and still leave off top tier players...

My numbers are debatable - but Canada's depth of top-tier players is not...it is obviously the deepest hockey talent in the world. And furthermore Canada can easily claim dominance in the sport.

Depth has nothing to do with best, and Canada isn't easily the most dominant hockey playing nation.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
AGraveOne said:
If every country fielded their top three teams...Canada's 2nd and 3rd teams could possibly still win the World Cup
Don't overdo it.

Not really. This generation shift was pretty much necessary to continue Canada's reign. There's a few more players that might have made the team, but no "top tier" is really left out on purpose.

The reason Cabada is so great at the sport is simple. Hockey is by far the dominant sport. If you're an athletic talent in Canada you choose hockey, no question, whereas in the other hockey countries several sports compete for the youth's interests and hockey finds itself outmuscled in several of them.

Canada also has a fantastic and most of all serious junior league system. I think Canada is the only country in the world where junior league hockey actually has an audience.

But I wouldn't say Canada is "easily" the best. Any team of the big 6 could beat the other one on any given night. Remember you barely made it past the Czechs with the help of godawful refereeing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AGraveOne said:
yep - easily.

How so? Are you saying Canada sweeps through every tournament featuring players from age 6-60 with nary a loss, destruction in their wake? I don't think so. Canada has had a nice run over the past few years, but it hasn't been complete domination by any stretch.

Last edited:

High flyin' Habs*

Rabid Ranger said:
When did winning a hockey tournament become akin to the moon landing? Props to whoever wins tonight, but if there is ever a title that exists in a vacuum, it's "world's greatest hockey nation." Whatever makes our neighbors (Canada or Finland)to the north feel happy I suppose........... :razz:

I thaught the moon landing was a hox? lol

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
H/H said:
Don't overdo it.

Not really. This generation shift was pretty much necessary to continue Canada's reign. There's a few more players that might have made the team, but no "top tier" is really left out on purpose.

The reason Cabada is so great at the sport is simple. Hockey is by far the dominant sport. If you're an athletic talent in Canada you choose hockey, no question, whereas in the other hockey countries several sports compete for the youth's interests and hockey finds itself outmuscled in several of them.

Canada also has a fantastic and most of all serious junior league system. I think Canada is the only country in the world where junior league hockey actually has an audience.

But I wouldn't say Canada is "easily" the best. Any team of the big 6 could beat the other one on any given night. Remember you barely made it past the Czechs with the help of godawful refereeing.
If you split the talent onto three teams - Canada could easily put 3 teams in this tourney that would have as good a chance as any to win the whole thing.

(i am not canadian)

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Rabid Ranger said:
How so? Are you saying Canada sweeps through every tournament featuring players from age 6-60 with nary a loss, destruction in their wake? I don't think so. Canada has had a nie run over the past few years, but it hasn't been complete domination by any stretch.
All i'm saying is that a tournament does NOT give claim to a dominant hockey nation...depth of greatness does...it is perspective, i suppose.

Canada could put forth more quality teams and potentially finish any tournaments with 3 of the top 5 teams...how is that not dominant?

High flyin' Habs*

Rabid Ranger said:
How so? Are you saying Canada sweeps through every tournament featuring players from age 6-60 with nary a loss, destruction in their wake? I don't think so. Canada has had a nie run over the past few years, but it hasn't been complete domination by any stretch.

The same goes to the American bsketball team, so I guess just because they didnt sweep throught the olympics (note:they didnt even win) means that their not #1 in the world?

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
AGraveOne said:
If you split the talent onto three teams - Canada could easily put 3 teams in this tourney that would have as good a chance as any to win the whole thing.

(i am not canadian)

I doubt. Think about it seriously. The third team probably wouldn't have even one first line forward or one no.1 defenseman on it.

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
H/H said:
I doubt. Think about it seriously. The third team probably wouldn't have even one first line forward or one no.1 defenseman on it.
you'd have to create the teams with a brain...not just put top 20 players on team 1...next 20 on team 2 and then next 20 on team 3

but even then...does canada only have 12 number 1 dmen in the NHL? I don't know off hand...
How about #1 forwards...they only have 24 in the nhl?

High flyin' Habs*

I dont get the people that disagree that Canada is the #1 hockey power in the world? If not Canada who is? Even if Finland wins tonight that doesn't mean their better.

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Til the End of Time said:
Depth doesn't equal dominance.
Depth does equal dominance if two countries go to war and one country has one unit of top-tier fighters and another country has 5 units of those smae calibre fighters...

the second country is dominant.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
AGraveOne said:
you'd have to create the teams with a brain...not just put top 20 players on team 1...next 20 on team 2 and then next 20 on team 3

but even then...does canada only have 12 number 1 dmen in the NHL? I don't know off hand...
How about #1 forwards...they only have 24 in the nhl?

I'm talking quality, not necessarily the numbers. They could barely squeeze by the Czechs as it was and Russia gave them a fair match as well, do you really think the next team would've been able to hold against that pressure? I don't.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
AGraveOne said:
Depth does equal dominance if two countries go to war and one country has one unit of top-tier fighters and another country has 5 units of those smae calibre fighters...

the second country is dominant.

Not really. If the first country makes smarter use of their unit and the second flounders strategically with his 5 then the first one got every chance of winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad