Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
Drouin was a pretty confident and cocky player when he came into the league. I’m not sure labelling him “mentally weak” is the most appropriate term.
I think Drouin's just the type of player that gets on mental highs and lows depending the way things go for him. I'm normally not a big fan of reclamation projects but I'd say he wouldn't be a bad reclamation project to have.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Really dude... Crosby also has the personality of a door knob and Kane gets negative publicity I'm not even sure why you said the bolded it has nothing to do with anything. Yeah done talking about it if you just gonna post shit that's irrelevant to anything. I am talking about bringing excitement to the game and you bring up one of the biggest losers in the NHL. We haven't had a player as exciting to watch as Z since Kariya, not even Selanne was this exciting (although obviously more productive).

You’re the one bringing up irrelevant points about how much press he gets compared to Getzlaf. At the end of the day I would rather pay a player based on how good they are, not what style they play and how many Instagram likes they get. Winning sells more than anything in this league, it doesn’t matter how exciting your team is if you miss they playoffs the fans aren’t going to come and you are going to miss out on valuable playoff revenue also.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
You’re the one bringing up irrelevant points about how much press he gets compared to Getzlaf. At the end of the day I would rather pay a player based on how good they are, not what style they play and how many Instagram likes they get. Winning sells more than anything in this league, it doesn’t matter how exciting your team is if you miss they playoffs the fans aren’t going to come and you are going to miss out on valuable playoff revenue also.

How is marketability irrelevant? Are you serious? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Imagine thinking marketability doesn't matter in sports. He has both marketability and on ice performance to match. Agree to disagree and I'm done talking about it.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How is marketability irrelevant? Are you serious? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Imagine thinking marketability doesn't matter in sports. He has both marketability and on ice performance to match. Agree to disagree and I'm done talking about it.

Because winning sells more than anything else. Marketability is nice but players should be paid based on how much they help their team win.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Getzlaf’s stats when he signed his contract were 118 points in 158 games which is a 61 point pace. He had also led a cup winning team in scoring - he was paid based off his massive breakout in the playoffs and he started 07-08 red hot with 21 points his first 19 games.

That said by the time Zegras is eligible to sign an extension he’s going to have far more of a track record than he does currently - I don’t know why we are bringing up his contract when we don’t know how the rest of the year plays out. If he keeps his current pace I would far rather pay Zegras 8x8 than I would pay someone like Hughes that amount.

Because Iceman wrote an article about how the Hughes deal might impact Zegras' next one. I agree with you that this discussion is incredibly premature and will absolutely age like milk.

Reactions: StarDucks

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Thats not what people said. People said they would be okay with that deal for Z based on what he's done so far and where he's trending. We still have 7 months before he can even sign an extension.
Exactly, that being said if it was possible I would do it right now too.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again - Zegras will not be signing an 8x8 contract. He will either have achieved superstar status and want 8-12x8, or will bet on himselftake a 3-5 year bridge contract at 8-9. There’s supposed to be a big cap jump relatively soon, and he won’t leave all that money on the table.

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020
Thats not what people said. People said they would be okay with that deal for Z based on what he's done so far and where he's trending. We still have 7 months before he can even sign an extension.
That is what people said. And that’s what I’ve been arguing against the whole thread.

Everyone is well aware he can’t sign an extension till next summer.

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020
I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again - Zegras will not be signing an 8x8 contract. He will either have achieved superstar status and want 8-12x8, or will bet on himselftake a 3-5 year bridge contract at 8-9. There’s supposed to be a big cap jump relatively soon, and he won’t leave all that money on the table.
The max jump in the cap is 1m a year for each of the next 5 years. And that’s not guaranteed

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The max jump in the cap is 1m a year for each of the next 5 years. And that’s not guaranteed
That’s the max expected jump based on revenues paying off the massive escrow debt the players have built up, until revenues crest 4.8B. That still leaves 4 of those 8 years outside that limitation, which is why I said he’d want a 3-5 year deal. Getzlaf’s contract was a 5 year deal too.

That is what people said. And that’s what I’ve been arguing against the whole thread.

Everyone is well aware he can’t sign an extension till next summer.
Unless it’s a ridiculous offer, he won’t be signing until summer 2023 however.

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020
That’s the max expected jump based on revenues paying off the massive escrow debt the players have built up, until revenues crest 4.8B. That still leaves 4 of those 8 years outside that limitation, which is why I said he’d want a 3-5 year deal. Getzlaf’s contract was a 5 year deal too.

Unless it’s a ridiculous offer, he won’t be signing until summer 2023 however.

i can certainly see Zegras wanting the proverbial bridge deal if he performs. And that’s a good point about him possibly wanting to wait until the end of the escrow to sign is “forever deal”. The cap may not move up much after that, but it might. No downside for A kid that as you say, is likely to bet on himself

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If he wants a bridge there’s no way I give him close to what Point or Barzal got unless he explodes into superstar territory. Not a chance I give him 8x8 right now either given what Svechnikov just signed for. That may change by the off-season but as of right now he hasn’t justified getting that.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If he wants a bridge there’s no way I give him close to what Point or Barzal got unless he explodes into superstar territory. Not a chance I give him 8x8 right now either given what Svechnikov just signed for. That may change by the off-season but as of right now he hasn’t justified getting that.
So you’d want him traded?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Zegras has played 46 games, and has 12 points in his last 9 games. Regardless of whether that is a hot streak or a harbinger of things to come, there will be 140 more regular season + any playoff games before he signs that contract. This discussion is waaaaaaay premature.

Last edited:
Reactions: FiveHoleTickler
Oct 18, 2011
Because winning sells more than anything else. Marketability is nice but players should be paid based on how much they help their team win.
At the end of the day sports is entertainment. Yes winning is the most important thing at the end of the day but people wanna be entertained

Oct 18, 2011
Zegras has played 46 games, and has 12 points in his last 9 games. Regardless of whether that is a hot streak or a harbinger of things to come, there will be 140 more regular season + any playoff games before he signs that contract. This discussion is waaaaaaay premature.
It's not premature you are seeing it more and more in sports where teams want to lock up guys early because you will pay more later. It is a risk.

The Ray's just gave Wander Franco 200 million dollars. He's played 70 mlb games, they know they would be paying alot more if they waited even another year

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Re your last point, I completely agree - I said that earlier in the thread. And I agree with your first point that things will change a lot also but he’s eligible to sign July 1 so it could only be another 55 games of sample size if they choose to sign him early.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
At the end of the day sports is entertainment. Yes winning is the most important thing at the end of the day but people wanna be entertained

Agreed but winning trumps flashiness in terms of selling tickets. Ideally you win and play an entertaining style like the Lightning. But if you give me two players with equal contracts and ask me to choose I take whoever is the better player everyday no matter how entertaining the other player is.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Re your last point, I completely agree - I said that earlier in the thread. And I agree with your first point that things will change a lot also but he’s eligible to sign July 1 so it could only be another 55 games of sample size if they choose to sign him early.
Agreed it could be, but I don’t see any reason why he would do so unless it’s a gross overpayment. The difference between what Point got and what Svechnikov got was that 3rd year of the ELC.

Reactions: Paul4587

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

This discussion is exactly the Fowler-Lindholm comp. Fowler is the flashier defenseman because he scores and the media loves propping him up often. Lindholm doesn't score like Fowler, but he helps gets wins by shutting down opponents and getting the pucks out of the defensive zone fast. Only a few media will write about Lindholm and his defense. Good thing we have both and healthy to win and be entertained. Except last night, Lindholm was off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad