Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I
everyone just assumes trajectories are linear upwards for young forwards. Until they are not. Sample size matters. Do I think it’s likely Zegras only becomes a consistent 50 or player? No. Is it possible? Of course. In fact it’s possible he becomes even less than that. Or he becomes the next Marner/Kane. The point is players usually have to prove it first, and THEN get paid. Teams have tried the opposite, and it’s blown up in their face more times then once. Everyone thinks their guy is a can’t miss talent until, … well until they miss
Don't think any disagrees that there is risk but there is also reward. Look at draisitl. He probably ends up in the middle and is right where he should be.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So is Z going to choose #13? Would be ecstatic. I am a Dolphins fan, some good company with that #. Lol

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ever heard of Johnathon Drouin?
Drouin is mentally weak. In Tampa it was said he had character/ethic issues and they were trying to get rid of him and landed a stud in return in Segeichev.
Then his problems in Montreal are that he lacks confidence and is depressed ?
Zegras is a completely different personality and has so much confidence in himself.

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020
Drouin is mentally weak. In Tampa it was said he had character/ethic issues and they were trying to get rid of him and landed a stud in return in Segeichev.
Zegras is a completely different personality and has so much confidence in himself.

But the rhetoric was the same. “ you know a can’t miss talent when you see one”. Not saying Zegras will be a Drouin, just saying all these statements of certainty around the type of player Zegras WILL be in a few years are just a tad premature

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Drouin was a pretty confident and cocky player when he came into the league. I’m not sure labelling him “mentally weak” is the most appropriate term.

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
But the rhetoric was the same. “ you know a can’t miss talent when you see one”. Not saying Zegras will be a Drouin, just saying all these statements of certainty around the type of player Zegras WILL be in a few years are just a tad premature
Maybe I shouldn’t have phrased it that way but that’s just what I believe, I don’t see a way that Zegras can bust barring injury or other external factor based on what I’ve seen already but if others aren’t sold then that’s fine

Oct 18, 2011
You’d give a guy who’s played 46 NHL games a 8x8 and make him the highest payed player on the team?

yikes
Yes because you will be paying 10x8 if you wait too long

Or worse you end up in a Matthew's situation where you pay market value and also don't get many UFA years bought up

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Drouin was a pretty confident and cocky player when he came into the league. I’m not sure labelling him “mentally weak” is the most appropriate term.
If a guy can't handle playing for the most crazy hockey market in the NHL, he certainly isn't mentally strong if it is effected him that much.
Glad he got the help he needed.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Should note. Based on % of cap 8 mill now is probably less then the 5 mill Getzlaf got on his second dealm

This.
When Getzlaf signed his second contract it was 9.44% of the cap.
Zegras signing for 8 mil now would be 10.18% of the cap.

The equivalent of Getzlaf's second contract is 7.7 mil now.

Edit: LOL and Getzlaf only had like 70 games played in the NHL when he signed it.

Edit #2:

Okay comparing to Getzlaf is actually hilarious for the people thinking this is obsurd.

Getzlaf career stats when he signed his contract:
78 games
53 points
55 point pace

His second contract was 9.44% of the cap.
He was in his D+4

Zegras now:
46 Games
30 points
54 point pace

8x8 would be 10.18% of the cap.
He is in his D+3.

Edit #3: Lol I'm an idiot.

I was basing everything I said off of him signing November of 2006. Carry on while I live my shame.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This.
When Getzlaf signed his second contract it was 9.44% of the cap.
Zegras signing for 8 mil now would be 10.18% of the cap.

The equivalent of Getzlaf's second contract is 7.7 mil now.

Edit: LOL and Getzlaf only had like 70 games played in the NHL when he signed it.

Edit #2:

Okay comparing to Getzlaf is actually hilarious for the people thinking this is obsurd.

Getzlaf career stats when he signed his contract:
78 games
53 points
55 point pace

His second contract was 9.44% of the cap.
He was in his D+4

Zegras now:
46 Games
30 points
54 point pace

8x8 would be 10.18% of the cap.
He is in his D+3.

Getzlaf’s stats when he signed his contract were 118 points in 158 games which is a 61 point pace. He had also led a cup winning team in scoring - he was paid based off his massive breakout in the playoffs and he started 07-08 red hot with 21 points his first 19 games.

That said by the time Zegras is eligible to sign an extension he’s going to have far more of a track record than he does currently - I don’t know why we are bringing up his contract when we don’t know how the rest of the year plays out. If he keeps his current pace I would far rather pay Zegras 8x8 than I would pay someone like Hughes that amount.

Reactions: StarDucks

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Getzlaf’s stats when he signed his contract were 118 points in 158 games which is a 61 point pace. He had also led a cup winning team in scoring - he was paid based off his massive breakout in the playoffs and he started 07-08 red hot with 21 points his first 19 games.

That said by the time Zegras is eligible to sign an extension he’s going to have far more of a track record than he does currently - I don’t know why we are bringing up his contract when we don’t know how the rest of the year plays out. If he keeps his current pace I would far rather pay Zegras 8x8 than I would pay someone like Hughes that amount.

Not true. He signed his contract on November 20th 2007.

Edit: Lol I'm an idiot.

I was basing everything I said off of him signing November of 2006. Carry on while I live my shame.

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020

The fact that people are trying to compare Zegras right now to Getzlaf in 2008 is kinda all I need to know to leave this discussion alone at this point. I guess the kid has already proven as much as a guy with 4x as many games at the time of that singing and just won a Stanley cup (and was the leading scorer on that team)

Reactions: Yemeth and Paul4587

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras is getting more press for the Ducks than Getzlaf ever got, you aren't only getting the on ice performance everyone on social media is re-posting. He is literally like a young Kobe, everyone is just excited to see him play and when he touches the puck you almost hold your breath because ANYTHING is possible.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Zegras is getting more press for the Ducks than Getzlaf ever got, you aren't only getting the on ice performance everyone on social media is re-posting. He is literally like a young Kobe, everyone is just excited to see him play and when he touches the puck you almost hold your breath because ANYTHING is possible.

Evander Kane gets more press than Crosby but you don’t see anyone saying he should get paid more.

Stupid example above aside if I’m a GM I would rather pay a player based on what he does on the ice, not how marketable they are. Winning sells more than anything else, I am paying a player for what he does on the ice as opposed to off the ice. If it was all about marketability and personality then Jeremy Roenick should have been the highest paid player of all time.

That said Zegras is very good on the ice so he’s going to get paid well no matter what.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Evander Kane gets more press than Crosby but you don’t see anyone saying he should get paid more.

Stupid example above aside if I’m a GM I would rather pay a player based on what he does on the ice, not how marketable they are. Winning sells more than anything else, I am paying a player for what he does on the ice as opposed to off the ice. If it was all about marketability and personality then Jeremy Roenick should have been the highest paid player of all time.

That said Zegras is very good on the ice so he’s going to get paid well no matter what.
Really dude... Crosby also has the personality of a door knob and Kane gets negative publicity I'm not even sure why you said the bolded it has nothing to do with anything. Yeah done talking about it if you just gonna post shit that's irrelevant to anything. I am talking about bringing excitement to the game and you bring up one of the biggest losers in the NHL. We haven't had a player as exciting to watch as Z since Kariya, not even Selanne was this exciting (although obviously more productive).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad